If you give me the Numbers for your area

I'll Post what I have

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Uh, I'd like to hear EVERYTHING, but will settle for 3, 4, 32, 34, and 53 for starters. I'm guessing it makes more sense to start a thread for each.

Does this mean you have a cross-reference index as well, Jeff?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
7.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Can you also let us know where this information came from? Because some of it is erroneous at best.

Mount Hood is in Oregon, not Washington. Although the location of Horsethief Meadows appears to be in Washington, the story from Ruby el Hult's book is definately from Oregon.

From the same source, Captain Johnson's cache was not composed of "slugs" that he melted into approximate $50 pieces. They were, in fact, the famous early $50 gold pieces minted in California, and found in a chest on one of the ships Johnson salvaged.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a 1984 News paper called
Metal Detector News.
Vol 1 #1
Stamped SAMPLE & No Idea if
any more issues were ever printed.

LastScanr.jpg

LastScankk.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7.jpg
7-B.jpg

10.jpg
10-B.jpg

16.jpg

25-26.jpg

34-35-36-37.jpg
37-b.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks, Jeff! I'm always interested in any authentic research material, even that which cannot be easily proven.

While employed at The Oregonian Publishing Company, was able to use the Oregon Historical Society's Research Library for several months. Found most of Ruby el Hult's original sources, and was able to track down several related ones.

One of the most important IMO was a reference to an early issue of Sunset Shores Magazine, which later evolved into Sunset Magazine. This issue was back in the 1880's, and detailed a document on parchment or velum found inside a hollow rock cairn on Neahkahnie Mountain, and may well be the original description of the Neahkahnie Treasure. Unfortunately one of the original curators of the library felt it was too rare to leave out for anyone to see, and apparently added it to one of his many scrapbooks. He knew where it was stored, but almost impossible for anyone else to find it. When the curator died, a separate card index had to be created for the over 300 scrapbooks he made. Those scrapbooks are truly a treasure trove for treasure researchers.

The original document was in Spanish, and not many people in Oregon spoke any Spanish until much later. Tends to *prove* there was something going on in the area from early Spaniards. Chief Concommolly, once told his son-in-law, Dr. John McLoughlin, that Concomolly was the grandson of a shipwrecked Spaniard enslaved by the Tillamook tribe. He later escaped, and travelled north, where he eventually joined the prestigious Tchinook tribe, married, and produced a son. Most people will recognize the Neahkahnie Treasure story as the basis for the movie "Goonies", although it was never had a pirate in it. I don't think it was coincidence that much of "Goonies" was filmed on the northern Oregon coast.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDragonWolf said:
59 looks like Bremerton... I live in Bremerton... :icon_scratch: I should be making a connection here...

:sign13: I wanna find something that doesn't suck in Bremerton!!!

LastScanc.jpg

TheBlueMax

Jul 31, 2011
Stanwood, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
jeff of pa said:
Too many to post all

I'll Post what I have

Hi Jeff ~ Is it too late to look at 17-22? We are headed over to that part in two weeks for two weeks. Thank you kindly!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheBlueMax said:
jeff of pa said:
Too many to post all

I'll Post what I have

Hi Jeff ~ Is it too late to look at 17-22? We are headed over to that part in two weeks for two weeks. Thank you kindly!

:icon_thumright: LastScan.jpg

TheBlueMax

Jul 31, 2011
Stanwood, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Jeff~ Thank you kindly and I will share my findings when we get back the first week of September. Do you believe it is unreasonable to think a Garrett Ace 350 could sniff out some surface gold or nuggets all things considered?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions