mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Friday I went to my local park with some new headphones to hunt some familiar turf. I pulled out my first ring, stamped 925 and weighing 5.56 grams.
ringfound.jpg
ring.JPG
ring2.JPG

On Sunday I woke up early to check out 6 new spots I had identified that I wanted to check out. Unfortunately it was raining and drizzling and a bit windy. The first two spots I looked at were high on a hill and with the rain and wind I decided against hunting them, but not before getting soaked. I made my way down the hill to a nice narrow park that looked interesting. After putting on my rain boots on my already soaked feet, I started swinging the detector. 5 feet from my car I landed on a nice 1945 Wheat at about 5 inches. Not a bad start. The next dig was a crazy pocket spill consisting of three clumps of four coins each in one hole. As I wandered around there were nice targets everywhere. Nearly every time I dug a coin I put my probe back in the hole and there was a second or third coin to be found.

Meanwhile it was raining again and the wind was really picking up and I was cold and I was getting really muddy. I couldn't even read the dates on the coins I was pulling up because I couldn't wipe off the dirt.

Although I immediately fell in love with this park and had only been there about an hour and a half, I decided to detect my way back to my car straight up through the middle of the park. I was cold, wet, hungry and the weather was getting worse. I was hoping to find one silver coin there before heading home, and was listening for that sweet sound.

And then I heard it. Or at least I thought I did. It sounded like silver but when I tried to pinpoint it and kept walking around it, it was too big to be a coin. I thought maybe there was a small length of copper pipe or wire or something or maybe it was a big chunk of iron that just sounded sweet. I almost didn't dig it, but I figured what the heck, I'll dig this and then head home. I plunged my Lesche in the ground and began to carve my plug and immediately I hit something hard and metallic. Not good. I just pried up the dirt and and there was a beautiful shiny silver bracelet staring back at me! I pulled out my camera phone and snapped a picture of it in the ground.
bracelet ground.jpg

It was laying there face up, stretched out flat, maybe 2 inches deep. Something this big would have a tough time sinking in the dirt. It was all wrapped up in the grass roots and took a little finessing to get it out.
braceletrecovered.jpg

When I got home I cleaned it up and shined it up with some metal cleaner. It has a black stone set in it, probably onyx, and weighs in at a respectable 52.10 grams! It is 7.5 inches long.
Silver bracelet horizontal.JPG
frontview.JPG
rear view.JPG
Silver bracelet clasp.JPG

I can't wait to get back to this park on a sunny day and give it a full day's work. Not too much trash and a target-rich environment that seems like it hasn't had too much hunting pressure.

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread