🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Last attempt at identifying odd copper coin....

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I posted this a year ago and thought I might revisit it in hopes that some fresh eyes might have a new perspective. I have seen T-Netters ID coins with less detail so I still hopeful that someone will know what it is.
From my original post last year...
"I am always amazed at what some TNet-ers are able to spot on an otherwise unidentifiable coin and I feel like there is enough left on this one that someone might help me get it sorted out. It came off a colonial site where i have found a William III, several KGIIs, and some other early relics. It is clearly a coin/token, but it may very well have been altered as it is not perfectly round and one side had a pronounced off-center strike, that looks like it was hammered to my eye. It is US half penny size... 22.27mm and 4.3g... but i have not found a single item from the 1800s on the site as of yet"
Thanks for looking, HD
details.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not much to go on really. I convinced myself that the first pic has a rounded bottom shield in the center with (maybe) a crown on top. It made me think "Spanish maravedi". Turn of the 18th C vintage. It fits in the size/weight range but I'm only guessing.

BTW - In the future, please don't take pictures of relics in your hand. Lay them flat on a medium dark, non-reflective surface and take the highest in-focus resolution you can get. That gives us the best chance to pull out any details by photo-shopping the image.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
H

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I could not even say positively that it is a coin.
Don......
To your point Don.... i have found an early Spade Guinea token, a counterfeit draped bust (?) and an altered William III on this property, so it really could be anything. That being said, it was a solid 25 on my Nox and really feels “coiny” .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread