Leesburg, Lake County Florida

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
I've been out of metal detecting for the last 30+ years but now retired. Has anyone made any old finds around Leesburg, or any part of Lake County? I've been doing alot of research but still waiting on my new AT Pro from Garrett to ship. I am a native to the Lake and Sumter County area having spent most of my 66 years here.

I've heard rumors of an occassional gold coin or two being found in the area but so far nothing documented. Would like to hear from anyone with local knowledge or someone looking for a hunting partner in this area.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just north of you in alachua county bob, lots of various places, i will search for a link to maps that may help look for old locations...few ghost towns and old properties all over florida!!

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bob Im just north of you above The Villages ;D
I have a few older sites and maybe we can hook up and Id be glad to take you too one :thumbsup:

One thing for sure,I have not found any gold coins around here yet ;D

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Brian, I'll get back to you once my detector arrives and I become familiar with it.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it Bob :icon_thumright: I know they have not shipped YET
I was thinking about one myself but I have a few units now ;D
Let me know when your ready and we can try too hook up ok

Brian

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bob, There is a cache of gold coins in Groveland. I wrote a book called Where to detect in central Florida sold at Kellyco. As far as I know its not been found. There is also a Army payroll in gold in Sorrento area. The Ball Brothers cache in Wekiva State Park. Leesburg city park holds $25,000 in stolen jewelry. Gold coins & 1 oz ingots & Rolexs in Turkey Lake. Interested?

christblessed

Jan 13, 2013
FLauthor said:
Bob, There is a cache of gold coins in Groveland. I wrote a book called Where to detect in central Florida sold at Kellyco. As far as I know its not been found. There is also a Army payroll in gold in Sorrento area. The Ball Brothers cache in Wekiva State Park. Leesburg city park holds $25,000 in stolen jewelry. Gold coins & 1 oz ingots & Rolexs in Turkey Lake. Interested?

Yes tell me if you want to hunt

Abide787

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes tell me if you want to hunt

Dear Christblessed,

Firstly I love the screen name. I live in Kissimmee, am a Florida cracker and would love to hunt! What is the title of your book... I love reading about history in this wild state!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom

Cbrooks19

Jul 10, 2013
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! New to Lake County (Leesburg) and having a pretty tough time figuring out local MD'ing laws. Don't want to get a fine or have my ATP confiscated. Also, not asking anybody to divulge their honey holes but I just can't seem to find anywhere that's ok to detect! Please help! I'm available to go out anytime if somebody wants a MD'ing buddy.

jammin32j

Jun 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! New to Lake County (Leesburg) and having a pretty tough time figuring out local MD'ing laws. Don't want to get a fine or have my ATP confiscated. Also, not asking anybody to divulge their honey holes but I just can't seem to find anywhere that's ok to detect! Please help! I'm available to go out anytime if somebody wants a MD'ing buddy.

I know it's been awhile since this was posted, but I live in Lake County Florida. If you are still MDing I need someone to go with.

Indiana-FH

Oct 7, 2008
Newburgh, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max - BH 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in Bushnell area for the next 3 Mos. Looking for some areas or hunt Suggestions would be gratefully Appreciated

Flamingomtn

Jun 4, 2021
West Melbourne, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Minelab Vanquish 440 (in case of visitors who want to join me)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandparents lived in Leesburg until about 1969. Their house was on South Canal street. They had a little general store, also on Canal, just south of some railroad tracks that used to go through town. My grandpa had a habit of putting coins in coffee cans and burying them in the yard at the house. He also had a slot in the back stairs of the store where he would drop silver dollars that people used to pay for their groceries. I've always wondered if anyone ever dug all of that up. Now that I live in Florida (and metal detect), I really should drive up and research that a bit more. I don't remember their exact address anymore. I was 12 the last time I visited and I'm 65 now...been a minute.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
77705A5B-3F04-4821-A09C-37410864DC3C.jpeg 64899803-F22A-4150-8323-AF9C55562858.jpeg Here is where you Grandpa’s Store location was. Right around the “R” in Histo”R”ic. Couldn’t find anything farther back that 1965. 698DE711-7D8E-486C-9B5F-81BEFBDCA27B.jpeg I’m in Longwood I’ll go check it out with you. Give me a shout.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread