Last Couple of Months of Ivory

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a pic of the finds of the last couple of months of ivory pieces I've found at garage, estate, rummage sales, ect. I have to admit the tusk was a Craigslist purchase a little over 7 months ago. I mentioned in a response to another post here that I always keep my eye open for ivory at yard sales and as you can see, it pays off. Once you know what to look for it seems to jump out at you and most of the time the people selling it haven't a clue. Good hunting!

DSCN0692.JPG DSCN0689.JPG

Included in the pics are: a carved elephant ivory bangle bracelet, a Japanese walrus ivory okimono of a fisherman, a elephant ivory processional elephant from India, a German carved elephant ivory rose with enamaled sterling brooch, a French elephant ivory snuff box, a small carved elephant pendant with 14k embellishments, and of course the fossil walrus tusk.

capt-zero

p.s. I can't believe I forgot to include my favorite bracelet (I'm always wearing it). In addition those above, I picked up a elephant ivory and coin silver bracelet from the Ottoman Empire ca. late 19th or early 20th century. Sorry.

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found ivory around here. When I was in Alaska, every other yard sale had a piece or two of ivory.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I could never imagine someone where I "hunt" putting ivory out at their yard sale. I would think almost everyone would know that ivory has value above that of yard sale material.

OP
OP
C

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in south Texas and most people here don't know how to identify ivory. I stopped telling them if the piece I just bought was ivory unless they specifically ask. Usually pick it up for a song. My bracelet below was $2.00, the snuff box above was 50 cents. The most expensive piece I've bought is the walrus tusk for $40. These are a couple of pics of the Ottoman bracelet I talked about in my earlier post. The woman volunteered, after I bought it, "That's not ivory, you know." I just smiled and went on my way. A couple of days later I found the Tugra mark and came unglued (the marks are very tiny and in unusual places). Authentic Ottoman Empire jewelry is VERY rare. A couple of years ago I found a 19th century Chinese brise carved ivory fan for five dollars. I spent about $25 on restoration (new silk ribbon, silver hinge, and the box I made) and it sold at auction for $1600. Here's the link: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7968181

DSCN0694.JPG DSCN0693.JPG

capt-zero

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions