Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to write something for all you people who still have older relatives. My parents were born in the early 1900's. They, along with aunts and uncles, lived through many of the historicsl events which many of us later learned about in school. Many historical figures were still alive when my parents were young.
I am fortunate to have a CW sword which belonged to a lieutenannt who died in 1908 a few months before my father was born.
My father used to tell of Pretty Boy Floyd stopping in a small town and buying new shoes for a barefoot boy he noticed while there.
My parents used the currency and artifacts which many of us now seek and treasure.
Sometimes we kids would find some odd contraption and my parents would casually identify it, such as an old iron tire patch device or a tool for a Model T.
The thing is you may know old people who could give you so much history while they are here.
I had a brother who was a total James Dean Rebel type. He got started as a trucker when he was picking watermelons in Rocky Ford and a boss pointed at some big truck and asked him if he could drive it. My brother said yes, athough he was lying to be honest, and climbed in and figured it out. He later went to Vietnam and was a forward observer.
He was restless and trucking kept him moving. He once nearly killed a guy he caught breaking into his truck one night. He traded cars on a near monthly basis. When he died at 42 from cancer I realized something. Everything he had seen and experienced was lost. I never really got to spend that much time with him because he was always on the move.
Every human is like a precious one of a kind book.When that book is gone there is no chance of retrieval and there is no other copy.
I am suggesting you talk to the older people you know. Talk to your parents, grandparents, great aunrs and uncles. Heck talk to some of the dinosaurs on this site. Record the conversations if allowed because I guarantee details will slip your mind.
I just wanted to remind people we have living history books among us and we should use them.
Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said, HP. I don't know your age, and I'm not asking, but when one leaves the workplace, social activities drop way off, makes it harder to keep one's yarns crisp and believable. I don't mind sharing a story or two, but people are busy, got to check the next item off their list. Thanks for the post.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to write something for all you people who still have older relatives. My parents were born in the early 1900's. They, along with aunts and uncles, lived through many of the historicsl events which many of us later learned about in school. Many historical figures were still alive when my parents were young.
I am fortunate to have a CW sword which belonged to a lieutenannt who died in 1908 a few months before my father was born.
My father used to tell of Pretty Boy Floyd stopping in a small town and buying new shoes for a barefoot boy he noticed while there.
My parents used the currency and artifacts which many of us now seek and treasure.
Sometimes we kids would find some odd contraption and my parents would casually identify it, such as an old iron tire patch device or a tool for a Model T.
The thing is you may know old people who could give you so much history while they are here.
I had a brother who was a total James Dean Rebel type. He got started as a trucker when he was picking watermelons in Rocky Ford and a boss pointed at some big truck and asked him if he could drive it. My brother said yes, athough he was lying to be honest, and climbed in and figured it out. He later went to Vietnam and was a forward observer.
He was restless and trucking kept him moving. He once nearly killed a guy he caught breaking into his truck one night. He traded cars on a near monthly basis. When he died at 42 from cancer I realized something. Everything he had seen and experienced was lost. I never really got to spend that much time with him because he was always on the move.
Every human is like a precious one of a kind book.When that book is gone there is no chance of retrieval and there is no other copy.
I am suggesting you talk to the older people you know. Talk to your parents, grandparents, great aunrs and uncles. Heck talk to some of the dinosaurs on this site. Record the conversations if allowed because I guarantee details will slip your mind.
I just wanted to remind people we have living history books among us and we should use them.
Sorry for the long post!

GREAT POST HBP! Older folks Are A Treasure To Be Honored and Respected.

My ancestors documented a lot in writing and photographs but were always willing and wanting to talk about not only their lives but those of their ancestors...I feel Very Blessed to have a family like mine.

Thanks For Posting This HBP!

Kace

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, HP. I don't know your age, and I'm not asking, but when one leaves the workplace, social activities drop way off, makes it harder to keep one's yarns crisp and believable. I don't mind sharing a story or two, but people are busy, got to check the next item off their list. Thanks for the post.

That is true. I was one of nine children and next to last. I guess I am not considered old and you probably know you never feel as old as others treat you.
I picked up a lot from being around my parents but I see now how much more there was to be had. But I was young and had other things on my mind.
Youth is truly wasted on the young, as someone said.
It isn't easy to be around old folks. We kept my mom at home almost to the end. There is nothing as heartbreaking as seeing the aged left in nursing homes with few to no one coming to see them. I could not work in such a place because I would stay depressed.
When I was young and saw an old person working their way slowly down an aisle I never believed that was going to be me one day.
But I see now it is coming way too fast.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT POST HBP! Older folks Are A Treasure To Be Honored and Respected.

My ancestors documented a lot in writing and photographs but were always willing and wanting to talk about not only their lives but those of their ancestors...I feel Very Blessed to have a family like mine.

Thanks For Posting This HBP!

Kace

You are welcome! And you really are blessed :) I have letters, photos and writings but I no longer have that old generation.
I have been feeling that loss a lot and knowing the interests of people here I thought it might be helpful to mention this.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So many truths in what you've said HP. When I was a young buck, many times I would come home late at night to find my Dad up and wanting to talk, He would sometimes get into personal experiences during his time in Europe and elsewhere during WW2 (never combat stories, he would not tell those). I cherished those conversations even then, but I guess I thought the book would always be there. I realized later that I should have been writing or recording. The book closed on May 25, 1996.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many truths in what you've said HP. When I was a young buck, many times I would come home late at night to find my Dad up and wanting to talk, He would sometimes get into personal experiences during his time in Europe and elsewhere during WW2 (never combat stories, he would not tell those). I cherished those conversations even then, but I guess I thought the book would always be there. I realized later that I should have been writing or recording. The book closed on May 25, 1996.

It was great you had those times with him. Bet he truly apppreciated it :)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great wife 2 kids Im am the luckiedt person on the planet. thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the youngest and have 3 brothers and a sister haven't seen in over 15 years till recently 2 of my older brothers have passed away I always thought there was time. I have ! brother and 1 sister left and I try to find time to get together.ad died when he was 47 a Doctor Mom died young also . Lots of loss in my life . We do choose our own path but who chooses when to take away the bridges and light that guides you . Is this a blessing or a test or a curse I struggle, I am a good person very caring and honest I am a book in the lost and found at the library I love to hear peoples stories and insights and always will Tommy

You really have had some loss. For me I admit I have had moments I felt cursed. But I can't think any force could actually act upon people so unless you choose to believe it. Blessings may be another thing-take them where you find them :)
Your losses have shaped you no doubt. Probably made you a better person than a lot of folks because of your trials.
I think things happen for a reason but there is nothing mysterious about those reasons. Life is just what it is to me usually. Still, life can seem like a trial at times.
I like what you said about bridges and light. Very well put.
It is good you still have a brother and sister to visit and appreciate.
I hope you have people in "real life", as we used to say on the internet, to talk to about things which matter to you. That is really important.
If you like to read there is a book called Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It is not a short novel but it is one of my favorite books with a lot of insight. A story of a guy trying to sort out life. But if you get a copy it might have the tacked on last chapter where everything is rainbows and puppies.
Maugham's editor suggested it because he feared the public would find the real ending of the book too pessimistic.
He was absolutely wrong of course.
*obviously I need to find some more people to talk to, judging by these long posts:)*

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread