Location of Shady Rest (williamson co.)

Captain J

Greenie
Jul 7, 2008
I have reason to believe this land may remain untouched. (hopfull)...The circled part in EdleBrocks map above is just a bit to far to the east.

If you look at the arial from 1930's you can easily see the 2 southward (the shady rest was suposedly on one) dips in old rte 13.

Go to # 59 here:
http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/nsdihome/webdocs/ilhap/county/williamson.html
The linked numbers are askew, but I'm sure that's the right one.

Now cross reff that with google satt maps. The more westward bend in the road (where it is now called ranch lane. near the intersection of crab orchard road,) is clearly the same as it was in the 30's. Hopefully, this is the location.

The easterly bend in the road (where the road name changes to shady rest road) may have been disturbed, but hopfully the building was close enough to the road that the site is untouched. Not as hopefull as the 1st location, but worth a look.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Hey CaptainJ,

This is a great story. Hope you get a chance to go look for it. BTW, Google Earth has a lot better resolution for that area now. I can see exactly what you are talking about.

Hope you make it and at least find a foundation.

Good luck,

Jim

gunner89

May 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to kick up dust on an old thread, but I was wondering if anybody has found where the shady rest was.

Bkn74

Greenie
Dec 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1482671495213-1395716997.jpg
I don't show a shady rest but I'll gladly share any of these locations with you if you need them.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story lead nonetheless than for sharing & welcome Bkn 74..

Bkn74

Greenie
Dec 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That book is ghost towns of southern il by Glenn sneed. It's awesome and pretty accurate from what I've found so far. Good luck finding a copy though

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That book is ghost towns of southern il by Glenn sneed. It's awesome and pretty accurate from what I've found so far. Good luck finding a copy though

The Amazon price on that book is very high now. I am glad I bought a few before they went through the roof.

sstar81

Sep 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been researching it myself, I have family that lives around the area. I just learned about the Shady Rest recently. It's a long story but a friend of mine had a grandpa that was a bootlegger and would meet up with the Birger gang. She thought it was near Galatia I'm thinking it was the Shady Rest. She past Thursday so I can't get anymore information. I was seeking information from her because I think my grandpa and her grandpa may have known each other. My grandpa was from Thompsonville and hers Galatia. I'm hoping to go down there this summer. When I have some places I'm going to detect. There were many gangs and a lot of bootlegging going on around Southern Illinois.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions