Live ammo in a schoolyard - notify the police or not?

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the things about living in an area that is "gentrifying" is that we find a TON of bullets and shell casings all over the place. This doesn't really alarm me, because they're always spent.

BUT, the other day, my son and I found these two live rounds of 9MM ammo less than an inch deep in the corner of the elementary school ballfield. At first I didn't think too much of it, but the more I've thought about it, it likely means that someone dumped more in that same spot, and that it is even potentially tied to a crime...I mean, after all, who just dumps perfectly good rounds of ammo in a schoolyard?

What do y'all think? Good idea to let the cops know or not?

IMG_3761.jpg

Upvote 7

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a lot rounds and even a few live ones in parks and school yards. Unless there was a crime there I would just throw them away. Probably some kids got a hold of them and showed their buddies then lost them along with their lunch money.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a lot rounds and even a few live ones in parks and school yards. Unless there was a crime there I would just throw them away. Probably some kids got a hold of them and showed their buddies then lost them along with their lunch money.
That sounds like what probably happened here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say anything to anybody about it unless you know for sure it would be evidence in a crime. I really don't want to get involved in a 3rd degree interview about what I was doing there, how I handled the ammo, etc, with some firearm ignorant bureaucrat. I rather stay off everyone's radar. Google the location regarding any possible police action. I find live rounds all the time. If they're real fresh and can still be used, I'll keep them if they fit something I own, or give them to someone I know who can use them. The rest I just pull the bullet out of the casing, empty the gun powder, and recycle the lead and brass.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find live ammo all the time in play ground and have been for over 20 years, bullets, they looked ground up , when they made the bark mulch, unless they are sitting on the ground, just keep them, they will have a swat team down there

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These bullets are obviously old, maybe decades. but even if new I woudl just haul them off.

Do not alert the school, they will just over react on the side of caution and lock the place down. The soccer moms will get involved and demand gun control and the police will ask a tome of question which have no answer.

Dont call the police. What would they possibly do? Unless there was a murder (and that is hard to do with a unfired bullet) then they will not take finger prints. Also see above freak out scenario.

Bullets alone are pretty harmless. If you found a pile of fresh fired brass or an actual gun, that is different.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many types over the years, including parks and schoolgrounds. I never say anything to anyone, no point really, most are under the grass roots anyway. I do carry a couple of live dug rounds in my pouch, because IF I am asked about the detecting, as has happened, I show them the live ammo, and they leave me alone, and wish me well and hope I find something good. The largest was a fresh 12 gauge on top the ground in a park, the park guy there cutting the grass welcomes detector people now, he waves.

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holy crap all, in the world we live in right now, I am so refreshed to hear somebody, nah, everyone here, using common sense. These were obviously brought by a child to show off. Taking any measures on a round that has clearly been there a while would be an overreaction. I am so happy I belong to a group that can think!

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they are probably not live anymore. doesnt take much for water or moisture to penetrate the shell casing and foul the gun powder. i wouldnt worry or think to much into it. and like others said, those rounds have been burried for a while by the looks of it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also add, I have kept them all, displayed for a "show & tell" type of thing out in my "Fort". everything from 22 shorts to 30 06 and older odd cal's. along with 44 mag's, 9mm etc. etc. etc. Kind of a community service, just like taking out all trash targets I dig in my small plastic bucket. You know, when my wife gets home soon, I'll need to remind her of what a really nice guy I am.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't want to get involved in a 3rd degree interview about what I was doing there, how I handled the ammo, etc, with some firearm ignorant bureaucrat. I rather stay off everyone's radar.
^ I think this is wise. Thanks.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion it would be a complete waste of time, breath, and effort to tell the school or police about them. They've been there for some time, likely a couple of years at least based on the coloration. The school would likely over react and the cops would probably just roll their eyes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread