✅ SOLVED Lead Seal

wandrews

May 30, 2011
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro 5900
Good evening everyone,

I located the lead seal pictured in the attachments. It is about the size of a dime. I feel it is a bag seal or bale seal but not a cloth seal. It is old enough that the lettering is difficult to read or non-existent in some cases. I found site that showed many images of seals, but I never found one similar to this one (Bagseals.org). If anyone could suggest a country of origin and/or an approximate age I would appreciated it very much.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Lead Seal Front 2.JPG
    Lead Seal Front 2.JPG
    622.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Lead Seal Back.JPG
    Lead Seal Back.JPG
    639.5 KB · Views: 364

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell from the photo, but the letters I think I'm seeing are: L _ _ APALDS BAIL. Is that correct?

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I think the seal reads "LEOPOLDSHALL" and is likely from a bag of potash (used in fertilizer) and part of the German "Kali Syndikat" lead seals. Probably circa late 1800s - early 1900s.

Here is a link about it in German and using google translate:

Leopoldshall ? Wikipedia

Google Translate

There have been other seals with Leopoldshall stamped on them post on the site. I didn't find one exactly like yours though. Here are a couple:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...h-cent-lead-seal-round-balls-more-copper.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/122621-deja-vu-all-over-again.html

Attachments

• leopoldshall.jpg
    leopoldshall.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wandrews

May 30, 2011
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro 5900
Wow! Thank you Bramblefind and Breezie. I had been unable to guess the correct spelling because some of the letters were missing or were disfigured and my knowledge of lead seals is limited. The expertise offered by the various members of this site is amazing. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found quite a few similar lead seals here in Germany.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread