Land Ranger Pro on nickles

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its how you adjust the disc level .. use a pulltab / gold item -- when adjusted properly the pulltab should not ring up and the gold item should have a strong sharp ping ... however if the tab still comes in still it should sound crackly o r fuzzy --sort of odd --not a sharp clear ping like gold does..

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The LRP doesn't "lock" onto nickels as well as other coins. Once the nickel is more than 3" in the ground, the TID starts to travel, usually towards iron. I have proved this to FTP engineers with a video. But this doesn't happen in the AM mode as much. With a little time, you can ID nickels over pull tabs (which DO lock well). My rings (from past digs) lock in different parts of the gold range just fine. The LRP will still detect any metal in the ground to 8" or more, it's just not as much a nickel coin magnet as much as a silver coin magnet. Some digital detectors are just that way, since the depth software is designed for "coin" sized objects.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled plenty of nickels when I hunted with the LRP.

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Normally when I see 34 or 35 it is a nickel. Only nickel I noticed that was bouncing around had a mercury touching it, 40-44 to 60 and back to low 40s.
I will try to pay a little more attention to them but I ground balance pretty often when hunting which probably helps.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled plenty of nickels when I hunted with the LRP.

Remember this pic you posted using the LRP first time?

20151010_161001.jpg

I see 4 nickels.:laughing7:

Lots of silver though.:notworthy:

Skrimps

Feb 3, 2016
North Florida
Detector(s) used
LandRangerPro, Minelab GF40, Land or Sea Pinpointer, Truper Short Shovel, Harbor Freight Detector & Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30-34/35..... I will normally dig.

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm learning this great machine and am becoming very confident on knowing what I'm digging before I dig it in terms of coins. Going to the local park and hunting is a great way to learn the "coin tones" as I call them. I never dig a solid 37 anymore (always pull tabs). Solid 35 is always a nickel. I've actually dug quite a few this past weak after learning what number to look for. I also find the pull tabs that ring at a 37 occasionally ring up to a 40-41 on a swipe or two. Dimes have been coming up around a 61-62 on my machine, while pennies are upper 50's, often 57.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled 3X 1964 nickels today. Lift the coil .5 inches and sweep again and then .5 higher and sweep again. Anytime it bounces LOWER than 35 on the ID (34-33) it is almost always going to be a nickel. Anything that travels HIGHER than 35 on the ID (37-38) is most likely a tab.

Nothing is set in stone of course - but the percentages are very high if see those readings as you lift your coil in .5 increments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread