Legal or Illegal?

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I live in a town that is a historical district and the town is actually listed on the historical website. I'm wondering would that make the entire town illegal to detect since it's listed as a historical district? There is a cop in our town that I was told metal detects and he says it's legal to detect the grassy areas between the road and sidewalks because that is owned by the city. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Upvote 0

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be neat and respectful and you wont have issues wherever you go.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Jwilson534 - Just about all towns now have websites. I would find the site and download the ordinances and do a search on MD. Not knowing the town you are talking about - here is a good starting place: Ohio Laws, Bans and Permits

OP
OP
J

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Jwilson534 - Just about all towns now have websites. I would find the site and download the ordinances and do a search on MD. Not knowing the town you are talking about - here is a good starting place: Ohio Laws, Bans and Permits

Yes I've looked at our towns website and they have nothing listed. And thanks for the link but I've looked at it already and my county is not on there.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we please make this answer as a GIANT sticky post?! This is almost a weekly question.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Puts on her best Tom in CA Voice"

AHEM... Taps mic...

So Jilson534 as soon as you go around asking people at the city if it's ok to metal detect, when people have been detecting there for 20 years without any issue... Pretty soon the people at the city start to wonder if it is OK to detect. And pretty soon they start thinking it's not ok to detect because with enough people asking...

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would detect where the Cop friend told you. He IS a cop. If someone else confronts you, tell them that that's where law enforcement says was OK.
Too many questions could ruin it for everyone.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ask your city attorney.
Don......

Ok Don, and tell us what that "city attorney" will base his answer on? He will base it on actual "law" right ? In other words, if he said "no you can't", he would be able to POINT to something that actually says that , right ? As opposed to his mere "whim", right ?

Then in that case, why can't the O.P. simply look up the laws for himself ? They're no secret after all, eh ? Because the problem with asking a desk-bound city person, is that all-too-often they just take the "safe/easy answer" out, and just say "no". Because of some ancillary verbiage (alter / disturb / take/ remove / cultural heritage, etc...) that they *think* applies to your "pressing question". When in fact, the topic probably never crossed their mind before. And that others (like a cop no less) have no problems md'ing.

I've seen this happen, where someone fetches a "no", at parks where ....quite frankly ... it was never a problem.

As for the OP's question: I too lived in a city for awhile (Pacific Grove, CA) where it has a "historic district" (all the old-town district buildings and houses have plaques on them, etc....). And I detected there all the time, no problem. A homeowner / private property owner can do whatever the heck he wants with his own property. If he elects to allow someone to m.d. in his yard, that's his business.

So unless the O.P. sees something in Muni. code that actually specifically says "no md'ing", fine then, it's not prohibited. Don't over-think things. Don't swat hornet's nests :)

OP
OP
J

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Don, and tell us what that "city attorney" will base his answer on? He will base it on actual "law" right ? In other words, if he said "no you can't", he would be able to POINT to something that actually says that , right ? As opposed to his mere "whim", right ?

Then in that case, why can't the O.P. simply look up the laws for himself ? They're no secret after all, eh ? Because the problem with asking a desk-bound city person, is that all-too-often they just take the "safe/easy answer" out, and just say "no". Because of some ancillary verbiage (alter / disturb / take/ remove / cultural heritage, etc...) that they *think* applies to your "pressing question". When in fact, the topic probably never crossed their mind before. And that others (like a cop no less) have no problems md'ing.

I've seen this happen, where someone fetches a "no", at parks where ....quite frankly ... it was never a problem.

As for the OP's question: I too lived in a city for awhile (Pacific Grove, CA) where it has a "historic district" (all the old-town district buildings and houses have plaques on them, etc....). And I detected there all the time, no problem. A homeowner / private property owner can do whatever the heck he wants with his own property. If he elects to allow someone to m.d. in his yard, that's his business.

So unless the O.P. sees something in Muni. code that actually specifically says "no md'ing", fine then, it's not prohibited. Don't over-think things. Don't swat hornet's nests :)

Yep I'm just going to go for it and if they ask me to leave I will.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public property......never ask......just look it up yourself to see if there are no prohibitions. Private property.....always ask.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
everyoneshouldthinklikethatcopnofear

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is my opinion that the agency that declared the area as an historical place is the key. The city? State? Feds? Is it incorporated city property, state land, national forest? Lots of questions with differing laws. Most of the posts here (including mine) are only opinions. Do your research before digging! TTC

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far every motorcycle cop and city cop has drove right past me when I've been detecting the curb strips and other green belts near the roads. Pretty sure they really don't care and only get involved when someone calls in a complaint. I'm sure cops don't have quota's for handing out citations for metal detectors.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most areas have Info for metal detecting rules online.
I recently checked rules for St. Louis County parks.
Metal detecting is permitted, but you cant dig!
Specifically states you can use a probe no larger than 1/4" as long as your probing doesn't damage plants.
In other words they say no you cant metal detect the park while saying yes you can.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I recently checked rules for St. Louis County parks. Metal detecting is permitted, but you cant dig!....

Haha, well gee, I wonder what put this "front and center" for someone, way-back-when, to introduce this wording to their city codes ? You can *maybe* get around this by playing semantics and probing and prying out your targets (but it risks scratching coins).

With a screwdriver and a lot of determination, I can make some PRETTY DEEP slits, to fish out my targets :) And semantics debate is, that technically this doesn't constitute "digging", if you're not bringing dirt to the surface. If you're doing this at night, when no one's around to gripe, then you'd never be subject to the debate of semantics in the first place. After all, the mere act of detecting itself is not dis-allowed. Presto. Problem solved.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would think with land owner ok that one could hunt any private land ...now public areas might be different due to its "historical nature" status ...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not ask. Just help yourself, and be neat and polite.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions