LARGE CENT CACHE (Its Mindblowing!)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
LARGE CENT CACHE (It's Mindblowing!)

I would have been less surprised if aliens had landed in front of us, than I was by what happened today. Earthworks and I went out to the old site today where we've had very good luck lately. The site is pretty spread out and was part of an old town way back when. Now it's faded mostly into woods and some of a residential area. Part of it we started detecting a couple of years ago, but there's a new area we just started detecting in recent months, and this area has been most productive. We were not having much luck, when Earthworks changed things by finding an 1864 2 Cent piece, great condition. His first one, so we were high fiving. Little did we know the drama that was about to unfold.

We head back toward the main modern road today, but still in the woods in an area where three large cents have been found in recent weeks. I get a good copper signal and start to dig, all of a sudden the dirt goes down into a hole like a drain opened up below. I lose the signal, but have Earthworks come over and his detector is getting it still. We dig, dig and dig some more and out pops a nice Large Cent, 1844. We high five and I get up and move about six feet to the left and start to look. Earthworks scans closer to the area where I found mine, just a foot to the left of the Large Cent hole. He has on headphones, so I can't hear his machine, so he yells out, THERE's MORE HERE! I say go for it, it's not the same hole as mine. He starts to dig, dig, dig,,,out comes another Large Cent...hours later now we are confused on the order of dates,,,you will soon see why...While he is pulling out that Large Cent (#2) I get a great signal about 6 feet to the left of him. I just dig a couple of inches and out pops ANOTHER Large Cent (#3). We look at each other like -- what the hell is going on! Meanwhile, he's rescanning the hole and yells again "Another good signal here!"-- dig, dig,,,,I am leaning down in the hole as well..dig...ANOTHER LARGEY (#4). We look at each other, eyes as big as saucers and we are laughing and fist bumping, what is the deal, we have searched this area...Earthworks is convinced at this point the wet ground is bringing out more signals...good point! He rescans and AGAIN...another signal..we are freaking at this point...but maintaining our focus (kind of)...dig, dig, dig..there it is!! LARGE CENT (#5)...we are going bananas at this point...in summary SO FAR,,,at this point we have one large cent in one hole, and a foot to the left three large cents in the other hole (we figure these four were lost at same time)...and one other large about six feet to the left for a total of 5...we keep checking of course and about three feet back Earthworks gets another great copper signal, he's going "ANOTHER GREAT SIGNAL!" dig, dig, dig...another Large Cent!! #6...we are going totally mental at this point, just not believing what the hell is going on. I go about four feet behind where he is and I get ANOTHER copper signal and sure enough...yet ANOTHER Large Cent #7 (by the way, after we got to #5 -- after each one we kept asking each other, is that 6? Is that 7?, we couldn't keep count). It's getting dark but we keep searching and I go forward where I'm about five feet to the right of Large Cent #1 and I get another great signal and yes, it's SICK!!, another #8 Large Cent comes out (and four each, how fair is that). Like I said, we were looking at each other in total disbelief, as if we would have been less surprised to see aliens land. We did some more searching, but it was almost dark and we were pretty damn happy as an understatment of the century. In that small area we had found 8 large cents in about an hour and a half. The dates on mine are 1839, 1843, 1844, 1845 and Earthworks 1842, (2) 1848s, and one with no readable date. His two center is 1864. Wow, what a trip! Still in shock...

Attachments

• 8larges.jpg
    8larges.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 19,787
  • road.jpg
    road.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 18,642

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: LARGE CENT CACHE (It's Mindblowing!)

that is CRAZY!! :o :o how much do you want to bet the same person dropped all of those way back when! they must have been pissed! :D their loss, your gain! outstanding finds!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Excellent Job....You guys totally rock ! What a great site to be digging! Cant wait to see more!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Yo, dude, you kicked a$$ there! Wow, I wonder what the heck happened there about 160 years ago? Keep hitting that site, buddy.

Radio Shack strikes again.

Kirk

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Dude Lord Kirk -- I meant to mention...some of the Coppas Earthworks got, my detecta couldn't hear...I better get a new one! Think what I must be missing!?!>?!?!?!??!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Bergie said:
Dude Lord Kirk -- I meant to mention...some of the Coppas Earthworks got, my detecta couldn't hear...I better get a new one! Think what I must be missing!?!>?!?!?!??!

what is earthworks using?

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's some great finds there! It is mindblowing when you find a hole full of coins of anykind. They just seem to keep reproducing while you dig. Great stuff!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I used 8 of those icons. One for each largie. Holy cow dude. That is awesome. And here I was happy that I found one (1846) on my hunt Friday. Way to go dude. You should have made a video of that one. ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Evolution said:
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I used 8 of those icons. One for each largie. Holy cow dude. That is awesome. And here I was happy that I found one (1846) on my hunt Friday. Way to go dude. You should have made a video of that one. ;D

now that would be a video i would want to see! i vote banner for this one. ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go guys!!! What a fantastic find. Great coins. Congrats to both of you.
-MM-

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holey Crap! Fantastic! 8)

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Amazing finds ...and the condition of the coins looks pretty decent as well....WTG!!!!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Damn, Bergie, you need a new detector then! Hmmm...maybe a White's? You know how much we kick butt! They are great machines!

Kirk

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Damn, Bergie, you need a new detector then! Hmmm...maybe a White's? You know how much we kick butt! They are great machines!

Kirk
Heres another vote for Whites. I love my DFX! ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollowpointred said:
Evolution said:

now that would be a video i would want to see! i vote banner for this one. ;)
If a V nickel cache can make the banner, I'm sure a large cent cache can. I second this one. ;D

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

You guys frickin' rock and I mean frickin' rock! There has got to be a Seated or Bust half dime waiting to be excavated by you two pros.

zoyster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread