Lead sheathing, spikes and a strange fossil/ petrified object that responds like iron

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
LEAD HULL SHEATHING MEANS OLD SHIP * VERY OLD

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case anyone is interested, I was able, after much work and research, to date the vessel as a bark lost in the 1840's. I am nearly certain about this. I was very surprised at the late date due to the lead sheathing. Another contributor on the forum suggested that lead was used as a sheathing material much longer than is generally assumed. At this point, I have to believe he is right. The bark was probably built around 1820 or so....

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK..have fun guys.
Iron is orange..there is so much it reads on the detector... but it must be from non metallic yellow and white sulfur.
Have you ever smelled "eggs" when an irrigation system was running? That's from sulfer in a totally different layer than the iron..it's drilled to that depth specifically to avoid the orange staining from iron.
Yes it smells like eggs, and if one does not have the proper system for their daily shower, it feels like the soap is still on your skin after a long rinse off.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Just in case anyone is interested, I was able, after much work and research, to date the vessel as a bark lost in the 1840's. I am nearly certain about this. I was very surprised at the late date due to the lead sheathing. Another contributor on the forum suggested that lead was used as a sheathing material much longer than is generally assumed. At this point, I have to believe he is right. The bark was probably built around 1820 or so....

Treasure ship HMS Thetis, sank in 1829, was sheeted with lead.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010

My first treasure galleon I found in 1969 or 70. Well, actually it was a frigate. This is also the first time I noticed strange marks on the lead sheeting. The sheets were very large, just like the copper sheeting one often finds. About the same thickness. The marks on the lead were something like scratches made with a comb.
It took me 15 years to understand what these marks were.
In the Bahamas with the crystal clear water I saw a school of fish, I think it was wrasses, grazing on large lead pipes on a shipwreck. The fish were eating the algae and left these scratches on the lead. It may be coincidence, but I caught a grouper on that shipwreck and got very sick after eating it. We all did, who eat from that fish.
While I am writing this I just realize that the place where the HMS Thetis wrecked (Saco dos Ingleses) was known as a "cursed place". Maybe I should write that story down....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That piece you found is rust. An Aquapulse will not pick up rust. As a Garrett Seahunter won’t either. That is an alloy, or a form of metal, that slow PI detectors cannot pick up. If you used a newer type PI , faster pulse rate, you would be able to pick that up. That is why those 2 are not good on low karat gold rings. Or alloy gold jewelry. Or silver cobs with some copper in them at any distance. I am sure it is just rust.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds from the old ship keep hunting it thanks for the pictures

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
That piece you found is rust. An Aquapulse will not pick up rust. As a Garrett Seahunter won’t either. That is an alloy, or a form of metal, that slow PI detectors cannot pick up. If you used a newer type PI , faster pulse rate, you would be able to pick that up. That is why those 2 are not good on low karat gold rings. Or alloy gold jewelry. Or silver cobs with some copper in them at any distance. I am sure it is just rust.

I believe the Aquapulse and Seahunter are still a very popular detectors with divers.
What are the more modern detectors that could be recommended for divers?
What is the preferred metal detector on the 1715 fleet?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aqua pulse are probably one of the most used UW sectors on the wrecks here. It is a non motion detector, which most PI are a motion detector. Many like that. They are very water proof. But the technology is many years old. They are not hot on modern gold jewelry or alloys. A good way to test a detectors sensitivity is to use a small stainless steel washer. 316. And tie a thin cord to it and bury it at different depths. Some of the more sensitive UW detectors are Whites Dual field PI, and Minelabs Excalibur. Whites PI Pro was a good one too.

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Aqua pulse are probably one of the most used UW sectors on the wrecks here. It is a non motion detector, which most PI are a motion detector. Many like that. They are very water proof. But the technology is many years old. They are not hot on modern gold jewelry or alloys. A good way to test a detectors sensitivity is to use a small stainless steel washer. 316. And tie a thin cord to it and bury it at different depths. Some of the more sensitive UW detectors are Whites Dual field PI, and Minelabs Excalibur. Whites PI Pro was a good one too.

Thank you for the info.
Is there someone who repairs the Garett Seahunters? Or can one find some old ones for spare parts?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have no idea. Maybe contact Garrett. I know they are still in production. I see older Garrett UW detectors on EBay occasionally. Sometimes for parts. Good luck.

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
HMS Thetis 1830

The story of the original salvage effort of the treasure ship Thetis should be read by every treasure salvor. Attached.

Attachments

• A narrative of the operations for the re - Dickinson_ Thomas_ d. 1854.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread