Large Uniface Blade

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I walked out into a freshly picked bean field yesterday looking for signs of an old house site. Field about 1mi. west of the W. Okaw/Kaskaskia River junction. No detector, just scouting. Field needed chiseled and rained on as it was still trashy. Found a rim of a crock, a piece of glass and a piece of a dish so I figure the old house was in that area. Spotted something white and figured another dish piece but was surprised with this blade. Burlington flint. Closest source is 100 mi. west on the IL River. These are usually labeled "paleo" but how can you tell for sure? It's a large tool for this flint poor area, that's for sure. Note the rust marks. Old plow strikes that left a little steel on the flint that then rusted. Gary

DSC08161.JPG DSC08162.JPG DSC08163.JPG

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Gary, Congrats!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to run into incidental finds while looking for other things!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I might call that a "Square Knife" and is Paleo. IMHOP

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
There are people who firmly believe that Hopewell era people made large blades as well as microblades. But I'm not aware that such blades have ever been found in a controlled context.

Anybody ?

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, those are not very common in S/W Florida, conventional thinking on larger pieces is, larger animals, therefore larger tools.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There are people who firmly believe that Hopewell era people made large blades as well as microblades. But I'm not aware that such blades have ever been found in a controlled context.

Anybody ?

If I am not mistaken there were some found on the Kansas City Hopewell sites, but I don't believe any large prismatic cores were found. But I haven't seen anything from a controlled contex, or analysis by a knapper who might be able to diagnose the difference between "strategic" production via large cores vs getting a couple of large uniface blades off a chunk of chert. (I'd think there might be some differences in core top prep grinding, errailure scars, etc.)

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Nice find. Decent find in a fresh turned field.

That sort of walking can sometimes be as tough as a serious muddy field.

In some of the fields in my hunting area, i find the relics where the old house and barns had sat. So in specific fields I will search for the old house broken bricks, square nails and crockery.

There may be flakes and debitage in the surrounding hills, but most of the relics picked up long ago. But where the structures had sat, they tended to "protect" the relics from being picked up until they were demolished in the 40's, 50s or 60's and the farmers started plowing that ground as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread