Lets talk Sand Scoops??

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, as you probably know by now I have just gotten a new Equinox 800 and I am new to this hobby, so I do not have any equipment.

I also restore old cars and I have all the tools; but I am having to start from ground zero to get the stuff/tools for this hobby.

So for those of you that do beach detecting, do you use a sand scoop? I see people using them in their videos on the beach.

They are fairly pricey. There is a smaller knee high sand scoop and I like the size and cost, but the holes look large in it.

Is a scoop something I need and should get? I mainly plan to use this on the beach. Is there an alternative? I do not mind bending over and digging, but if this would make it easier, then it is something to consider.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I began detecting in 2007 I bought everything cheap. Cheap digger, pouch, pointer, sand scoop, etc... If I had to do it over again I would have never bought the cheap stuff. To many problems with all of the cheap stuff. The finds bag ripped apart, the pointer fizzled out, and the fake Lesche digger bent on a root. I bought a cheap aluminum sand scoop and the thing was worthless in the beaches I tried to hunt. It bent and I had to kick it to get any depth, after a while the rear end broke. I bought Mary a cheap stainless scoop and she says it's like cutting into butter. All the beach guys will tell you to get stainless! I wish I listened back then!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to also post these questions in the beach detecting forum (link below) as you might want opinions from seasoned beach hunters besides just Equinox users, same with other generic equipment such as pinpointers. There are dedicated forums for accessories. Also, make an attempt to patronize the forum vendors who sponsor the site, especially if you are posting links. Don't want to run afoul of the forum posting rules.

Beach and Shallow Water

FWIW - i use a Beachmaster long handled travel scoop (handle breaks down for travel) for dry sand hunting and a T-Rex for wet sand and water hunting. I mainly just use the T-Rex if I am going to do both, but the beachmaster is easy to carry around for light duty beach hunting.

Examples of each and a bunch of other choices can be found here: https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/accessories/digging-tools/scoops

Agree with the sentiment here that you should go with quality equipment that can stand the rigors of beach detecting abuse.

Good luck.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
It's been a few years since I did any beach hunting in earnest, but when I started detecting I was in Florida on the Gulf side. I bought the shorter handle knee-high scoop for the same reason: cost. My back paid the price. I don't know specific models anymore, but I would certainly consider going with one of the longer handled ones.

Now that I'm digging in the dirt instead of the sand, I took the same approach with my digger; my first line of defense is the Lesche Sampson which allows me to get my initial plug out of the way standing fully upright, then I've got the White's digger for the up close and personal work.

Just my .02 worth :)

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone - especially vferrari. I did not mean to violate the rules and I will be more careful in the future

I have been looking and reading and I have found one I like, made by White.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Virtually all my detecting is on our Florida beaches and I have a few years under my belt.

A scoop is a necessity as far as I’m concerned and if you try it without one, you’ll eventually buy one.

I have tried numerous styles and makes. I agree with the advice of not going cheap. By doing so, you’ll buy more than one or two. Buy quality and it will last a lifetime.

I’ve used only Stealth scoops for a number of years now and they’re great. Solid construction with a lifetime warranty. I have a 720i and a 920i both with carbon fiber handles.

Check them out at http://stealthscoop.com

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only go in water a few inches deep and use a scoop with an 18" handle. There are a lot of good long handled ones for getting wet!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virtually all my detecting is on our Florida beaches and I have a few years under my belt.

A scoop is a necessity as far as I’m concerned and if you try it without one, you’ll eventually buy one.

I have tried numerous styles and makes. I agree with the advice of not going cheap. By doing so, you’ll buy more than one or two. Buy quality and it will last a lifetime.

I’ve used only Stealth scoops for a number of years now and they’re great. Solid construction with a lifetime warranty. I have a 720i and a 920i both with carbon fiber handles.

Check them out at Stealth beach scoop

Florida, Gulf coast is where I will be using my mainly. I have a place in Seaside. Thanks for the input.

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
I have the Nuttall scoop with the fiberglass handle. It is well made and has held up well. I do find it to be heavier than most. I upgraded to the Stealth 920iX scoop with a wooden handle. I like it much better than the Nuttall. A carbon fiber handle would make it even lighter than the wooden one. I am hunting NC beaches.

puterdoc

May 7, 2005
I have to second (or third) the Stealth scoop. I've had mine for 6 years now and it's still going strong. I have the carbon fiber handle on it and love it. I hunt the east coast Florida beaches for the most part.

Check them out at Stealth beach scoop

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Stealth 920i with the carbon fiber handle is the best scoop I've used. (and I have at least 6 others). Being a fellow wrench turner, you and I both know about using quality tools. Harbor Freight tools will work in most situations..... for a while, but, if you want to use the best, Snap-on is top dog.

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle on the scoop is just as important as the scoop. I have used wood and solid metal and take down metal handles. A lot depends on how and where you will use the scoop. If you dig a deep hole and the scoop is full of sand and you try to pull it up quickly a wood handle, it may snap. A two piece handle is nice for travel but is weaker than a solid one and a heavy solid handle on a scoop can also help balance you when the water is rough. I started out with a scoop with about 1/2 holes and still use them when hunting rings but like a scoop with smaller holes when hunting anything as things like stud earings can easily wash out of a 1/2 in hole.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
I tend to agree with Whyme as spending money on trial and error gets expensive also. I currently have four scoops. I finally broke down and bought the Stealth 720 as the 900 series was too heavy and a lifetime warranty on the Stealth scoop. I put a carbon fiber travel handle on it my new handle for this upcoming season. I also have a travel scoop RTG that's been use three times and though it does what it's supposed it's too heavy for my purposes. I'll be selling it here on TN. So any way yes get a good scoop the first time around and save money ultimately in the long run.

Pin pointers same deal I've had three finally bought the Garrett Carrot and love it.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up buying the Hexscoop sand scoop from White's Electronics (a sponsor of this site).

I have only used it for one beach trip so far, but I really liked it. I ended up making a handle using sch 80 PVC pipe (thick wall PVC) for the handle. Light weight but very strong. I used a quick disconnect on the middle of the shaft so it is easier to store

Headed back to the beach in about five weeks!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of us where weight and/or strength is an issue, carbon fiber is both lighter and stronger than PVC

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
LOL cudamark neither weight or strength but a half torn rotator cuff on scoop arm which makes Carbon fiber rod material of choice.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Guys, what do you think about 1.5mm thickness scoops vs 2mm which is more standard it seems.

Is 1.50mm considerably more fragile?

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, what do you think about 1.5mm thickness scoops vs 2mm which is more standard it seems.

Is 1.50mm considerably more fragile?

I have the White HexScoop and it is .060 or 1.5mm SS and it's almost over kill.

1.5mm SS scoop will not be fragile

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've put a lot of money into equipment over the years.

I use the Lesche digger and the Sampson for dirt. For the water I have a 920ix Stealth scoop and use a hickory post hole digger handle. The best feature in that hickory handle is that it stands straight up in the water. Yeah, it's a bit heavy out of the water, but I've a $50 hand scoop from Kellyco just for beach hunting and not the water.

I don't feel like I'll be changing any of my digging equipment in the near future = these serve all my needs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread