Legend and Deus drama on YouTube - productive or poor use of everyone's time?

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every metal detector has strengths/weaknesses and scenarios in which it will thrive/struggle. We are in a 'jack of all trades, expert of none" era of detecting in which companies are trying to make their unit the "only one you will even need," and in the process there more than ever seems a need to convince us which one that should be.. However, as an actual user at some point I hope that helpful and informative videos on how to enhance/maximize the use of these detectors in real-world settings begin to surface. Generally speaking, the trend toward "proving the best" detector is getting so played out and monotonous that is is just not helpful. I believe if it were this obvious at this point there would no longer be a need for such videos. To me at least the only proof that no detector is really better than the other has been the continuous necessity of trying to demonstrate otherwise. Would recommend people who spend countless hours "testing" detectors against each other spend more time actually doing live runs with various settings and helping the people who own them.

Upvote 16

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
Every metal detector has strengths/weaknesses and scenarios in which it will thrive/struggle. We are in a 'jack of all trades, expert of none" era of detecting in which companies are trying to make their unit the "only one you will even need," and in the process there more than ever seems a need to convince us which one that should be.. However, as an actual user at some point I hope that helpful and informative videos on how to enhance/maximize the use of these detectors in real-world settings begin to surface. Generally speaking, the trend toward "proving the best" detector is getting so played out and monotonous that is is just not helpful. I believe if it were this obvious at this point there would no longer be a need for such videos. To me at least the only proof that no detector is really better than the other has been the continuous necessity of trying to demonstrate otherwise. Would recommend people who spend countless hours "testing" detectors against each other spend more time actually doing live runs with various settings and helping the people who own them.

I purchased a Legend and a Deus 2 within a week. Newbie user. And... I can see what appears to be a big difference just between those two units, and I'm sure I don't even know what I'm doing yet.

I wish my Deus2 had a little light built into it, like the Legend does! Thinking about taping a flash light on it :)

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every company would like to convince us their detector is "the only one you will ever need" , until the next model comes out.......
Companies also recognised youtube is "one hell of adertising platform" so unbiased videos are rare and hidden in a mass you are not even able to tell.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a waste of time because most of us aren’t going to be a $1600 detector. Unless, of course, it had some new capability that no other detector had, like the ability to block out aluminum.

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
It’s a waste of time because most of us aren’t going to be a $1600 detector. Unless, of course, it had some new capability that no other detector had, like the ability to block out aluminum.
A lot of people have $1,600 to blow nowadays. Well, maybe they don't, but price isn't a big thing to many.

I bought the legend. I feel it misses stuff, you wave the coil over a spot with a known coin, and sometimes it alerts, sometimes it doesn't.

The Deus2, first off everything feels good. The headphones are so light and comfortable you don't even know they are on there.

The headphones have their own remote.

I like the fact I can take off the remote ( main one) and put it in my hand. Helps with my bad vision.

Seems like there is a lot of things I like in the Deus, design wise. If I did find a detector that was a little bit better, im afraid some of the above qualities would keep me with the Deus 2.

An Iphone and a camera both can take pic's. But... that iPhone sure is popular, because it's small, compact, and comfortable to use.

That being said, I'm sure most of you on here, could take a $100 Metal detector, and find 3X as much as I could being a newbie. ! There is something to be said about experience!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's an old adage in boating: "2 footitis"
Meaning a newb boater buys a 14'er. then a 16'er, so on and so on till they are up in the higher 20's
They might do an incremental jump in footage once they get a longer boat.
In the end they've spent what a big would of cost in the first place.

Now lets apply this to detectors-looking at the stables of machines under many of the members on the forums.
They claim that there's no way that they would spend that $1600.00 on a machine-yet there it is, the totals, of all the machines adds up is actually higher.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it to be very productive personally. Also most of us go back and forth on these topics but were friends at the end of the day. .. at least I hope so.

The key here is that we have two manufactures. One of which has made some pretty bold claims and essentially asked to be held to the highest standard. So naturally they have created this - Hats off to them if all the feedback makes them a better company and helps them make better machines. Honestly this is exactly what we wanted to see from companies like Tesoro, Whites, Fishers, and even Garrett to a certain extent for the last 5-7 years that I can remember and they just weren't interested or ready to release new competitive machines to the NoX & Deus. If you look at Makro/Nokta Progression over the last 5 years there is no denying they are making progress from the fors core, racer1&2, simplex, and now the legend they are consistently trying to improve.

I believe PSSF and Calabash are both being objective in their assessments of the machines and both know what they are talking about. We just have to totally different types of metal detectorist as PSSF is more of a jewelry/Clad park hunter where finds are littered in modern trash and Calabash is a relic / silver hunter who hunts on beach, colonial, and diving where finds are littered in old iron. Of course this is a simplified way of looking at both guys style of hunting but you get the idea.

So it makes sense that some of us relate more to one over the other and the same it true for certain machines as well. PSSF IMO has a almost dig it all mentality and there is no denying that will produce results but it's not always a good indicative of the capabilities of a machine. - Its a tried and true method for cleaning finds out of a site though. Also in defense of PSSF I have seen him make a number of videos praising the DII on the previous version 1.5 I believe and he also knows that he has an early model so hopefully Dues reaches out to him and gets this fixed because I believe he would change his tune if they would just help him update his machine where the equalizer works.

Calabash on the other hand is looking for a machine that has advanced to the point it can see through the bottle caps, iron nails, & modern trash. His testing methods resonate with me because they are close to the same kind of thing I do with all of my machines. Over the years I've learnt a lot about what my machines can and cannot do in these test beds and scenarios. It rarely gets better in the field.

I know personally over the last 5 years I have spent thousands of dollars on machines and every year I usually put about 100 hours on a couple different machines learning them. Sometimes I can tell after a few hunts what I don't like about a machine other times it takes months for issues to arise. These guys are doing some of the initial dirty work for me.

I believe the best thing that is coming out of all of this is that we are seeing a 2nd hand market for machines like we haven't seen since 2018/19 when the NOX hit the market. I've bought 2 machines in the last month that I never thought would be sold at these low price points. For us land lovers there are deals to be had... I'll sit back a bit and let everyone figure out this years hottest machine.

If your a metal detecting company in this climate you don't have the luxury of taking your foot of the gas or you'll get left behind real quick. As has been proven over the last 3 years.

OP
OP
Clad Crusader

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it to be very productive personally. Also most of us go back and forth on these topics but were friends at the end of the day. .. at least I hope so.

The key here is that we have two manufactures. One of which has made some pretty bold claims and essentially asked to be held to the highest standard. So naturally they have created this - Hats off to them if all the feedback makes them a better company and helps them make better machines. Honestly this is exactly what we wanted to see from companies like Tesoro, Whites, Fishers, and even Garrett to a certain extent for the last 5-7 years that I can remember and they just weren't interested or ready to release new competitive machines to the NoX & Deus. If you look at Makro/Nokta Progression over the last 5 years there is no denying they are making progress from the fors core, racer1&2, simplex, and now the legend they are consistently trying to improve.

I believe PSSF and Calabash are both being objective in their assessments of the machines and both know what they are talking about. We just have to totally different types of metal detectorist as PSSF is more of a jewelry/Clad park hunter where finds are littered in modern trash and Calabash is a relic / silver hunter who hunts on beach, colonial, and diving where finds are littered in old iron. Of course this is a simplified way of looking at both guys style of hunting but you get the idea.

So it makes sense that some of us relate more to one over the other and the same it true for certain machines as well. PSSF IMO has a almost dig it all mentality and there is no denying that will produce results but it's not always a good indicative of the capabilities of a machine. - Its a tried and true method for cleaning finds out of a site though. Also in defense of PSSF I have seen him make a number of videos praising the DII on the previous version 1.5 I believe and he also knows that he has an early model so hopefully Dues reaches out to him and gets this fixed because I believe he would change his tune if they would just help him update his machine where the equalizer works.

Calabash on the other hand is looking for a machine that has advanced to the point it can see through the bottle caps, iron nails, & modern trash. His testing methods resonate with me because they are close to the same kind of thing I do with all of my machines. Over the years I've learnt a lot about what my machines can and cannot do in these test beds and scenarios. It rarely gets better in the field.

I know personally over the last 5 years I have spent thousands of dollars on machines and every year I usually put about 100 hours on a couple different machines learning them. Sometimes I can tell after a few hunts what I don't like about a machine other times it takes months for issues to arise. These guys are doing some of the initial dirty work for me.

I believe the best thing that is coming out of all of this is that we are seeing a 2nd hand market for machines like we haven't seen since 2018/19 when the NOX hit the market. I've bought 2 machines in the last month that I never thought would be sold at these low price points. For us land lovers there are deals to be had... I'll sit back a bit and let everyone figure out this years hottest machine.

If your a metal detecting company in this climate you don't have the luxury of taking your foot of the gas or you'll get left behind real quick. As has been proven over the last 3 years.
Indeed; I agree with all of that. I just get fatigued YouTubing the Legend and seeing more bickering/drama videos than actual constructive feedback and tips. I just want to hunt and be informed about how to maximize its capability. Maybe just up to me to learn as I go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't it strange the argument is not between the Legend and the Equinox?
I think it is VERY strange.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't it strange the argument is not between the Legend and the Equinox?
I think it is VERY strange.
agree with you Terry, its almost like we are not being given the whole story of either detector, I know what I have seen out of the legend and I will say it pretty much matches up with what you have shown on your videos and what paystreak has shown on his videos and only one video calabash posted did I see what he was saying was wrong which what I seen in my Legend was the same as Calabash showed plus a few other things, and since Nokta/Macro put out the new update I am not seeing those issues any longer.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Legend, not because I can't afford a Deus 2,,but because I've owned several original Deus machines and being a coinhunter in parks and yards XP Deus just don't cut it.
I'm selective in digging, and the original Deus was just falsing on everything aluminum in the parks, and anyone who hunts parks knows they're full of aluminum.
If guys want to debate what's best for them it's a one sided debate. But not everything is for everyone, and if your a park/yard hunter get a nox or a Legend.. if your a field relic hunter get a Deus.. Just my opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is like the debate between Ford and Chevy...

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
I'm not sure how anyone can comment on these two units unless they have purchased both. There are a lot of aspects to these units the testers don't mention. Some of it may be hard to quantify.

For me, I have had no interest in the Legend since I got the Deus2. A lot of it just has to do with the feel, and ease of using it.

I think the headphones that come with the Deus2 are absolutely great. Another owner I know, absolutely hates them! Who's right? Who's wrong?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sleepy2:

Some of us have stopped tuning in and went and bought a Rutus Atrex.

Got tired of XP and Nokta cranking out software patches to chase down their problems while creating even more.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Legend, not because I can't afford a Deus 2,,but because I've owned several original Deus machines and being a coinhunter in parks and yards XP Deus just don't cut it.
I'm selective in digging, and the original Deus was just falsing on everything aluminum in the parks, and anyone who hunts parks knows they're full of aluminum.
If guys want to debate what's best for them it's a one sided debate. But not everything is for everyone, and if your a park/yard hunter get a nox or a Legend.. if your a field relic hunter get a Deus.. Just my opinion.
The Deus2 isn’t the Deus1. Its a bit deeper. It likes coins on edge just like the D1. There is a 9 year gap between the two machines I’m sure XP made some better changes.

I use the Deus2 for turf hunting and it’s my main detector now Over the Minelab CTX. D2 is not just a relic machine. Dug up coins at more than 7 inches and a 5gram gold nugget at 6 inches in bad ground. It’s an excellent machine. The updates are looking bad for the D2 which I did NOT do.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deus2 isn’t the Deus1. Its a bit deeper. It likes coins on edge just like the D1. There is a 9 year gap between the two machines I’m sure XP made some better changes.

I use the Deus2 for turf hunting and it’s my main detector now Over the Minelab CTX. D2 is not just a relic machine. Dug up coins at more than 7 inches and a 5gram gold nugget at 6 inches in bad ground. It’s an excellent machine. The updates are looking bad for the D2 which I did NOT do.
Query: Why do you feel it isn't a relic machine?

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Query: Why do you feel it isn't a relic machine?
I didn’t say it wasn’t. I posted it was NOT just a relic machine.
The Deus machines excellent relic machines. One of the reasons I bought one and waterproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread