Long Island Gold Coast Detector Finds plus History

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For nearly ten years, beginning in the mid-1980's, I managed and lived on a large 93 acre former Gold Coast Estate on the northern shore of Long Island. I only toyed around with a White's Coinmaster not being dedicated to the hobby. I now realize it was a tremendous opportunity lost. One of the first houses in the region (1600's) was walking distance away, the British had a small Fort nearby during the Revolutionary War, then the history of the Roaring 20's. Native American artifacts oozing out of the ground from shell midden piles. Here are a couple finds I still have. If you look at the attached article you will see the owners of this property on their larger Georgia estate, Long Island being their summer home. Marshall Field, founder of the department store chain, had a nearby mansion and the same love of horses and hunting dogs. The very horses you see in these vintage photos and the bird hunting dog which wore this license might be seen. Plus a gold-plated golf tee rounds out a Gentleman sportsman time capsule. The Home Rule free Ireland pipe most likely pre-dates the Livingston family to an Irish-American owner or was a worker. I enjoy seeing finds come to life through archival materials.

tres67.jpg tres68.jpg arch1.jpg

https://dixieplantation.org/index.php/history/

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A misspell on the Livingston name (could have run out place slots), but a direct link to their beloved pointers in my hand.

tres69.jpg

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
In the late 1970's a fifth grade teacher at Boyle Rd Elementary School (Port Jefferson) named Mrs Hopkins (that's all I remember) still lived on her ancestor's ca. year 1645 beach home on Mt Sanai, Long Island.
That's 6 or seven very complete generations.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. I like the dog tag and the horse show piece.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Djreversal

Greenie
Jun 6, 2020
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice... i live in bohemia on long island and i am just looking into getting into the hobby... trying to do some research of where i can go explore without too many headaches.

Goldcraz

Greenie
Apr 30, 2020
Penhook va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I'm also from sound beach long island and getting into the hobby. Really cool to hear about some local history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread