Legend and Deus drama on YouTube - productive or poor use of everyone's time?

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every metal detector has strengths/weaknesses and scenarios in which it will thrive/struggle. We are in a 'jack of all trades, expert of none" era of detecting in which companies are trying to make their unit the "only one you will even need," and in the process there more than ever seems a need to convince us which one that should be.. However, as an actual user at some point I hope that helpful and informative videos on how to enhance/maximize the use of these detectors in real-world settings begin to surface. Generally speaking, the trend toward "proving the best" detector is getting so played out and monotonous that is is just not helpful. I believe if it were this obvious at this point there would no longer be a need for such videos. To me at least the only proof that no detector is really better than the other has been the continuous necessity of trying to demonstrate otherwise. Would recommend people who spend countless hours "testing" detectors against each other spend more time actually doing live runs with various settings and helping the people who own them.

Upvote 16

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how anyone can comment on these two units unless they have purchased both.

The Deus2 isnā€™t the Deus1. Its a bit deeper. It likes coins on edge just like the D1. There is a 9 year gap between the two machines Iā€™m sure XP made some better changes.

I use the Deus2 for turf hunting and itā€™s my main detector now Over the Minelab CTX. D2 is not just a relic machine. Dug up coins at more than 7 inches and a 5gram gold nugget at 6 inches in bad ground. Itā€™s an excellent machine. The updates are looking bad for the D2 which I did NOT do.
Aside from running simultaneous multi frequency what would I gain by buying a deus 2 over my original Deus,I'm strickly a dirt hunter, parks and yards.

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
The Deus2 isnā€™t the Deus1. Its a bit deeper. It likes coins on edge just like the D1. There is a 9 year gap between the two machines Iā€™m sure XP made some better changes.

I use the Deus2 for turf hunting and itā€™s my main detector now Over the Minelab CTX. D2 is not just a relic machine. Dug up coins at more than 7 inches and a 5gram gold nugget at 6 inches in bad ground. Itā€™s an excellent machine. The updates are looking bad for the D2 which I did NOT do.
Care to elaborate on the updates for the D2? Which way are they bad? What version update if any are you on?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't sort the hype from fact between the big popular units, let alone some relatively unknown brand with a terrible selection for a name.
Relatively unknown brand in the US, yet well known in Europe.

As a new detectorist you spent $1600 on a machine, and then another $700 on a second, without being able to sort facts from hype.

Due diligence can be more satisfying than impulse purchasing.

Reactions: ARC

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022

As a new detectorist you spent $1600 on a machine, and then another $700 on a second, without being able to sort facts from hype.

I purchased 3. Legend. Deus II, and 3030 heading my way.

No, it's absolutely impossible to get a total grasp of these units Via Youtube/User reviews. It's like picking your wife from a personals ad online, just isn't going to work. I've concluded, depending on how and where I use a MD, is going to be a lot different than someone else.

One thing I know for certain, the best way for me to critique each MD, is to use it myself! Only then will I know which one suits my style the best.

Would be like your buddies picking out a wife for you.... just isn't going to work. There is a lot of factors what is hard to quantify, or the majority of reviews don't quantify when evaluating these MD's.

I have multiple houses, I have about 10 cars. Only live in one, and only use one, but.. guess what, if I want to take a ride in a sports car, it's in the garage.

Im guessing even though I'm new at this, after a few months, I will know more about the Deus2 and CTX 3030 than anyone who's only read info online or watched YouTube video's about them. Agree or not?

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from running simultaneous multi frequency what would I gain by buying a deus 2 over my original Deus,I'm strickly a dirt hunter, parks and yards.
Depth, stability in bad ground, waterproof.
You probably donā€™t need any of that so the D1 is all you need.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Care to elaborate on the updates for the D2? Which way are they bad? What version update if any are you on?
The updates are bad. I didnā€™t do any updates, I donā€™t have a laptop computer to download. I have zero issues.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, it's absolutely impossible to get a total grasp of these units Via Youtube/User reviews. It's like picking your wife from a personals ad online, just isn't going to work. I've concluded, depending on how and where I use a MD, is going to be a lot different than someone else.

One thing I know for certain, the best way for me to critique each MD, is to use it myself! Only then will I know which one suits my style the best.

Would be like your buddies picking out a wife for you.... just isn't going to work. There is a lot of factors what is hard to quantify, or the majority of reviews don't quantify when evaluating these MD's.

I have multiple houses, I have about 10 cars. Only live in one, and only use one, but.. guess what, if I want to take a ride in a sports car, it's in the garage.

Im guessing even though I'm new at this, after a few months, I will know more about the Deus2 and CTX 3030 than anyone who's only read info online or watched YouTube video's about them. Agree or not?
Minelab CTX 3030 will take the longest to learn.

Reactions: ARC

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ManinTheWall if your just getting started in the Hobby that's going to be a full plate for you to evaluate those 3 machines. Especially considering 2 are new to the market and almost everyone is learning those 2 and the 3rd is loaded with features and settings. Good Luck though - It will probably come down to ergonomics and your own personally hearing preference at first.

_ On the topic of Rutus they are legit and should be treated as such. I believe a closer comparison would be they are like Koenigsegg in the supercar world...maybe not a household name yet maybe like Porsche and Ferrari but still producing a high-end product. One thing the Rutus (latin for dig up - like rut up a yard) is lacking though is waterproofing so if your a wet beach / diver it's out of the question. It wasn't that long ago that Nokta/Makro was also the new kid on the block.

jamboree

Greenie
Nov 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this answer will seem to come out of left field, but...my decades-old Tesoro machines still seem to outperform all these cutting-edge new brands, no matter how advanced they are. I'm leery of detector brands that have constant software updates and tiny incremental additional features with each new release, requiring the user to always keep abreast of the ongoing latest info to prevent the feeling that your detector has suddenly become obsolete. My reaction is to just stay as old-school as possible. I don't have a chance to detect as often as I would like, but I'm confident knowing that I can stuff my Tesoro in a closet and take it out a year later, turn it on, and in 3 seconds it's performing like a champ. Totally reliable, never breaks, never needs updating, light as a feather, ridiculously simple to operate.

I don't own any of the newer brands, but have been at rallies where people did have them (including the Deus), and we've done several friendly comparison-tests in real-world conditions, and my Tesoro Vaquero and Tesoro Siver Sabre uMax have always matched or surpassed any other brands or models, when it comes to depth. As far as discrimination, it does take developing a "good ear" for interpreting the Tesoros' sounds, but once you've used them for a while (as I have), it's second-nature to be able to tell the sound made by a good target versus the sound made by aluminum or iron. I'm also able to pretty well estimate depth, just by the type and volume of the beep.

If some company finally releases a detector with a true breakthrough technology (which does exist, but nobody's released it commercially yet), I'll finally upgrade to a newer model, but until then it just seems that all detectors are (and always have been) based on the same fundamental principals, no matter how many bells and whistles are attached, and I prefer to use the most stripped-down detector possible with the fewest complications, and after all these decades the Tesoro (even if they have since gone out of business) is still the star.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnā€™t say it wasnā€™t. I posted it was NOT just a relic machine.
The Deus machines excellent relic machines. One of the reasons I bought one and waterproof.
Do you hunt in parks for coins, or anywhere for coins? Or are you a relic field type hunter? I'm curious what the visual ID is like for you if you hunt parks,,,I mean for coins upto 8 inches? I see guys digging and claiming 16 inches on things,to be honest I'm not looking to dig anything that deep. But if it'll unmask coins better than the nox and legend at say 8 inches, and give a pretty close visual ID that would be great

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well Ā£685.00 for the unit, then the cost of the 600 and Notka adds up to?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You're new to this so you'll realize that all three operate in some forum the same.
Each one will indicate there's something buried.
Minelab/Deus totally different in sound-numbers-and weight.
Swing the 3030 for 10 hrs-better know how good the arms are, now reduce the weight 3 lbs and swing the Dues heavenly in comparison.

The 3030 will go deeper as tests have shown between the top detectors-yet there is one video out there stating that the Deus ll went deeper.

I don't really know how long it will take you to get a handle of the 3 different machines. All I can attest to is it takes hundreds of hours on a machine before one can know it.
I put the time at a 1000 hrs before I know it so well that I have dug thousands of targets, and know what I heard/saw right was what the machine is telling me.

The 3030 was not too hard to grasp because I had an Explorer/SE/ETrac before so it was an easy transition.
But there was still learning, and will be all over again because of the unit sat there in the storage for 6 yrs.

There's folks that have the time on the machine and know it well, these are the ones that should be listen too.

I guess it boils done to a person regardless of understanding the electronic/science has to put the time into digging, there's no real short cuts.
I'm still learning the Deus l and I have had it now for 5 yrs (slow learner maybe) :laughing7:
Though watching/reading isn't the practical side of anything.
Until one throws the weather/soils/garbage/iron in with the things that we all seek then it's experience.

Enrique

Greenie
Jun 27, 2005
Henryville, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Silver Saber Plus, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know what makes any brand of metal dector great. The USER. That's it.
All the bells and whistles don't mean a damn thing if you don't know what you're doing.
It's like arguing about which is a better guitar, Fender or Gibson.
I'm still using a Whites DFX and I've found Rings, Silver, and Relics.
At good depths too.
I won't get another detect until this one dies.

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you hunt in parks for coins, or anywhere for coins? Or are you a relic field type hunter? I'm curious what the visual ID is like for you if you hunt parks,,,I mean for coins upto 8 inches? I see guys digging and claiming 16 inches on things,to be honest I'm not looking to dig anything that deep. But if it'll unmask coins better than the nox and legend at say 8 inches, and give a pretty close visual ID that would be great
I hunt parks, water, beaches, old homes, demos, old settlements. When I hunt parks or grassy areas for silver coins I cherrypick
Ike you do I just donā€™t dig everything and leave hole marks everywhere.
The D2 doesnā€™t I.d. too well at deepies but does the job. Not saying itā€™s better than the NOX. I own a CTX and Iā€™ve pounded all the turf areas where I live. Now thereā€™s nothing much after years of using the CTX. Bought the D2 for demos, field hunting and parks I think it does a better job for coins on edge and close to iron. Not sure how good the Legend is so Iā€™m not going to comment on it. Right now Iā€™m finding good targets in the grass with the D2 that the CTX missed.

I heard Minelab is coming out with a new detector and Iā€™m pretty sure it will not be a lower priced detector like the NOX. Minelab got everyone hooked with that detector and made $$$$$$ selling it so low priced and soon they will all be looking to get their hands on the new Minelab detector which will be high priced.

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
agree with you Terry, its almost like we are not being given the whole story of either detector, I know what I have seen out of the legend and I will say it pretty much matches up with what you have shown on your videos and what paystreak has shown on his videos and only one video calabash posted did I see what he was saying was wrong which what I seen in my Legend was the same as Calabash showed plus a few other things, and since Nokta/Macro put out the new update I am not seeing those issues any longer.
Incorrect information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread