Long Time No Post: Finds Highlights

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was posting frequently here then got lazy. Time to see what fellow members have been finding and share some recent finds. I have been getting out detecting the woods for those elusive colonials. Have been finding lots of musket balls, fish net sinkers, horse shoes, square nails, tools, door hardware and similar iron stuff. Was happy to find the KGII halfpence and 1798 Draped Bust.

I usually only search for colonial artifacts. My area dates to 1650's. I will go long days without finding anything. No matter, I love the exercise and hiking in the woods. I pack lunch and make a day of it. When I do find something I treasure it. Most items I photograph and leave where I found them.

So this 1970 High School class ring really threw me off. It was inevitable that I would eventually find one of these pocket sinkers from someone who lost one camping, fishing, clamming, hunting, or swimming. It's from Long Island Lutheran, a prep school in Nassau County. The school has turned out 8 men's and 4 women's NY State basketball champion teams (one year they took both titles which has never been done before) and several future NBA players. I never was one to wear jewelry, but this ring is exactly my size and the school was founded in the year of my birth. I've taken a liking to it. I did contact the school's alumni website and they are searching for the owner as it has three initials etched.

I have made some interesting nature finds out detecting. This spring near a swamp I stumbled upon two black racer snakes mating. Came over a wooded rise and nearly put the coil on their coils. They were co-joined in the act and couldn't separate so the both of them spooled out over 12" in combined length! We don't have any poisonous snakes here but these are impressive snakes. They are around but quietly slink off when they hear you. In the attached photo you will notice the tail overlap then the line keeps going along the second.

A few weeks ago I spotted a coyote. I was quietly standing on a wooded ridge line and it nearly ran up to me. Apparently we only have four known in my area. Right in an area where I found a beautiful Machin's Mill Halfpence last year.

This weekend I finally broke the ears off of my stock 11" coil on the Nox 800. Sunday I spent the day with my 15" coil (aka the "Toilet Seat Lid" or "Bob's Big Boy") and felt it the following day! Sent for the warranty repair request tonight. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• tres245.jpg
    tres245.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 118
  • tres246.jpg
    tres246.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 54
  • tres248.jpg
    tres248.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some recent finds

Attachments

• tres247.jpg
    tres247.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 37

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Those coins look nice, little worn but still look great.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial coins are almost always extremely worn out here on eastern Long Island, NY. Settlement was small rural fishing\farming and people relied on the barter or ledger system of trade. Those are classic examples of what I typically find. I find mostly worn KGII halfpence although my oldest are 1723 KGI and a 1722 Rosa Americana.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was posting frequently here then got lazy. Time to see what fellow members have been finding and share some recent finds. I have been getting out detecting the woods for those elusive colonials. Have been finding lots of musket balls, fish net sinkers, horse shoes, square nails, tools, door hardware and similar iron stuff. Was happy to find the KGII halfpence and 1798 Draped Bust.

I usually only search for colonial artifacts. My area dates to 1650's. I will go long days without finding anything. No matter, I love the exercise and hiking in the woods. I pack lunch and make a day of it. When I do find something I treasure it. Most items I photograph and leave where I found them.

So this 1970 High School class ring really threw me off. It was inevitable that I would eventually find one of these pocket sinkers from someone who lost one camping, fishing, clamming, hunting, or swimming. It's from Long Island Lutheran, a prep school in Nassau County. The school has turned out 8 men's and 4 women's NY State basketball champion teams (one year they took both titles which has never been done before) and several future NBA players. I never was one to wear jewelry, but this ring is exactly my size and the school was founded in the year of my birth. I've taken a liking to it. I did contact the school's alumni website and they are searching for the owner as it has three initials etched.

I have made some interesting nature finds out detecting. This spring near a swamp I stumbled upon two black racer snakes mating. Came over a wooded rise and nearly put the coil on their coils. They were co-joined in the act and couldn't separate so the both of them spooled out over 12" in combined length! We don't have any poisonous snakes here but these are impressive snakes. They are around but quietly slink off when they hear you. In the attached photo you will notice the tail overlap then the line keeps going along the second.

A few weeks ago I spotted a coyote. I was quietly standing on a wooded ridge line and it nearly ran up to me. Apparently we only have four known in my area. Right in an area where I found a beautiful Machin's Mill Halfpence last year.

This weekend I finally broke the ears off of my stock 11" coil on the Nox 800. Sunday I spent the day with my 15" coil (aka the "Toilet Seat Lid" or "Bob's Big Boy") and felt it the following day! Sent for the warranty repair request tonight. Happy Hunting.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Snakes in the Grass..... 😳

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

We had a monster black snake in one of our parks this yr actually made the news.

People were claiming he was like 14ft long. I've seen them out in the woods but most are in the 5ft and 6ft range.

Yeah I'll 2nd the 15inch coil. Wears on you after awhile. My arm and back get a bit tight after swinging it for a few days.

Does a good job though in my opinion.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions