๐Ÿ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Looking for a button I.D.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My buddy found this very nice brass button with crown and "V" on the front, I didn't get to see the back mark yet though. :icon_scratch:
Found yesterday in a farm field in Ontario, hoping someone here might recognize it.

Thanks very much for your help,
Dave

IMG_20221006_150313104.jpg
IMG_20221006_150313105-crop.jpg
. :icon_scratch:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
No clue, I canโ€™t even ID American buttons๐Ÿ˜’ very cool find though

Upvote 1

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 5th for Regiment, or some military unit i bet. Captain obvious , i know.

Upvote 1

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Cool button !
It looks familiar to me...I feel I've found a similar one years ago but cannot find a pic of it right now.
There were a lot of local militias in the UK in the early 1800s, I think every township had it's own local gun slingers to step in in times of trouble. Some of these local militia members were in obscure outfits that may have lasted a short time and weren't well known ..
Only to their members for some I think. Some of those guys were Canada's first soldiers and settlers and that is why we find their buttons.
Check militia databases in the UK first for a match if theres one out there.
Good luck tracking down the origin.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dave

The 'V' could be for a 'five' or just an alphabetic letter. The crown style would be helpful but I can't quite make it out, except that it doesn't seem to be a British royal crown. For that reason, I would think it not related to British military, Volunteers or whatever. The 'v' is also unlikely to be for Victoria, since her cypher is almost always as 'VR' for 'Victoria Regina'.

It could be a livery button. Some just have a single script initial or multi-letter monogram with a crown above in non-regal style. Like this, which also happens to be a 'V', but most letters exist:

Livery.jpg

Some (especially sellers) say the 'V' is for 'Viscount' and that can be the case if the crown is also in the stye of a Viscount's (or Viscountess's) coronet as above. It can also be for a surname. The coronet style for Viscounts varies between Britain and continental Europe, but yours doesn't seem to be a Viscount's crown.

If you can get to a backmark that may (or may not) be helpful.

Upvote 6
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks very much for your help here guys, I appreciate all the research you did as well Red-Coat. :occasion14:

Hope all of my fellow Canadians here have a peaceful Thanksgiving today as well.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, see the pics. While not a match it does have the strong curls. Maybe a different regiment.
Thanks very much for your reply and the pics bud, I'll pass the info along to my friend. :thumbsup:
Hope you're getting out detecting in the cool fall weather.
Dave

Upvote 2

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome Dave, hope the pic helps your friend. As for me I've been out some this year - but with a busy 6 months ahead decided to call it a season. Good timing as we've just had 2 killing frosts and the yards are going dormant.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread