Legend and Deus II Gold Coin

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Calabash.

Thank you for doing these latest video head to head comparisons. I really appreciate your approach to these latest videos and am excited to watch more of them. You are a very good tester and like you said, this testing helps you, me and anyone watching get a good feel for these detectors and what they can do well and not so well whether we already own them or are interested in owning them. Again, many thanks for all of your hard work to make them.

I got inspired watching this video. So I did my own testing to see how close I could get to your results. Not checking up on you. I just wanted to see what would happen since I have the Deus 2 with 9" coil only, the Legend and the Equinox 800 and I am still debating which ones will stay and which ones will go.......

Your testing was easy to duplicate and the results I got were virtually the same.
My setup was similar to yours with a late 1800s square nail 1" from the left edge of an 1852 one dollar gold coin and another late 1800s square nail 1.5" from the right edge of the coin and elevated on a 2x4.

Deus 2 with version 0.71 software. Legend using version 1.09 software.

I don't know the exact Deus 2 program you were using so I just used Program 2 Sensitive and ended up with disc. at 6.7, sens. 90, freq. shift 1, iron vol. 0, reactivity 5, Audio Resp. 5, Thresh. 0, PWM Pitch tones, Bottle Cap 0, Notch Off, Silencer 0. I got 2 way hits with disc up to 6.7 up to 2" above the elevated nail. One way hits started at 6.8 with cherry picking still 2 way all the way up to disc 10. Very impressive results from Deus 2.

I also got the same results as you on that same configuration with the Legend using the 11" coil in Park M2, disc pattern F-1 to 10 discriminated out, sens 21, recovery speed 10, Iron filter 1, Iron stability 5, Pitch tones, Iron vol. 0, Iron tone break 10. Clean one way hits only.

So I chose to go ahead and adjust the discrimination pattern to G-1,2,3 discriminated out and moved the Iron tone break to 7. Legend got clean 2 way hits up to 1" above the elevated nail.

Nox 800.....failed the original configuration completely in Park 2 Multi, disc +1 to +39 accepted, sens. 18, recovery speed 8, F2=0, tones 2, Iron vol. 0, upper iron tone break 0. No changes in any setting would help, period. So I moved the elevated nail to 2" from the right edge of the gold coin and began to get one way hits with the coil just about touching the elevated nail. I stopped there.

As you have said, Deus 2 beats the socks off of the Equinox in this kind of testing and so does the Legend. IMG_3316.jpg

However, the tables get turned completely around in another kind of testing and actual hunting. You asked me to wait a year and then I could let you know how Deus 2 is for gold prospecting. I don't have to wait a year unless XP is going to drastically improve Deus 2 Goldfield in the next few months. They need to improve the other land based high frequency weighted programs too in my opinion for low conductor sensitivity in general. I have a feeling however that this insensitivity to lower conductors in these programs may be deliberate and well planned. Tnsharpshooter has demonstrated this several times in videos using small bits of foil on a 2X4 with US coins underneath the 2X4. Deus 2 basically ignores the foil and zeros in on the coins. That is great for coin/relic hunters. It is not so great for micro gold jewelry hunters and gold prospectors.

I used the same 1852 gold one dollar coin which weighs 1.65 grams along with flattened lead sinkers weighing 1 gram, .75 grams, .50 grams and .25 grams for a gold prospecting mode air test. From my experience these numbers are pretty good using the same settings for in the ground targets in mild to inert soil conditions. In almost inert dirt/sand they can actually be better if there isn't too much EMI and sensitivity can be cranked up. But, add in moderate to high mineralization and the results get cut in half or worse. I did test all detectors with a .8 gram nugget and a .25 gram nugget and the results were very similar to the same sized flattened lead sinkers.

Deus 2 Goldfield 9" coil disc IAR 0, Sens 90, Freq. Shift 4, Iron Vol. 3, Reactivity 2.5, Audio response 3, Threshold 8, using the area of the 9" coil near the 4 of the 4 to 45 kHz labeling which seems to be the most sensitive to these targets and listening for faint but consistent 2 way hits which EMI mess with unfortunately. Headphones are a must.
$1 1852 gold coin = 6.5", 1 gram flat lead = 5", .75 gram =4.25", .5 gram =3.5", .25 gram = 2.75".

Your 1853 $1 gold coin should give similar results if you can run sensitivity at 90 EMI permitting. All the other settings I used will work in most highly mineralized gold prospecting areas except maybe reactivity which might have to be moved to 3 or more. The same goes for the gold prospecting settings on the other detectors.

Legend Goldfield M results using the 11" and 6" coils, disc pattern A, sens 21, freq. shift 12, recovery speed 5, iron filter 1, iron stability 1, threshold 5
11" coil.......$1 1852 gold coin = 9.25", 1 gram flat lead = 8", .75 gram =7.25", .5 gram = 6.25", .25 gram = 5"
6" coil.......$1 1852 gold coin = 8.5", 1 gram flat lead =7.25", .75 gram = 6.25", .5 gram = 5.5", .25 gram = 4.5"

Equinox 800 Gold 2 Multi results using the 11" and 6 " coils, disc. nothing rejected, sens 18, freq. shift 9, take ground balance out of tracking and leave on 0 or 1, threshold 5, recovery speed 4, F2 iron bias =0.
11" coil......$1 1852 gold coin =9.5", 1 gram flat lead = 8.25", .75 gram =7.25", .5 gram = 6.25", .25 gram = 5.25"
6" coil......$1 1852 gold coin = 8.5", 1 gram flat lead = 7.25", .75 gram = 6.25", .5 gram = 5.5", .25 gram = 4.5 "

Just for kicks:
Deus 2 Mono 9" coil results disc= -6.4, sens 90, frequency 45.5 kHz, iron vol. =3, reactivity = 2.5, audio response =3, threshold = 8, PWM Pitch tones, Notch = Off, silencer =0
$1 1852 gold coin = 8.5", 1 gram flat lead = 7.25", .75 gram = 6.25", .5 gram =5.5", .25 gram =4.5"
These Deus 2 Mono results are almost as good as Deus 1 and ORX Gold field results.

However, one would think and experience has clearly shown me using the Equinox 800, that simultaneous multi frequency tech like Multi IQ will ground balance really well on hot dirt and can alleviate some of the depth loss inherent in high magnetite mineralization. Using Deus 2 Mono eliminates the benefits that FMF tech might provide in the same way. Using Deus 2 Gold field and FMF at this point.......the nuggets had better be either pretty big, like above .25 grams. If they are smaller they need to be basically touching the coil in high mineralization. That is pretty rare in the USA gold fields. So are lots of nuggets over .25 grams. This also effects micro gold jewelry hunting if the gold targets are really small using the other land based higher weighted programs from my testing. I hope XP are willing to make some kind of adjustment for this deficiency at least in Gold Field...... IMG_3315.jpg

If anyone reading has lasted this long.....my sympathies are with you. Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good report...I got my comments opened on my last video . You mind posting about the Gold coin test ?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Calabash, Did either machine come anywhere close to Properly IDing the gold coin with VDI numbers? Or would you be digging that target based only on sound???

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound..Deus II I D is more accurate at correct ID on tougher targets..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, all videos of the Legend are removed from my channel...Free advertising over..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got plenty of Deus II videos..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No conspiracies..I just dont care for Nokta Makro so they will not be on my channel anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread