fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend invited me to hunt with him today at a site that has been hunted hard for several years. My first two signals were 42 and 44 wheat cents. Then nothing for about 3 hours. Finally I made it back to my truck, took a couple Tylenol and rested for a few minutes. My buddy was in a different field so I walked over and started to hunt. After finding a few round balls and a couple rim fire casings I started back to the truck. I got a small signal and dug a flower button. Then, I headed for my truck not really paying attention to what I was doing. Fact is, I was about wore out. Well, I have heard the "on the way back to the truck" story so many times but never thought it would happen to me. I got a strong signal but it was iffy. It seemed to be shallow so I dug a plug in the soft dirt and when I flipped it out it took me a few seconds to realize what was there. My buddy was about 30 feet away and I just said "Kevin, I have a buckle"
He came over and I dropped it in his hand. He said he thought a belt plate would come from this site but didn't think it would come from this field.
This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting.
20230107_173505.jpg
20230107_173540.jpg
20230107_190524.jpg
20230107_190841.jpg

Upvote 14

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend invited me to hunt with him today at a site that has been hunted hard for several years. My first two signals were 42 and 44 wheat cents. Then nothing for about 3 hours. Finally I made it back to my truck, took a couple Tylenol and rested for a few minutes. My buddy was in a different field so I walked over and started to hunt. After finding a few round balls and a couple rim fire casings I started back to the truck. I got a small signal and dug a flower button. Then, I headed for my truck not really paying attention to what I was doing. Fact is, I was about wore out. Well, I have heard the "on the way back to the truck" story so many times but never thought it would happen to me. I got a strong signal but it was iffy. It seemed to be shallow so I dug a plug in the soft dirt and when I flipped it out it took me a few seconds to realize what was there. My buddy was about 30 feet away and I just said "Kevin, I have a buckle"
He came over and I dropped it in his hand. He said he thought a belt plate would come from this site but didn't think it would come from this field.
This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting. View attachment 2063459 View attachment 2063460 View attachment 2063461 View attachment 2063462
A Banner find in my book , I'm truly happy for you .

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the Today's finds forum and it was correctly IDed as a Model 1809 US militia shoulder belt plate in use from 1812-1830.
Could it have been worn by a confederate soldier as a belt buckle is anyone's guess but given where it was found I would say it ia a good possibility.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome job Im glad you found that keep it up.

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting. View attachment 2063459 View attachment 2063460 View attachment 2063461 View attachment 2063462
You lucky dog! Lots of history there - history that you can touch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread