leather clothing

flying potato

Jul 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's made of thin leather and has no markings.
it's about the size of a cooking apron and it's definitely handmade.
and that really all I got.

116223201_613380802941500_4275837592408939218_nxas.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto FP! :hello:

Based on the shells that are attached to it, which from what I understand, were often used as 'money' by the Indigenous people.
I'm thinking this piece may have worn by a Native American bride when she got married, similar to a dowry. :icon_scratch:

You might want to consider posting your question here as well... North American Indian Artifacts

Dave

Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's made of thin leather and has no markings...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard flying potato! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 1

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have the original image thats not doctored?
what is the back story, where found, any history
close up pics ?
show us the back to see how it was worn
looks like a single hide neck, body legs
nothing attached to makw it wareable
maybe a not function trade, ornamental item
brady

Upvote 1

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 1

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes African...about ten years ago these started appearing in antique stores and the like. If you have any connection to boutique type stores you will know that there are different, for lack of a better term, "boutique expos", where different wholesale import vendors hold gatherings to sell the latest shipping containers of "antiques" from around the world to little one off stores. Items like yours get passed around quickly due to their novelty and then...on to the next "find". I have seen many, many different fads come and go throughout the decades. A lot of them are African, Indian and South East Asian.

Upvote 1

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet !

Yea Honestly I Can't Help.

But it looks like Something I'd love to see my Girlfriend Cooking Breakfast For me In :icon_thumright:
Especially if it Had Tiny Leather Shorts with it.
& Yes I'm serious, Not being Funny

Upvote 1

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet !

Yea Honestly I Can't Help.

But it looks like Something I'd love to see my Girlfriend Cooking Breakfast For me In :icon_thumright:
Especially if it Had Tiny Leather Shorts with it.
& Yes I'm serious, Not being Funny

I like the way you think Jeff, you read my mind exactly... the only difference is you said it out loud! :laughing7:

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leather jackets can be designed for many purposes, and specific styles have been associated with subcultures such as greasers, motorcyclists and bikers, mobsters, military aviators (especially during and directly after World War II) and music subcultures (punks, goths, metalheads, rivetheads), who have worn the garment ...

Welcome to Tnet, but I don't know why you resurrected an old thread by posting this, which adds little to the identification... unless this is just a spam post.

Plug N Play had it right in post #16

It's a traditional Mahzel (baby carrier), most usually from Ethiopia (especially the Omo Valley People) or Eritrea. This one's from Ethiopia:

Mahzel.jpg

Difficult to say from the picture whether it's an authentic item made for use or a piece of handicraft for sale to tourists. My guess would be the latter.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread