Like a walk on the beach

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
A good bunch of lithics (not shown)
-A small Rhyolite Stemmed Point with tapered shoulders (Maybe a Neville Variant)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637244.156266.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637262.803854.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637274.193928.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637291.709690.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637416.487298.jpg

A broken Rhyolite Levanna Triangle
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637467.243001.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637480.850843.jpg

A cool High Grade Marblehead Rhyolite pressure flake
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637615.317546.jpg

A nice Jasper Flake
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1623637653.091452.jpg

Upvote 0

Hunting_Dad

Mar 25, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I believe that is a Snook Kill point(knife). Did you also mean percussion flake? The striking platform, percussion bulb and curvature are all pretty clear in the photo and indicative of a percussion flake. That Levanna would have been sweet...

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that is a Snook Kill point(knife). Did you also mean percussion flake? The striking platform, percussion bulb and curvature are all pretty clear in the photo and indicative of a percussion flake. That Levanna would have been sweet...

That?s a good call.
I believe Snook Kill would fit well. The reference we have is the Atlantic Phase Blade, which is related. So, you would be correct. The Asymmetrical blade is consistent. The size of the point is somewhat small for those types and the contracting stem is confusing. I don?t believe resharpening would have reduced the stem that way. It could have started out small.

I found that flake in an area that turns up a good number of Levanna Triangles. Would you say that a delicate flake like that could have been created using indirect percussion? That Rhyolite is hard.

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
You find a lot of marbled rhoylite in your area.
That levanna would have been sick and I like the full one too.
Japer?!
That's timely in reference to charls post.
That's awesome.

It?s interesting that you noted the abundance of Marblehead Rhyolite in my surface finds. I once thought quartz was the predominant lithic used in my area. And throughout the archeological record, it may have been.

But lately, I?ve taken more time in a specific area and have found a very strong presence of the Levanna People. It seems they preferred high quality Marblehead Rhyolite over other lithic materials (perhaps 10 to 1) to create those beautiful Triangles.

Yes that little flake is Jasper. I find them to be rare and so, always a little more special.

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff! I wish our beaches were more like yours! We find points and large teeth in streams 30 miles inland but I have never found a point on the beach?

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Good stuff! I wish our beaches were more like yours! We find points and large teeth in streams 30 miles inland but I have never found a point on the beach?

I hear you. I bought a megalodon tooth (Ebay) that was found in SC. It?s not the biggest, but it?s a killer.

I always thought that the large created lakes in SC would turn up some points. I know there?s a lot of quartz points down there. They?re easy to spot in that red-clay dirt that sticks to everything. I have visited family members living there. So many vast residential and commercial developments. I found a quartz Guilford Stemmed and a small Morrow Mountain point. Gave them to the kids though.

Regarding the beach. An area would have to have some natural protective feature (like an estuary or bay-inlet) for it to see prolonged NA use. Anything left unprotected against the open ocean is vulnerable to the violence of our historic storms.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good walk Mucker. That triangle would have been a beauty. Still is actually.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Your focus on Metal mostly or NA artifacts?

Last several years the colonial cellar hole metal detecting bug has gotten me good. Prior to that, NA artifact hunting was my vice of choice for many years. Every once in a while they merge. I detected a beautiful copper culture point once and do on occasion stumble upon a stray point on the surface while swinging the coil in a field. But the lure of the hunting for NA artifacts has not left me yet. Maybe when I retire in a few years I will have time to do both.

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Last several years the colonial cellar hole metal detecting bug has gotten me good. Prior to that, NA artifact hunting was my vice of choice for many years. Every once in a while they merge. I detected a beautiful copper culture point once and do on occasion stumble upon a stray point on the surface while swinging the coil in a field. But the lure of the hunting for NA artifacts has not left me yet. Maybe when I retire in a few years I will have time to do both.

If you see a surface hunter on the trail ahead of you, stop him and say hello. It just might be me.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right, some of the lakes on the Savannah are productive in some spots when the water is down. I found points where the Hartwell dam is now when I was a kid. The savannah itself has places where you can still see the remains of the old fish traps.
I hear you. I bought a megalodon tooth (Ebay) that was found in SC. It?s not the biggest, but it?s a killer.

I always thought that the large created lakes in SC would turn up some points. I know there?s a lot of quartz points down there. They?re easy to spot in that red-clay dirt that sticks to everything. I have visited family members living there. So many vast residential and commercial developments. I found a quartz Guilford Stemmed and a small Morrow Mountain point. Gave them to the kids though.

Regarding the beach. An area would have to have some natural protective feature (like an estuary or bay-inlet) for it to see prolonged NA use. Anything left unprotected against the open ocean is vulnerable to the violence of our historic storms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread