Look at photos and identify please

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
I found this at a Union Campsite last week and just took it out of it's electrolysis bath tonight for photos. This piece of iron is 6" long, 4 1/2" wide, and 1/2" thick. It was practically solid rust but I could tell even before I started cleaning it that it had a "horse" on it and since Sherman's Right Wing camped here and included a Cavalry detachment I naturally was hoping for the best. I am including a photo of the back of the relic as well as the front. The back looks like a waffle iron. Could this be part of a stove? This area gives up of Union and Rebel items. I would appreciate any input that any of you can offer as to what this is.
Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 642

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Neat item. The photo of the back didn't appear though. I'm stumped at where to start searching on this one. But I like it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply, nhbenz. I am going to try and attach another photo which may help. I hope that other members will offer their opinions.
RonO

Attachments

• DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Half of a camp waffle iron? Believe it or not, cast bronze waffle irons have been dug at ancient Celtic locations in northern France.

In fact, there has been much heated debate over the actual origin of the waffle iron. They even have what is called the legend of the waffle iron.

Lots of retro people pay big bucks for reconditioned early 20th century electric irons.

Upvote 0

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could tell you what it is. I don't believe you would have much waffle left if that was what it was. I sure could be wrong. HH Burdie

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Could it be some type of bronze plaque that was meant to be set in stone ....the waffle part...would be for the cement to adhere to.....????

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
That HAS to be part of a waffle iron... well there goes my day, now I've gotta sit here a research this. :D

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
But doesnt it look like on the front ,that there are also two small holes where something else was inserted...like a name plate or something. ????

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
RonO, --MODIFIED POST: actually given the size, a single handle in the middle would work. -- that grid looks exactly like my waffle iron, with the tapered squares and dimples in the top of each square, and correctly spaced squares, a lip around the edge, etc.)

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Even tho this was found at a Union camp....I think it may be from an earlier time frame....Indian wars.......the soldiers on the plaque are wearing plumed hats.....which I know several regiments initially wore in the civil...but I still think its earlier....

Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
I Believe it is a Currey Comb for Brushing Your Horse, The Brissels Would Have been attached in the center holes on the waffeled side, there would also have been a handle attached to one side.There is a Photo of one very much like yours on pg 71 of Stanley S. Phillips " Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War 1861- 1865 " Hope this is Helpful, Good Hunting. Here are a couple of Pics. trk5capt

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 008.jpg
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 008.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 462
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 009.jpg
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 009.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
Hey Guys, I really appreciate all of the opinions. Keep it up and we may hit on something that all of us can agree on. I asked a 85 year old about the piece and he said that many of the grates used on old wood burning stoves (and probably coal burning stoves, too) had that waffle appearance, but it was on the inside of the grate near the fire. The reason was so that it had more surface area to conduct the heat. Makes sense to me. I don't think that this is a waffle iron because it would seem that the handle that would be required would have been centered on the side with the raised figures. The two holes are not centered and do not appear to have been threaded. I am going to go back over the site tomorrow with a fine tooth comb (actually a Minelab Explorer XS) to see if there is anything else that I missed.
I too have thought that the figures on the horses looked pre Civil War, maybe War of 1812 or even earlier. I thank each of you for your input and hope that you will add something else if an idea comes to mind.
Ron

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Well the first PATENT for a waffle iron was given in 1869. But they were around a lot earlier. I think this looks like a hand made "one of" type thing. But whatever it is I agree with Gypsyheart that it looks older than civil war era.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trk5capt said:
I Believe it is a Currey Comb for Brushing Your Horse, The Brissels Would Have been attached in the center holes on the waffeled side, there would also have been a handle attached to one side.There is a Photo of one very much like yours on pg 71 of Stanley S. Phillips " Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War 1861- 1865 " Hope this is Helpful, Good Hunting. trk5capt...
I like your idea.That would explain the dimpled appearance of the waffled part on the back.That would also explain the marks that look like old screw holes or something on the front.Don't you think?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RonO

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
I don't think the curry comb theory is going to work because the "waffle" side is recessed between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch deeper than the sides and there is no holes on the waffle side to attach the bristles to. I am leaning more and more toward a decorative plate of some kind that attached to something. ??????? Please keep those opinions coming. I thank all of you for your input.
Ron

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a pic of an old waffle iron. The pattern is very similar.

Attachments

• MVC-009E.JPG
    MVC-009E.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I agree with nhbenz...that's gotta be part of a waffle iron. The size is right (4.5" X 6" X 1/2"), and the holes look right for a handle. It may not be made in America. Doesn't it look a little European? I think the pattern found on most old stoves was more of a plain square grid, not with tapered sides in the squares and the dimple in the centers. The dimples in the centers almost nails it 100% as a waffle iron part in my opinion...aside from the other similarities.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread