Lib of Congress Map Research Hints and Help

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi All, I am planning a trip to the LOC in 2 weeks to begin researching some maps and such. I was hoping that some of the experienced folks on here might please comment on any tips, tricks or help pulling and checking old maps there. My main area of interest is the Gulf, Caribbean, Bahamas, Sarahs, and other maps which may highlight naval battles between the English, Dutch, French or Spanish sailing fleets. I'm 5 years away from retiring and moving somewhere down there to hunt full time. I know some of you have done a trip or 2 to DC to research before, I'm getting my reader card. If anybody needs me to get them copies of something, please PM me and I'd be happy to help. If any of you have any suggestions on which maps I need to look into, please PM me. I'm a rookie to all this researching, but I'm excited to begin and would appreciate any help or advice.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Salvor6. Any other hints you or any of the other experts on here might comment on, be greatly appreciated.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where is ARRC he has a large map collection & does quite a bit online LOC?

OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks MPH. I've read a lot about ARRC, and his extensive map collection in many threads. Being a new guy and rookie to all these research methods and the site, didn't feel it was appropriate to contact him directly. While many of you seasoned experts at THing have been very welcoming and helpful to a new guy looking forward to retiring down there and hopefully work with some of you on future projects I'd be investing in. A few I've followed and would love to ask some questions from, wouldn't give me the time of day, for whatever reason. Thanks to those who've helped those of us just learning the art and anxious to learn more from those who've been there and done that.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Iteach, I think just about anyone you sent a pm to, would answer you. We may not have the answer, but we would send you to someone that can.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh I just saw this thread... arrrrg.

I feel bad... he msgd me I think... and I no replied... errr

: /

If ya see em let me know.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

That publication has a particular place in my heart. When I was a lad my Mother ordered me a copy when she was getting some other Superintendent of Documents publications and the title caught her eye. About the same time in our little library I stumbled upon Dig for Pirate Treasure by the late, great Bob Nesmith and then I found the old Gold Bug Newsletter and learned about The Foul Anchor Archives and Bob's book lists I was hooked!

My original copy has many letters and postal cards stapled to it as I tried to keep track of everyone I wrote to, seeking copies of all those maps. To this day I regret not purchasing Hammond's Capt. Kidd's Treasure Map - the five or ten bucks it cost was a lot of money back then! Many of the listed publishers and sellers were OOB - sometimes the sources of treasure literature are as ephemeral as treasure itself.

The first edition of Treasure Maps in the Library of Congress, compiled by J. Douglas Hill and Richard S. Ladd, was published in 1955 and reprinted in 1957. All the original items and quite a few new ones were included in a revised edition: A Descriptive List of Treasure Maps and Charts in the Library of Congress, compiled by Richard S. Ladd (Washington, DC: Superintendent of Documents, 1964). This edition was reprinted by Bob McCoy's Rio Grande Press and copies are often offered for sale.

Then A Descriptive List of Treasure Maps and Charts in the Library of Congress, Second Edition, compiled by Donald A. Wise (Library of Congress: Washington, DC: 1973) was issued. Quite a few maps and charts were added (including a crude high school effort of my own - the first and rather inaccurate attempt to document the many shipwrecks in Lake Michigan's Manitou Passage) but some were omitted. And the very interesting roster "A Selected Group of Books on Treasure Trove" was not included.

For some reason the Second Edition, although much larger, is less well-known than the 1964 version. And, when it does come up for sale, generally considerably more expensive.

I'd happily offer anyone a photocopy of either one for what it costs to make and send one - as US Government publications, neither is under copyright.

The result is that one must have both editions to obtain all the available information. A modern edition, that would be a catalog of my own collection, has been "in the works" for many years. I thought I would complete it when I retired; but I haven't been able to retire yet.

The maps and charts of most help to serious treasure hunters are the historic ones by Bowen, De Brahm, Jeffreys, et al. The shipwreck, lost mine and buried treasure maps are certainly fun, but I don't think they have ever really helped anyone find anything. The "Nautical and Wreck Charts Officially Published" are detailed - these were a primary source for F.L. Coffman's Atlas of Treasure Maps and they have useful information.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have the 1964 edition.

map.JPG

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Bookaroo I contacted the Library of Congress and tried to get photocopied of some of the maps. They replied and said I had to get copyright permission and then said their photocopy machine was broken. The only way to get copies is to visit there in person. Congress can put a man on the moon but can't keep a copy machine running!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

Perhaps you caught someone on a bad day. Over many years I've found the research folks at the LofC - and most everyone else - to be quite helpful.

Maybe this link will assist you:

Reproductions of Library of Congress Cartographic Material (Geography and Map Reading Room, Library of Congress)

If you don't get someone who is cooperative, wait a day or so and just try again. Or, contact the local office of your member of the US Congress. They can open so DC doors for you!

Years ago the late Phillip Burton got the US Senate to release to me some unpublished information on the US Army payroll that went down with the Brother Jonathan. Some $180,000 neatly packed in a "chest or iron box." Too bad it was in paper money...

View attachment 1189893

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
Old Bookaroo I contacted the Library of Congress and tried to get photocopied of some of the maps. They replied and said I had to get copyright permission and then said their photocopy machine was broken. The only way to get copies is to visit there in person. Congress can put a man on the moon but can't keep a copy machine running!
'Once upon a time' there was a congress that could put a man on the moon. Today, we will be lucky if they can even wipe themselves.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A great many maps are available to view and download:

Map Collections Home Page

I'm working on a piece about Henry O. Flipper and "lost mines" in Mexico - I found a nifty map of Sonora that shows the area he wrote about.

Here's another very nice collection of on-line maps. I was looking into the Silver Madonna yarn and found an excellent period map.

http://maps.bpl.org/

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread