✅ SOLVED Lead balls from my property

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey whats up? These are a few of the lead balls I've found on my property,about 1/4 mile from the Revolution era(1 day before the battle of Hubbardton) Castleton skirmish here in Castleton Vt.no idea if they are from that era or not.the sizes range from marble size to a little larger than a pea..also i have no idea what the piece pictured above them is.the flattened are on the right in the picture is perfect to fit a thumb and the little piece sticking up is a pin of some sort.Also i have pictured 2 of the many many spoon bowls also found on my property,any idea of age? i believe they are pewter,I also find pewter buttons as well here.(picture isnt great,but it appears to be a scalloped pattern on both bowls near where the handle was attached. thanks for any info you can provide on these items.

Attachments

• DSCF0041.JPG
    DSCF0041.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF0051.JPG
    DSCF0051.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    784.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0048.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 144

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The lead balls are the right sizes to be musketballs and pistol balls. But there is no way to date them, because smoothbore muzzleloader firearms were used continuously in America from the 1500s through the 1880s. Another fact about lead bullets which is just as important as the date-range... throughout all of that time, there were fewer men in the Army than the number of civilian game-hunters providing meat for the family dinnertable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lead balls are the right sizes to be musketballs and pistol balls. But there is no way to date them, because smoothbore muzzleloader firearms were used continuously in America from the 1500s through the 1880s. Another fact about lead bullets which is just as important as the date-range... throughout all of that time, there were fewer men in the Army than the number of civilian game-hunters providing meat for the family dinnertable.
thanks for the info..whats the deal with the pointed one though?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info..whats the deal with the pointed one though?
The mold may have been slightly open upon casting ? your guess is as good as mine ? it looks more like a teardrop sinker than a ball. is it solid on the pointy end or is there a hole? HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to say the pointy one is more likely to be a sinker than a bullet, but Broken Knee beat me to it. So now I'll say I agree that its shape is too irregular for a bullet ...and none of the "teardrop" bullets had a round bottom.

(Yes, I know the McKee-&-Mason bullet-book shows one, listed as bullet #162, but that is now believed to be an incorrect identification.)

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing above the bullets with the square hole looks like it might have started out life as a hub wrench or something like that. Nuts in those days were square, and they made combination wrenches for the hub nuts, and also the other sized nuts on buggy's and wagons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mold may have been slightly open upon casting ? your guess is as good as mine ? it looks more like a teardrop sinker than a ball. is it solid on the pointy end or is there a hole? HH
Broken Knee
no theres no holes at all and it was found no where near any water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....I thought you had asked and I answered the exact question before about the spoons......nope,nothing has changed from that time
Yes I did ask before,I do have the right to get other opinions,and no things do not change,but I have also found out that they were produced by parker and are from the period you stated.and if you are going to give me a wise ass answer then please don't reply to my posts. thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing above the bullets with the square hole looks like it might have started out life as a hub wrench or something like that. Nuts in those days were square, and they made combination wrenches for the hub nuts, and also the other sized nuts on buggy's and wagons.
Interesting..the end is cupped and rounded at the end like a spoon handle,and the part sticking up is a round pin with a notch in the end of it.interesting,it was found over a foot down in the packed clay soil.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say the pointy one is more likely to be a sinker than a bullet, but Broken Knee beat me to it. So now I'll say I agree that its shape is too irregular for a bullet ...and none of the "teardrop" bullets had a round bottom.

(Yes, I know the McKee-&-Mason bullet-book shows one, listed as bullet #162, but that is now believed to be an incorrect identification.)
i took it to the town historian and was told it appears to be a homemade bullet of some sort.it is solid,no holes,no notches for fishing line

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Taz, here is the reason I discounted the teardrop-shaped lead from being a bullet:
As your photo of M&M bullet #160 shows, a bullet's opposite sides are always symmetrical (meaning, the opposite sides have the exact same shape). But Castletonking's photo shows his lead teardrop's right side bulges outward much more than its left side does.

So that everybody can easily see what I mean by "symmetrical sides," here's a repost of your photo of M&M bullet #160. The curvature of its right and left sides is identical -- and Castletonking's isn't.

Sidenote:
When I said teardrop bullets don't have a round bottom, I meant that the presence of the casting-sprue on the bottom (even when it has been sliced off) keeps the bottom from being truly "round." There's always a flat spot where the sprue was sliced off.

Attachments

• bullet_TearDropPicket_diameter.395_mm160_TN_postedbyTaz420.jpg
    bullet_TearDropPicket_diameter.395_mm160_TN_postedbyTaz420.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread