Legend and Manticore

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Anyone know of any differences between the two other than basically a $1000 price difference? Looking at specs they are almost identical other than one has a 2d screen.
As a 2d screen is not something that interests me trying to figure out justification of spending that much more.
The 50% more battery from what I understand is compared just to the equinox and still only has 9 hr run time. If its to just throw more power in the coil for field of depth is that also going to negatively impact performance with oversensitivity and emi especially in highly mineralized and trashy areas.
This is not intended as a ML vs NM thread as i have a Legend and have had and like both brands just don’t want to pay that much more for almost the same thing. Just like it would not make sense to have both the Legend and equinox 800.
Is there anything else that really makes it diffident other than 2d screen for nearly $1000 more.
Not a performance difference right now obviously but more of an out of box features to price comparison.
Sincere question, please no “fanboys”
making this more than what it is.
With dealers asking for preorder with full payment up front of $1600 with no date i think its only normal to ask before dishing out $1600 unless money is no object of course.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manticore's 2D screen will give you a lot more info, giving you the conductive and ferrous content of your targets is what made the Explorer, ETrac, and the 3030 such great detectors as well as popular. Until we see more field tests we will have to wait on the more power aspect, but if minelab research has found a way to increase the tx power without an increase in the ground noise then it could be a major step. It also has several nice features, for me how it collapses down to 25 inches is the best of the added feature, at that size you can snorkel or scuba dive to 15 feet with it as well as now having the handle vibration and built-in light.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will most likely buy a Manticore ....but no way am i shelling out $1600 based on a few Minelab videos. I will wait for some unbiased user reviews and go from there. If a man currently has a Deus 2, Equinox or Legend he is plenty well armed for the fall detecting season. The Manticore does seem really nice and probably a good competitor for the Dues 2.

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
I will most likely buy a Manticore ....but no way am i shelling out $1600 based on a few Minelab videos. I will wait for some unbiased user reviews and go from there. If a man currently has a Deus 2, Equinox or Legend he is plenty well armed for the fall detecting season. The Manticore does seem really nice and probably a good competitor for the Dues 2.
Yeah great advice

OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Manticore's 2D screen will give you a lot more info, giving you the conductive and ferrous content of your targets is what made the Explorer, ETrac, and the 3030 such great detectors as well as popular. Until we see more field tests we will have to wait on the more power aspect, but if minelab research has found a way to increase the tx power without an increase in the ground noise then it could be a major step. It also has several nice features, for me how it collapses down to 25 inches is the best of the added feature, at that size you can snorkel or scuba dive to 15 feet with it as well as now having the handle vibration and built-in light.
Yeah if they can pull that off would be nice. Have to wait to see on that unfortunately. As for just features as the ones you like with collapsing, vibrating, light, etc the Legend i have already does all that including going down to 10ft underwater.and is nearly 1/3 the price. If i were to scuba dive going just an extra 6ft to only 16ft seems an awkward depth to stop. I would rather use the excalliber and know I’m good to 200ft or one of the other small handheld PI machines. Either I’m wading/snorkeling or diving in which case the legend or manticore are both good for wading/snorkeling I don’t know if i would be confident pushing them for scuba. But thats just me I prefer not to push the limits underwater.lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah if they can pull that off would be nice. Have to wait to see on that unfortunately. As for just features as the ones you like with collapsing, vibrating, light, etc the Legend i have already does all that including going down to 10ft underwater.and is nearly 1/3 the price. If i were to scuba dive going just an extra 6ft to only 16ft seems an awkward depth to stop. I would rather use the excalliber and know I’m good to 200ft or one of the other small handheld PI machines. Either I’m wading/snorkeling or diving in which case the legend or manticore are both good for wading/snorkeling I don’t know if i would be confident pushing them for scuba. But thats just me I prefer not to push the limits underwater.lol
Everyone is little different, there are a lot of people who snorkel hunt in Florida, hunting shallow water 4 feet and less. I have multiple excals with different coils and special mods, 3030s and equinox, I love the excals too.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Legend, Deus 2 and two Equinox 800s. I rarely use my 800s right now. Mostly I am giving them a break and learning Deus 2 and the Legend. The Legend does have a few features that the 800 simply does not have that have been incorporated into the Manticore. Deus 2 has the extreme target separation and recovery speed that the Nox and Legend lack (and maybe Manticore will not compete with Deus 2 in that regard either.....maybe it will)

Ignoring all of the negative Legend testing and all of the Equinox/Deus2/Manticore hype.....Manticore is going to have to substantially out perform those three detectors in order for me to remotely consider the Manticore. Proof of the Manticore's abilities for me anyway, will have to come from unaffiliated users not pre-release testers or YouTube influencers. That may take awhile.

Basically, Manticore's price tag, although probably justifiable for a person that is upgrading from a single frequency detector or an out of warranty Equinox, doesn't make a lot of sense compared to the bargain price of the Legend considering how well the Legend performs and its features. I hunt most of the time in moderate to extreme iron mineralization. The Legend has been outstanding in those conditions and every bit the equal of the Equinox 800.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
I own a Legend, Deus 2 and two Equinox 800s. I rarely use my 800s right now. Mostly I am giving them a break and learning Deus 2 and the Legend. The Legend does have a few features that the 800 simply does not have that have been incorporated into the Manticore. Deus 2 has the extreme target separation and recovery speed that the Nox and Legend lack (and maybe Manticore will not compete with Deus 2 in that regard either.....maybe it will)

Ignoring all of the negative Legend testing and all of the Equinox/Deus2/Manticore hype.....Manticore is going to have to substantially out perform those three detectors in order for me to remotely consider the Manticore. Proof of the Manticore's abilities for me anyway, will have to come from unaffiliated users not pre-release testers or YouTube influencers. That may take awhile.

Basically, Manticore's price tag, although probably justifiable for a person that is upgrading from a single frequency detector or an out of warranty Equinox, doesn't make a lot of sense compared to the bargain price of the Legend considering how well the Legend performs and its features. I hunt most of the time in moderate to extreme iron mineralization. The Legend has been outstanding in those conditions and every bit the equal of the Equinox 800.
Personally just my opinion equinox should have been around $800 and Manticore maybe something like $1100 would have made it a much easier decision or harder decision to choose depending how you look at it.
Maybe corporate greed seeing how many easily fork out $1600 for the Deus. You pay for what you get only goes so far.
Confined in a small rural town where 30mph speed limit is strictly enforced if you want to buy a Lamborghini thats your prerogative but are you getting your money’s worth.
Maybe for $1600 it will surprise with some astonishing abilities we will have to wait and see but to prepay with what we just know now is a little hard to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread