bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a recent post that if you don hit a like and collect likes numbers your looked down on
is this true, never thought about it
I'm not here to make points or accolades
I get plenty of likes and never thought about it but certainly appreciate it
In fact, I don't know how to do it
for the record, I don't reply just to get my numbers up, like many other members do , no foolish posts, just straight one off opinion
I only reply if I have an intelligent reply
I guess this could be looked at as a rant - sorry
Curious to see if I see a response
IMO
Brady

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"looked down on"?!?!? Geez, if that's the case, I'm in the wrong place!

Sure, it's nice to get likes. But in order to do so, you first have to make a post that someone actually likes. That may mean an awesome photo, a great story or, as is common with me, a witty remark.

In my mind, the 'like' button is simply a way of letting others know when you post something good. So, the more likes you have, the more worthwhile your posts tend to be in general, and the more people tend to read your posts....I would say. For me there are certain people who I notice I click the like button quite often. So when I see they have a new post, I'm inclined to read it. Has nothing to do with whether I like the person or not as all I know is what I know from here. Me? I'm a butthole in real life!! ...Just ask the wife! :tongue3: But I must be doing "something" right, as there have been many posts that have either entertained, humored, educated, or just somehow hit home with many folks. And I don't even swing an MD (too hard on this broken body). I just do my best to write honestly and openly, and to try and help others where I can. For me, the 'likes' are just a way to gauge how well I'm accomplishing that task. Don't get me wrong - newbies usually don't have a clue about the like button - and I spend a great deal of time greeting newbies as well as trying to answer their "What Is It?" riddles.

...You've been a member since 2007 and made nearly 2,000 posts, but you don't know how to 'like' a post? I've noticed that this was added at some point over the years and did not exist when you started here. But really, it's simple. If you see a post that catches your eye or is well-written and educational or is an MD (or other) find that you find pleasing, just click on the little word in the lower right of the post that you 'like'. Very easy. ....And if THAT'S a rant, then I must be one of the most ranty folks here! :tongue3:

...And yes, I really do like your post. :icon_biggrin:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No... but it does not count correctly? I have had so many likes that never show up in the count??

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brady, you just keep doing what you are doing, just be you. I use the Like button (which you will see in the lower right corner of my post) to show that I read the post and like what they found or their opinion, to show support. Like is a positive term, I'm glad there isn't a hate or dislike button, there's already way too much of that in life. I comment on many posts per day, and thouroughly enjoy this community.

When I started coming to this site back in 2013 I used it to my advantage by searching posts to gain the knowledge and opinions necessary for me to make decisions on upgrades, options, & tools of the trade, etc and to become a better detectorist. I never posted, just searched threads for the info I was interested in. Many would have titled me a "Lurker".

Once I started to dig, I also began to read the "Today's Finds" forum. There are so many cool items, historic relics. and other treasures being uncovered daily by others that I began to make comments on many and always gave a like to a majority of the posts I reviewed.

A visit to Tnet is like opening a window into a great community (I do not see it as a mere web site). I gravitate more to those who post their finds and also comment on other's posts.

Here is a related post from last year. Many participated in the post

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/481878-i-enlightened-evening-7.html

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Loco-Digger..... You have more likes then posts!!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What can I say? :dontknow: I must be a likeable guy. :tongue3:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit the like (it's on the lower right of your post, written in RED) sometimes to let someone know that I've responded to their post.

It will show up in the top bar in Notifications. That way it directs their attention back to that specific post.

If you like talk to teenagers like every forth word is like. But like, it's a different kind of like.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you can unlike your like too, well not unlike your like but unlike the post, that you liked.... take back if you will. That just adds to the confusion...... For those that are confused.......,

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
And you can unlike your like too, well not unlike your like but unlike the post, that you liked.... take back if you will. That just adds to the confusion...... For those that are confused.......,

I don't have anything else to do tonight so I'll like your post on the hour and unlike it on the half hour.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My "likes" magically appear like "Lucky Charms." I give them out like peanut M&Ms, grudgingly. :skullflag: :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never looked at or paid attention to other people's "like" counts. All that matters to me is my own, so please "like" this post. Thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, you should have been around in the old days before we had "likes".

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS!!

....I think I like that. :toothy4: laughing hysterically.gif

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a recent post that if you don hit a like and collect likes numbers your looked down on
is this true, never thought about it
I'm not here to make points or accolades
I get plenty of likes and never thought about it but certainly appreciate it
In fact, I don't know how to do it
for the record, I don't reply just to get my numbers up, like many other members do , no foolish posts, just straight one off opinion
I only reply if I have an intelligent reply
I guess this could be looked at as a rant - sorry
Curious to see if I see a response
IMO
Brady

I gave you a like just because I can. Since I am relatively new and need lots of popular likes, can you like my post as well.:laughing7::icon_king:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave you a like just because I can. Since I am relatively new and need lots of popular likes, can you like my post as well.:laughing7::icon_king:

Sorry, not me. If I give a 'like', it's because I genuinely liked, appreciated and/or learned from the post.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read all this and realized a lot. I had no idea about "notifications" until I read this thread. Went and checked, realized I had private messages there but I couldn't figure out how in the heck to access them in order to read or reply to them. Does one have to be a computer engineer? ,In addition, I saw that I have a friend "pending" my acceptance. I couldn't figure out how to "allow" him to become a "friend." Dead-gum it! Then I noticed I have more posts than likes!
Thanks to this thread, I've learned two things: I'm technically stupid and not popular at all! But, suddenly, I realized I'm kinda old and don't care! But it was funny to feel briefly that I was back in junior high!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread