lite weight dry washer

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
so my crazy drywasher is get harder to move after i set it up.so iam thinking of making a small lite weight one using pvc and a 12volt motor with a offset weighted fan,so i can do some testing,will a 12volt motor work ok with a weighted fan.i just dont want to use a leaf blower.or handcrank.i also tried hauling buckets ,not for me
thanks get out there the weather is still great.
brad

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so my crazy drywasher is get harder to move after i set it up.so iam thinking of making a small lite weight one using pvc and a 12volt motor with a offset weighted fan,so i can do some testing,will a 12volt motor work ok with a weighted fan.i just dont want to use a leaf blower.or handcrank.i also tried hauling buckets ,not for me
thanks get out there the weather is still great.
brad

I bought a Thompson with the 12 v puffer hand crank combo. Its "light"

a 12 volt air driven unit is probably not a real option... your really asking is there a good battery powered leaf blower that will last long enough for me to actually process?

The answer is no. If your wanting real portability. And run Time.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
IMG_20190528_150510 (1).jpg i build this one,but hoping to build a small cheap one,just for sampling.thanks for the input.
brad

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The "Whippet guys" really seem to like their machines. I've always used a Thompson, weighs a bit more but at half price. The hand crank only model is especially lite.

If sampling only, the Garret Super Sluice (gold pan) actually can be quite effective for dry panning. I've been doing this more lately as a very quick technique to prospect so long as the material is powder dry. This used with a Falcon MD20 works quite well, just dry pan down to about a cup left in bottom of pan then run the Falcon over it. If there is so much a spec of gold in the pan the Falcon will sound off.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The "Whippet guys" really seem to like their machines. I've always used a Thompson, weighs a bit more but at half price. The hand crank only model is especially lite.

If sampling only, the Garret Super Sluice (gold pan) actually can be quite effective for dry panning. I've been doing this more lately as a very quick technique to prospect so long as the material is powder dry. This used with a Falcon MD20 works quite well, just dry pan down to about a cup left in bottom of pan then run the Falcon over it. If there is so much a spec of gold in the pan the Falcon will sound off.

I’m another Whippet guy who loves his machine. Helps that I didn’t have to pay for it!

I also agree on the Garrett Super Sluice. Best dry panning tool I’ve used.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1770129 i build this one,but hoping to build a small cheap one,just for sampling.thanks for the input.
brad

If it were mine I would add wheels and maybe power them with one or both of those large 12V motors already there.

GG~

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
we think alike.i have thought about that.but what is holding me back is getting it all in my suv.my dog said nothing goes in the back seat with her. iam not ready to get trailer yet.
thanks brad

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best dry panning technique I've found came from that You Tube prospecting channel; "ask Jeff Williams". He has a couple ways to do it, but my favorite utilizes the rim of a 5 gallon bucket to help maintain the right angle, consistent spill over the pan edge plus adds some vibration. When I get down to less than a cup (of material) in the pan, I just run my Falcon through it . But I've also dumped those cons into a tiny gold pan, added a bit of water from my canteen and swirled it down looking for color.
That guy Jeff Williams is a character but he knows his stuff.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best dry panning technique I've found came from that You Tube prospecting channel; "ask Jeff Williams". He has a couple ways to do it, but my favorite utilizes the rim of a 5 gallon bucket to help maintain the right angle, consistent spill over the pan edge plus adds some vibration. When I get down to less than a cup (of material) in the pan, I just run my Falcon through it . But I've also dumped those cons into a tiny gold pan, added a bit of water from my canteen and swirled it down looking for color.
That guy Jeff Williams is a character but he knows his stuff.

Jeff came to one of our club meetings (Mohave Prospectors Association) and brought another character "Nevada Jack" with him, put on quite a show and left us with some laughs and some good info.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
1637, I do in fact happen to have a small 12 volt blower and it works very well. Uses a small motor that draws about 7 amps into a 1950's heater blower fan. It has an handle on the back that is easily done with one hand. These were MFR's back in the early 60's at a Rock shop in what is now South Central Los Angeles and advertised in the California Mining Journal. The motor is mounted on thin aluminum so that it causes a nice vibration and the riffles are smaller than a normal drywasher. I refer to it as a "Dry Shaker Table" and is has a nice laminar flow to it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1637, I do in fact happen to have a small 12 volt blower and it works very well. Uses a small motor that draws about 7 amps into a 1950's heater blower fan. It has an handle on the back that is easily done with one hand. These were MFR's back in the early 60's at a Rock shop in what is now South Central Los Angeles and advertised in the California Mining Journal. The motor is mounted on thin aluminum so that it causes a nice vibration and the riffles are smaller than a normal drywasher. I refer to it as a "Dry Shaker Table" and is has a nice laminar flow to it.

It might be instructive to some DIYers if you were to post a couple of pictures of what you have just in case someone wants some different construction ideas.

Heavy pans.

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want a small lightweight drywasher how about one that fit's in a bucket & is less than 10 lbs , Take a look at my mini sampler , runs for 10 - 15 min. on one battery or hook up to a full size for all day use .

mini drywasher 001.JPG mini drywasher 004.JPG mini drywasher 005.JPG

mini drywasher 008.JPG mini drywasher 009.JPG

I have a short video but it is not good enough for u-tube

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks well thought out :)
I would upgrade that drill to one of the newer drills with the large battery power packs and then just take some spare batteries, plug and play, all day :)

https://www.whippetengineering.com/index.html

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminded me of a light weight one that I built 10 years ago out of plastic wastebaskets ...............

dw.jpg drywash2.jpg

GG~

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread