leprechaun's gold

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
20180318_145216.jpg 20180318_173202.jpg might be putting the sdc up for sale if i keep this up

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
might be putting the sdc up for sale if i keep this up

Those are beautiful finds! Nicely done!! It looks like you had to do a bit of digging to get to them too.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
20 grams and 4 grams. learned a lot today

Last edited:
OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
4500 can get most of the small stuff that the sdc can, but it blows the sdc away on pieces over a half gram. sdc is a breeze in thick brush, gpx, not so much. thinking about liquidating the sdc and getting a sadie and 19 evo , and have plenty left over

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going !:)

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice finds!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You got close to that big one. bet your heart started poundin like heck.
Probably blew the head phones out.

Nice trophy id put that bign in the save pile.
Hope you get more.
Gt......

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
You got close to that big one. bet your heart started poundin like heck.
Probably blew the head phones out.

Nice trophy id put that bign in the save pile.
Hope you get more.
Gt......

ill put it into context with a nice recount even lanny would appreciate.... so i woke up 2 hours before my alarm and so i stirred in bed for a while. put on the coffee and got my lunch together. was out the door before sunrise. got to my destination and went uphill for the first part of the day. i was in the diggings, but didnt see the things that give me confidence, so after awhile i meandered back to a place i have found gold. i was not expecting too much as i have been over this ground pretty well. so i knew i must have a different approach if i was to have any success. i inspected every ground noise, and tried to get in close to the brush, and any spot that i did not give a thorough check. i had dug several more targets, so i knew i was on the right track. then i got a very faint signal over some large cobble. expecting a hot rock, i scraped the rocks out of the way and to my surprise the signal was still there, though still very weak. still expecting a ground noise, i scraped an inch off. signal was still there, but still not a definite signal. after 3 inches down i started to build confidence that maybe its a true signal. after i got about 8 inches i was pretty certain it was a good signal. once it was way too loud for any sort of hot spot i started to get butterflies in my stomach. at 12 inches it was so loud i couldnt tell where it was, me being a pessimist, i figured there was a piece of trash somewhere around the margin of the hole. i shut off the detector and went to get my backpack which had my pin pointer. i didnt let the anxiety get the best of me. i returned with my bag, i stopped and had a drink of tea....i mean water, had a snack, and back to work i went. the pinpointer did just as it was designed. i took my crevicing tool and broke up the clay a bit. after a couple inches more i turned over a clump of clay and there shown that beautiful yellow metal. it did not fit in mouth of my snuffer bottle, so i checked my pocket for holes before placing it in my jeans pocket. i left the hole open for a while as i searched the immediate area. a few minutes later i had a loud signal on the surface just 2 feet from my hole. two swipes of the pick and i was looking at a nugget clinging to clay reluctant to be taken. there are more nuggets being held against my will waiting to be liberated.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ill put it into context with a nice recount even lanny would appreciate.... so i woke up 2 hours before my alarm and so i stirred in bed for a while. put on the coffee and got my lunch together. was out the door before sunrise. got to my destination and went uphill for the first part of the day. i was in the diggings, but didnt see the things that give me confidence, so after awhile i meandered back to a place i have found gold. i was not expecting too much as i have been over this ground pretty well. so i knew i must have a different approach if i was to have any success. i inspected every ground noise, and tried to get in close to the brush, and any spot that i did not give a thorough check. i had dug several more targets, so i knew i was on the right track. then i got a very faint signal over some large cobble. expecting a hot rock, i scraped the rocks out of the way and to my surprise the signal was still there, though still very weak. still expecting a ground noise, i scraped an inch off. signal was still there, but still not a definite signal. after 3 inches down i started to build confidence that maybe its a true signal. after i got about 8 inches i was pretty certain it was a good signal. once it was way too loud for any sort of hot spot i started to get butterflies in my stomach. at 12 inches it was so loud i couldnt tell where it was, me being a pessimist, i figured there was a piece of trash somewhere around the margin of the hole. i shut off the detector and went to get my backpack which had my pin pointer. i didnt let the anxiety get the best of me. i returned with my bag, i stopped and had a drink of tea....i mean water, had a snack, and back to work i went. the pinpointer did just as it was designed. i took my crevicing tool and broke up the clay a bit. after a couple inches more i turned over a clump of clay and there shown that beautiful yellow metal. it did not fit in mouth of my snuffer bottle, so i checked my pocket for holes before placing it in my jeans pocket. i left the hole open for a while as i searched the immediate area. a few minutes later i had a loud signal on the surface just 2 feet from my hole. two swipes of the pick and i was looking at a nugget clinging to clay reluctant to be taken. there are more nuggets being held against my will waiting to be liberated.

Whoopee beekbuster!!!!!!! Now that is a riveting tale of sacrifice, hardship, and of course a satisfying reward fully merited by your perseverance and hard work. :icon_thumleft: Thanks for a really interesting thread, and for sharing your story with us.

WTG and congratulations, those are beautiful pieces!!!! :)

Jim.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You know, I'm so happy you wrote this up as I was going to ask you to do so. Regardless, now that you've done it, I have a much better idea of what your conditions were like and how you fine-tuned your hunt to get that sassy gold!

Nicely done, and many thanks for writing your gold tale!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks lanny, and jim.... a story isnt complete without some comedy relief. "had a drink of tea...i mean water". im happy to share my prospecting experiences. soon the weather will be more hospitable for more than just californians... hope this tides you over

Last edited:

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
Congratulations on the two nice nuggets. Just curious what coil were you using on your gpx4500 when you found these nuggets?

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your getting pretty good with that thang. Ive been watching your post. Your really getting the hang of it. I think you mentioned using your 45 in enhance. You lose alot of depth and sensitivity. I would stick with normal or extra. Even if you turn down the sensitivity quite a bit you still get more depth then enhance try it in a airtest or ground test. . I run my 5000 in normal most places. I turn down sens and stabilizer if i have to. I also use sens extra alot. It finds smaller stuff better then normal. I have used evos, coiltek mono elites. They are pretty much identical performance. But check out detech coils. I have a couple and they run alot smoother, less emi and more depth. There is a friend on youtube. His channel is goldhunter. He uses detech over all the others. He also has spent hundreds of dollars on coils. And detech is working best for Matt. ( goldhunter) maybe if your nice ill let you borrow my 18" detech sometime and you can dig up the nuggets you cant hear now. Anyway ill be back on forum soon with testing results from new Makro gold kruzer. Also im pretty sure i know where you are detecting. Im an expert at geology and vegatation. Dont take easy recognizable pics of areas. Keep your spot secret. There are others on these forums from our area that troll watching. Ready to steal your spot. See you out in the manzanita. Good luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is Goldhunter Matt Kelavas setting for 4500. Supposed to be the best after years of using one. For Hot mineralized ground..... manual tune 0-1 ( no auto tune) sens smooth , stabilizer 1,, rx gain 15. Front of detector deep, enhance, mono, fixed. For mellow ground... same setting except run normal on front of detector. And rx gain 12. Matt says it is the best, but like i said i like to run normal or sens extra and deep. The different timings isnt so much above how strong they are as much as how the signal is transmitted in the ground in pulses. Good luck

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the compliment and advice cg. i may have been a little generous with the pics. i tried normal at this spot and it would not ground balance. nothing but ground noise even with the gain at 1. i have come across this type of ground in one other location, but didnt have the 4500 yet. the area had a lot of evidence of previous detecting, but there is a lot of trash to pick through. ill try messing with it some more to see if i can run in normal, i know even with the gain at 1 it has better depth than enhance.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the two nice nuggets. Just curious what coil were you using on your gpx4500 when you found these nuggets?

14" coiltek mono elite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions