Look at what the clerk at L&J put in my hand,some Silver,& an error/counterfit?

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at what the clerk at L&J put in my hand,some Silver,& an error/counterfit?

Howdy all , A friend called last night wanted to invite me up for a visit at the ranch West of town ,SURE !!!! :blob8: ( I knew I was in for a breakfast of farm fresh eggs and antelope steak :coffee2: :hello2: ) ,I said will see ya in the morning.Right before we hung up,He tells me,,if you fell like playin with your "machine" bring it ,, the south facing hill with the old cabin ruins is not froze. Well after a restless nights sleep,dreaming of finding gold coins in January in Colorado ,it was time to get up. To make a long story shorter,,,,, stopped at loaf & jug and picked up a couple of Vitaminwaters on my way out of town,get out to the truck dropped my change in the console,,,,,,,,, BOY that sounded like silver,and found these 2 Rosies and these 2 nickles,,,,, what does everyone think about the nickle that is worn & peeling,,,, error or counterfit ??? any input will be appreciated !!!!! OOOOOOH,, I found some goodies with my "machine" also,,, no gold coins though :wink: will post next. HNY,& HH. PPC

Attachments

• 100_4182.JPG
    100_4182.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 100_4184.JPG
    100_4184.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 100_4186.JPG
    100_4186.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 100_4187.JPG
    100_4187.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,059
Upvote 0

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Look at what the clerk at L&J put in my hand,some Silver,& an error/counterfit?

Looks like the die was clogged when they minted that Nickel. I have seen pennies like that before.

John

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Re: Look at what the clerk at L&J put in my hand,some Silver,& an error/counterfit?

Congrats on the silver! Looks like someone dropped superglue on the nickel.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Good for you! Never happens around here. Tennessee digger

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Free silver is always nice... I can't help with the nickel, but it sure looks like it could be counterfeit. I would take it to a coin shop and see if they could help.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

from the pic it looks like the nickle was dipped in poly eurethane.... letters look clearer where peeling is happening.... i dont think theres too much money to be made by counterfitting nickles ,but i could be wrong..

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmmmm....I wonder what was left in the cash register? Nice find's!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS

That probably is a counterfeit nickle.Back in 60's someone actually ran off a batch and it seems like most of them were dumped in a river.I'm not real clear on the dates or places,but I do remember the event from my grade school days.Google Francis Leroy Henning for details.

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the replies !!! No super glue,,No polyeurethane , just coin , it is not magnetic. ProPro, Thanks for the info on the counterfits ,am going to check it out next. I read in the red book that 1944 nickles without mint marks ,are counterfit. Soooo at least I got a little silver :wink: P.S. Bottlebum ,I went back in and the clerk was nice enough to let me look through the change ,, there was no more silver.

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250

The Nickel was stuck between the drum and the finns of a commercial dryer for quit sometime.Just PMD
"Post Mint Damage"

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I like it!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread