Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well got out Thursday and it was a perfect day for MD'ing. I found a Large copper half cent that is a chrispy critter and destroyed by the elements. The last coin I found like this was a 1700's copper (Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) but the Nova had some of the sunburst rays showing. No way of know what this coin was before the complete corrosion of surface. And got two wheat cents 1941, 1956, two nickles 1954, 1959 and two Lincolns 1970, 1999. So it was a good day of hunting for me or 2.5 hours.

I had a new GoPro chest mounted and got some really good video of the grass, and found out what a PITA that can be. The digging the hole with 36" shovel was filmed but the retrieve once kneeling on ground was out of view. So the camera would need adjusting to proper angle every time I guess. My other big surprise was the size of these files - 20 GB for 7 short clips in 1080. So I just ordered a 4Terabyte portable HD which arrived today from Amazon.

Unfortunately, halfway through the hunt, I fell while getting up and hit bum and lower back. I just laid there looking at the sky and the puffy clouds till I regained my composure, and was glad that I had a cell phone on me. Fortunately, the distance to the ground was not
from a full standing position, and I just let myself go and roll on to my full back. I was tiring and my lumbar (where cancer is in spine) was acting up from getting up and down to retrieve, and bending to get target finds. But I'm still happy that I can metal detect and find some coins. It takes me a day or two to recover just from a regular hunt (approx. 2 hr.) without any falls. I'm pretty good today.

Lastly, I was accosted by two goats that were running loose. I'll assume they wanted something to eat. I allowed them to sniff my hand, shovel, and detector. One of them tried to take my brown cloth table napkin I use for dirt from hole - I'll assume to eat. The other tried to pull a plastic stick-on label from my shovel. I told them to go away and eat the grass. These were pygmy goats and both had horns. One of the farm hands told me if they bother me to just shove them away with my foot. I didn't think that was a wise decision, and the last thing I need is to be rammed in the lower back, while kneeling on ground, by a goat head butt or goat horn anywhere on the body. They prevented me from retrieving my final target in a 9" hole. I just filled it in, stomped grass plug and left. It was time to go home any way.

At one point, in area between house and a pond, I noticed the ground was silent except for nickels and occasional penny. Someone had their discrimination up way too high looking for a lost ring by family member. If You can't hear a nickle - you won't hear gold!

Speaking of gold, when I dug a hole and saw that rock - it looked like gold. Now free of dirt, it looks like layers of gold and silver. So I saved but know it's not either but would fool the eye in the field - at least mine. :)

So it was an interesting day!

Attachments

• B2885.jpg
    B2885.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 150
  • B2887.jpg
    B2887.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 23

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well got out Thursday and it was a perfect day for MD'ing. I found a Large copper half cent that is a chrispy critter and destroyed by the elements. The last coin I found like this was a 1700's copper (Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) but the Nova had some of the sunburst rays showing. No way of know what this coin was before the complete corrosion of surface. And got two wheat cents 1941, 1956, two nickles 1954, 1959 and two Lincolns 1970, 1999. So it was a good day of hunting for me or 2.5 hours.

I had a new GoPro chest mounted and got some really good video of the grass, and found out what a PITA that can be. The digging the hole with 36" shovel was filmed but the retrieve once kneeling on ground was out of view. So the camera would need adjusting to proper angle every time I guess. My other big surprise was the size of these files - 20 GB for 7 short clips in 1080. So I just ordered a 4Terabyte portable HD which arrived today from Amazon.

Unfortunately, halfway through the hunt, I fell while getting up and hit bum and lower back. I just laid there looking at the sky and the puffy clouds till I regained my composure, and was glad that I had a cell phone on me. Fortunately, the distance to the ground was not
from a full standing position, and I just let myself go and roll on to my full back. I was tiring and my lumbar (where cancer is in spine) was acting up from getting up and down to retrieve, and bending to get target finds. But I'm still happy that I can metal detect and find some coins. It takes me a day or two to recover just from a regular hunt (approx. 2 hr.) without any falls. I'm pretty good today.

Lastly, I was accosted by two goats that were running loose. I'll assume they wanted something to eat. I allowed them to sniff my hand, shovel, and detector. One of them tried to take my brown cloth table napkin I use for dirt from hole - I'll assume to eat. The other tried to pull a plastic stick-on label from my shovel. I told them to go away and eat the grass. These were pygmy goats and both had horns. One of the farm hands told me if they bother me to just shove them away with my foot. I didn't think that was a wise decision, and the last thing I need is to be rammed in the lower back, while kneeling on ground, by a goat head butt or goat horn anywhere on the body. They prevented me from retrieving my final target in a 9" hole. I just filled it in, stomped grass plug and left. It was time to go home any way.

At one point, in area between house and a pond, I noticed the ground was silent except for nickels and occasional penny. Someone had their discrimination up way too high looking for a lost ring by family member. If You can't hear a nickle - you won't hear gold!

Speaking of gold, when I dug a hole and saw that rock - it looked like gold. Now free of dirt, it looks like layers of gold and silver. So I saved but know it's not either but would fool the eye in the field - at least mine. :)

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! I hope your recovery after your fall is speedy.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to see that you got out and did some digging.
Well done on the recoveries.
I wouldn't of worried about the little goats, pretty mellow animals.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I hope your recovery after your fall is speedy.
thanks! I'm doing pretty good today and will be out detecting again sometime this coming week.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to see that you got out and did some digging.
Well done on the recoveries.
I wouldn't of worried about the little goats, pretty mellow animals.
thanks pepperj! Well these look to be large sized pygmy goats -at least two feet high not counting neck and head. But they seem friendly enough. I did lookup on Net to see if dangerous etc.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations on the half cent!! I’ve been looking for years.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wishing you better health and many good hunts in the future!
thanks Jeff! I've recovered from fall and waiting for the rain to stop in Pa.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry you fell. Pretty cool to find a copper, I can only imagine. Congrats on the finds and good luck on your next hunt.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Ocean !!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry you fell. Pretty cool to find a copper, I can only imagine. Congrats on the finds and good luck on your next hunt.
thanks WannaDig! Here's to wishing you a large copper before the year's end! And one you can clearly see what it is with a date! HH!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean if i come your way are you going to take me digging ?

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7