List of uMax detectors

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero ; Discovery TF-900
I was just wondering if anyone can supply a definitive list of uMax Detectors. I just want to know for the purposes of coil matching. Thanks.

I know the H.O.T. detectors are:
Cibola
Vaquero
Lobo Supertraq
Tejon

I know the uMax detectors are:
Silver uMax
Golden uMax
....? others

Non H.O.T and Non-uMax detectors:
Compadre???
What is the Toltec and some others that are still hanging out as far as coils go? Can they use uMax stuff?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get all the information you want from the Tesoro site. The Toltec was an older Tesoro model. Reasons why you can't use different coils on another detector even if the pins match up is the coils are calibrated for each model of the same brand for best efficiency.

OP
OP
hugepossum

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I went to the Tesoro site (and there is definitely a lot of information spread out around the site), but I still didn't see a place where they had a simple list. Something like this:

THESE ARE THE UMAX DETECTORS:
List of detectors

Which is what I am looking for, and think would be useful to others. I know that there are a plethora of Tesoro lovers who basically have their entire model lineup memorized, so I am just waiting for one of them to see this...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel it would be helpful, why don't you go to the Tesoro manuals section and compile the list? They all have µMAX right beside the names of the ones you want.

OP
OP
hugepossum

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GibH said:
If you feel it would be helpful, why don't you go to the Tesoro manuals section and compile the list? They all have µMAX right beside the names of the ones you want.
You are correct in the fact that they have a nice list of all the detector names in the manual section.

I believe that you are incorrect in the matter of "they all have µMAX right beside the names of the ones you want". For instance, Lobo does not have that designation, but I believe it to be a µMAX detector. Right on most counts, though.

Here is the list of names in case someone wants to look without navigating to the Tesoro site. The manuals do not appear to explicitly say if the detector is HOT, µMAX, or other.

Current Lineup:
Cibola
Compadre
Cortes
DeLeon
Golden µMAX
Lobo SuperTRAQ
Sand Shark
Silver µMAX
Tejon
Tiger Shark
Vaquero

Older Detectors:
Amigo
Amigo II
Aztec
Bandido
Bandido II
Bandido II µMAX
Conquistador
Conquistador µMAX
Cortés
Cutlass
Cutlass II
Cutlass II µMAX
Deep Search IV
Deep Search VI
Deep Search VII
Diablo
Diablo II
Eldorado
Euro Sabre
Golden Sabre
Golden Sabre II
Golden Sabre Plus
Inca
Lobo
Mayan
Pantera
Piranha
Royal Sabre Plus
Sidewinder
Silver Sabre
Silver Sabre II
Silver Sabre Plus
Silver Sabre µMAX
Stingray
Stingray II
Toltec 100
Toltec 80
Toltec II
µMAX Bandido
µMAX Cutlass
µMAX Diablo
µMAX Sidewinder

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Call Tesoro tell them what umax you have and they will tell you what coil fits it......

OP
OP
hugepossum

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Keppy said:
Call Tesoro tell them what umax you have and they will tell you what coil fits it......
Lol, actually I have the reverse problem. Finally found a 3x18 coil, but it is for uMax detectors. I just was looking for a list so I can cross check any detectors that I may come across to be sure that they will work with the coil.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
If you are looking for the 3"x18" - Tesoro makes one in a 4-pin (Tejon/Vaquero/Cibola/LoboSuperTraq) and one in a 5-pin (Silver uMax/Golden uMax/DeLeon/Cortes/Eldorado uMax/Bandito II uMax/etc.,etc.).

The "definitive" list of uMax machines are: Conquistador uMax, Eldorado uMax, Bandito II uMax, Cutlass II uMax, Silver Sabre uMax, µMAX Bandido, µMAX Cutlass, µMAX Diablo, µMAX Sidewinder and technically the Compadre (although you cannot change coils). The "uMax" designation (also known as the "MicroMax") is basically the control housing - small, lightweight plastic instead of the heavier "under the shaft" design of the "older models. I did not include the European versions of any uMax models but I beleive this has them all covered.

I would say that if you have any technical questions about what fits what - give them a call. I will forever be a Tesoro user not just because of the quality and the capabilities of their detectors, but also because their customer service is second to none.

Tesoro's # 1-928-771-2646

Hope this helps you out... :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
DD-777 said:
If you are looking for the 3"x18" - Tesoro makes one in a 4-pin (Tejon/Vaquero/Cibola/LoboSuperTraq) and one in a 5-pin (Silver uMax/Golden uMax/DeLeon/Cortes/Eldorado uMax/Bandito II uMax/etc.,etc.).

The "definitive" list of uMax machines are: Conquistador uMax, Eldorado uMax, Bandito II uMax, Cutlass II uMax, Silver Sabre uMax, µMAX Bandido, µMAX Cutlass, µMAX Diablo, µMAX Sidewinder and technically the Compadre (although you cannot change coils). The "uMax" designation (also known as the "MicroMax") is basically the control housing - small, lightweight plastic instead of the heavier "under the shaft" design of the "older models. I did not include the European versions of any uMax models but I beleive this has them all covered.

I would say that if you have any technical questions about what fits what - give them a call. I will forever be a Tesoro user not just because of the quality and the capabilities of their detectors, but also because their customer service is second to none.

Tesoro's # 1-928-771-2646

Hope this helps you out... :icon_thumright:
I agree for those type of questions call Tesoro and get the right answer the first time......... That is what i do and a lot on here do......

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
how long has it been since tesoro brought out a new machine ?
it must be quite a long time compared with other machine makers .
dont they have the leading edge design engineers ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bingbong said:

Ever hear of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" They are already leading edge and are hampered only by the FCC in the amount of power they can put through the circuits. If you want crazy colors on the boxes or screens that lie to you, buy the others. All that great customer service for life costs money too not just for the orginal owner but for the onces that bought a Tesoro in a pawn shop.

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
i did ,a DEUS and a T2 which are far superior on depth and discrimination than my silver umax.
the DUES is also very light and state of the art and leaves Tesoro in the dust ,for relics ,but its ok for coinshooting which is ok for the US market .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bingbong said:

This is actually a great question BB! The Company's approach goes agains the grain - especially to folks like me who are heavy into marketing and sales. Tesoro quietly upgrades its technology, incorporating it into existing product lines. The Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, is one good example (first released in the early 1990s, then upgraded in 2006'?'), but there are others, Stingray and Stingray II in the 1990s, and the latest upgrades to the Sand Shark and Tiger Shark. Another thing Tesoro does, is back its machines with both - a Lifetime warranty AND support. They don't need you to buy the "latest and greatest" every two-years, because they are doing their best to put next year's technology in your hands right now, and trying their best to keep you as a lifetime customer :notworthy:

Strange buggers those Giffords! :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bingbong said:
i did ,a DEUS and a T2 which are far superior on depth and discrimination than my silver umax.
the DUES is also very light and state of the art and leaves Tesoro in the dust ,for relics ,but its ok for coinshooting which is ok for the US market .

:laughing9: :laughing9: I'm sorry. :dontknow: I just couldn't stop laughing.. :laughing7:

bingbong

Jun 23, 2011
london UK
look at the facts ,in the UK ,Tesoro machines are now rarely seen at UK detector rallies ,they have been overhauled by other brands ,the Lobo and the Tejon are considered unsuitable for UK soils .Tesoro dont have any wireless headphones,maybe its too high tech for them to make some . :laughing7:
they are great light coinshooters but are now long in the tooth . :sign13:
that means their top of range machines wont sell well to knowledgeable UK buyers and their other models are long in the tooth.
the new Whites Vx3 looks good and that has a good spec with wireless headphones.
headphones with wires for detectorists should have been consigned to the museum long ago,they are a pain in the neck when bending down to dig. :headbang:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bingbong said:
look at the facts ,in the UK ,Tesoro machines are now rarely seen at UK detector rallies ,they have been overhauled by other brands ,the Lobo and the Tejon are considered unsuitable for UK soils .Tesoro dont have any wireless headphones,maybe its too high tech for them to make some . :laughing7:
they are great light coinshooters but are now long in the tooth . :sign13:
that means their top of range machines wont sell well to knowledgeable UK buyers and their other models are long in the tooth.
the new Whites Vx3 looks good and that has a good spec with wireless headphones.
headphones with wires for detectorists should have been consigned to the museum long ago,they are a pain in the neck when bending down to dig. :headbang:

Well Bing, I guess we will just have to disagree on this issue. I have been detecting since 1977. I've swung almost every major brand, and quite a few lesser and home-built detectors. If you limit yourself to any one type or brand of detector, you only cheat yourself. A golfer doesn't have one or two clubs in their bag, they have a dozen or more. If looking good and sporting wireless headphones is your thing, then I think Whites is your company Bong. They come out with re-worked "cool" every six-months. LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread