Legend and Deus drama on YouTube - productive or poor use of everyone's time?

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every metal detector has strengths/weaknesses and scenarios in which it will thrive/struggle. We are in a 'jack of all trades, expert of none" era of detecting in which companies are trying to make their unit the "only one you will even need," and in the process there more than ever seems a need to convince us which one that should be.. However, as an actual user at some point I hope that helpful and informative videos on how to enhance/maximize the use of these detectors in real-world settings begin to surface. Generally speaking, the trend toward "proving the best" detector is getting so played out and monotonous that is is just not helpful. I believe if it were this obvious at this point there would no longer be a need for such videos. To me at least the only proof that no detector is really better than the other has been the continuous necessity of trying to demonstrate otherwise. Would recommend people who spend countless hours "testing" detectors against each other spend more time actually doing live runs with various settings and helping the people who own them.

Upvote 16

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this answer will seem to come out of left field, but...my decades-old Tesoro machines still seem to outperform all these cutting-edge new brands, no matter how advanced they are. I'm leery of detector brands that have constant software updates and tiny incremental additional features with each new release, requiring the user to always keep abreast of the ongoing latest info to prevent the feeling that your detector has suddenly become obsolete. My reaction is to just stay as old-school as possible. I don't have a chance to detect as often as I would like, but I'm confident knowing that I can stuff my Tesoro in a closet and take it out a year later, turn it on, and in 3 seconds it's performing like a champ. Totally reliable, never breaks, never needs updating, light as a feather, ridiculously simple to operate.

I don't own any of the newer brands, but have been at rallies where people did have them (including the Deus), and we've done several friendly comparison-tests in real-world conditions, and my Tesoro Vaquero and Tesoro Siver Sabre uMax have always matched or surpassed any other brands or models, when it comes to depth. As far as discrimination, it does take developing a "good ear" for interpreting the Tesoros' sounds, but once you've used them for a while (as I have), it's second-nature to be able to tell the sound made by a good target versus the sound made by aluminum or iron. I'm also able to pretty well estimate depth, just by the type and volume of the beep.

If some company finally releases a detector with a true breakthrough technology (which does exist, but nobody's released it commercially yet), I'll finally upgrade to a newer model, but until then it just seems that all detectors are (and always have been) based on the same fundamental principals, no matter how many bells and whistles are attached, and I prefer to use the most stripped-down detector possible with the fewest complications, and after all these decades the Tesoro (even if they have since gone out of business) is still the star.
This is why I still love using my Tesoro Tejon.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seek most of my info here on Tnet.The Legend is getting some good write ups from experienced detectors who have no ties commercially to Nokta/Macro. I,ve read good reviews on the Deus also,but for the money the Legend seems to be gaining steam.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The funny thing about the whole thing is Calabash is afraid to actually discuss anything with anybody except certain vetted individuals. I am a subscriber of his because I've found his videos to be useful and interesting. But his antics surrounding the Legend and the Deus II are totally ridiculous. The fact is, Calabash is biased toward his one true love the Deus II, and his mistress' the Deus I, and the Equinox 800. He's got no room in his heart for any other. That's alright, but he's officially lost any claim to the "unbiased tester" label. Because of his last two videos, I may not watch any more of his content.

Calabash, on the video where you claim that the signal the Legend is putting out on the bottle cap is "good", but you're wrong. That was a mixed-signal that I have learned to associate with iron trash. It's going to be interesting if the coming updates to the Legend firmly put it in the realm of the Deus 1 and 2, are you going to be able to admit it?

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look if the xp deus 2 was 5000.00 dollars and yet performed like some unbelievable machine it’s worth it. My point is isn’t finding anything epic or banner that others find, that’s what we are trying to say correct, it doesn’t matter who can afford, does it blow us away no, he can’t stop trying to justify his case, everyday he’s making a video , look it’s ridiculous if I didn’t no better he’s defending this machine like it’s family, nothing to prove but he finds it’s almost personal, not healthy, like he say 1600 to 600, I’m cool with it but as your reading this he’s bothered by a lot lately, I tell him spend less time defending nothing and go find stuff, it’s getting overboard never in my life I seen such a position ones taken

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just how does one get their hands on a Deus II pre-release anyhow??
Probably request it. Then XP would have to decide if the requester's opinion is visible to enough potential buyers.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troll protection......

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can find twice the amount of stuff you guys find with the Deus. For the money you all paid for the Deus, I bought 2 legends and use one in each hand. LMAO.
Ahhhhh, I just read these threads for the same reason you look at an accident as you slow down, you just gotta.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can find twice the amount of stuff you guys find with the Deus. For the money you all paid for the Deus, I bought 2 legends and use one in each hand. LMAO.
Ahhhhh, I just read these threads for the same reason you look at an accident as you slow down, you just gotta.
JOe L,that is the absolute funniest thing I,ve seen yet!:laughing7::laughing9::notworthy: You have done well!

ManInTheWaLL

Apr 17, 2022
I think the legend should be named "The Toy" in the presence of the Deus 2 , or CTX3030. Granted, it's a nice product for the price, but it's not in the same league as the Deus2. I have all 3, and... the legend is collecting dust.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the legend should be named "The Toy" in the presence of the Deus 2 , or CTX3030. Granted, it's a nice product for the price, but it's not in the same league as the Deus2. I have all 3, and... the legend is collecting dust.
Can you post a picture of all 3 of those detectors of yours together side by side?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You should mention that you just started metal detecting 1 month ago as a disclaimer to your "I have all 3, and in my opinion blah blah blah...". :dontknow:

How many total hours do you have detecting, and exactly how much "dust collecting" happened in those 30 whole days days?? ???:laughing7: :laughing7:

Such BS 🙄

Did XP send you a replacement screw yet for the one that fell out of your Deus 2 after 3 whole days of detecting??
after 1 day of use my screw came lose. I tightened it up, within 2 more days it fell out. I highly suggest you locktite yours in, if yours is still there.

Besides that.... it's a very refined excellent MD

View attachment 2022754

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hold up, just a few weeks ago you were completely new to detecting, yet it's already collecting dust and inferior? Heck, you haven't even had time to learn to navigate all the menu's on it yet...

I purchased a Legend and a Deus 2 within a week. Newbie user.

Your post from a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's please not get into flame wars bad mouthing other's detectors, not everyone can afford $1600-$2500 for a detector.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every metal detector has strengths/weaknesses and scenarios in which it will thrive/struggle. We are in a 'jack of all trades, expert of none" era of detecting in which companies are trying to make their unit the "only one you will even need," and in the process there more than ever seems a need to convince us which one that should be.. However, as an actual user at some point I hope that helpful and informative videos on how to enhance/maximize the use of these detectors in real-world settings begin to surface. Generally speaking, the trend toward "proving the best" detector is getting so played out and monotonous that is is just not helpful. I believe if it were this obvious at this point there would no longer be a need for such videos. To me at least the only proof that no detector is really better than the other has been the continuous necessity of trying to demonstrate otherwise. Would recommend people who spend countless hours "testing" detectors against each other spend more time actually doing live runs with various settings and helping the people who own them.

Photo 1 is My CTX in the closet. Photo 2 is My Equinox 800 in My detector Armoire. Photo 3 is My Deus2 charging on Our floor for tomorrow’s hunt. My CTX is collecting dust, Nox800 also.
I haven’t used a legend, so don’t know the pros and cons on it yet. All of these detectors are Great in their own way.
I purchased the Deus2 for the depth and separation. Fortunately it has proved itself over and over to Me with some pretty Nice finds in areas that have been hunted by Myself and many others. The Nox800 helped Me pull a 1914d Wheat out of an iron infested yard that I had pounded with the CTX. After, I in return tore it up with the Nox, then I tried the Deus2 after I got it, and hit a Merc!! It was such a short and tight signal, but the Deus2 brought it in clear and I dug it almost 7” deep. Must have been on edge.
I can continue with success stories, but that’s not the moral to this. Every detector has its own pros and cons, along with prices. Myself, I’m happy with the Deus2. Not everyone can afford that, and there again I’m happy with the Equinox 800. They both have found Me some Great stuff. And the CTX found Me a 21.83 gram solid 14kt Gold ring!!! That’s how I got My Equinox 🤣. All machines can do very well. The style of hunting varies, but the hunter’s methods play a lot in it as well.
Either way, or any way, whatever detector you can afford, or get, I’m sure I’ll see many more Great posts of finds from All of You!!! Happy Hunting!!!!
1421D3D8-F13D-4A5F-84B9-FE851C0D8831.jpeg
3DA60C4B-6F9D-4CE8-800D-815FCE05D3CE.jpeg
48979854-4344-467D-B38C-70C710C4AF0E.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Deus II and after about 10 days sold all the rest of my detectors, including the Deus I with HF coil. I have been hitting only pounded sites with good results. Right now the woods and field season is over here, so it will be beaches until November. Ticks, snakes, assorted monsters, that kind of thing you know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread