Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero ; Discovery TF-900
And in other news, metal detector sales in the U.K. jump 300%...

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Here's what I found on it...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,554840,00.html?test=latestnews

An unemployed man has unearthed the largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold ever found with the help of his metal detector. Experts are now calculating its value—a process that could take more than a year because of its size.

Terry Herbert from Burntwood, Staffordshire, stumbled on the hoard in a private field with his trusty 14-year-old metal detector. Over five days in July, the 55-year-old dug up a fortune on the farmland near to his home. The find was declared as treasure by coroner Andrew Haigh, which means the cache will be offered for sale after it is valued.

More than 1,500 pieces of treasure—including around 11lbs of gold and 5.5lbs of silver—has now been uncovered. Archaeologists believe the hoard dates back to the seventh century and may have belonged to Saxon royalty. Among the riches are warfare paraphernalia, including sword pommel caps and hilt plates, often inlaid with precious stones.

staffordhoard.jpg

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
not sure this is the place for discussion of this find
this hoard was found in july-09, so they have had, some time to work on it.
its just fascinating, i just couldnt imagine going to battle with
a precious stone/s encrusted sword, and the decorations and details
on the swords, helmets, ect., just unbelievable history

slideshow of the find
http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?nsid=10257668@N04&set_id=72157622378376316

from
http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/artefacts/gallery/?set=72157622378376316

those links from this link
http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/

veronasteve

Mar 22, 2008
the machine is a whites spectrum.....it seems :o...edit...just learned its was a saxon sm-40?...old machine...but i think any one would have found this lot

and estimates of value are at 30-100 million pounds :tongue3:

it's a mind blowing find....has good as egyptian treasures or at least for the uk..

if m\detector sales have jumped i'm not surprised in the least.

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been on the TV news all day today here - It was found in the next county to me, only a few miles away!! I think this area may be swamped with detectorists in the next few days!!!

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
IM SOORY, BUT IF I FIND SOMTHING THAT BIG , IM NOT GOING TO SAY NOTHING TO KNOW ONE. THIS FELLA IS GOING TO GET A PAT ON THE BACK BY THE GOV . AND WHITES DET COMPANY IS GOING TO GIVE HIM HELL ALOT OF MONEY TO ADVERISE THERE DETECTORS.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
homer007 said:
IM SOORY, BUT IF I FIND SOMTHING THAT BIG , IM NOT GOING TO SAY NOTHING TO KNOW ONE. THIS FELLA IS GOING TO GET A PAT ON THE BACK BY THE GOV . AND WHITES DET COMPANY IS GOING TO GIVE HIM HELL ALOT OF MONEY TO ADVERISE THERE DETECTORS.

The hoard was officially declared treasure by a coroner on Thursday, which means it will be valued by experts and offered up for sale to a museum in Britain. Proceeds will be split 50-50 between Herbert and his farmer friend, who has not been identified. The find's exact location is being kept secret to deter looters.

Bland said he could not give a precise figure for the value of the collection, but said the two could each be in line for a "seven-figure sum."

And that's how it should be done. Don't screw the THer and they will report their finds. Everybody wins. The museums, the finders, the country, and history in general. Archies and rule makers take note.

Jay

P.S. Wow, It continues to amaze me how much stuff is buried in that relatively small island. :icon_sunny:

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
homer007 said:
In that case I really hope that you never find anything that big. Its not just the pat on the back (metaphor for a few million £££) that matters - sharing the historical and aesthetic value of the find with the rest of the community; even the world has much more value.
Don't be so selfish.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
He gets more than a pat on the back; He gets a payout equal to half the valuation of the find, shares it with the property owner and pays some tax, but in the end he becomes a very wealthy man.
Cheers,
Adrian SS

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this treasure hunter, Terry Herbert, is a TNet Member, he should be on the Banner permanently :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread