Looking for a new detector. Need help.

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have a Garrett Ace 250 and it's served me well to this point. My wife bought it for me a few years ago and I'm fairly successful with it (I've never found a silver coin but I did find a few silver rings and a gold bracelet once). I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading to try and increase my results and increase my chances of gold and silver. I primarily want to find coins and jewelry, and I'm not much of a relic hunter.

I'm really looking for suggestions for a new detector that can meet my wants. I also need a little information as to what I should look into specification wise to find what I really want. I jumped into detecting a few years ago without much research and very much enjoy it, but I think I'm at the point now where I want to take it a little more seriously. I really want to be able to know what is in the ground before I start digging. I can do that pretty well at the moment but sometimes I can't get a steady strong signal and it's all over the place. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Detector choice usually depends on where you may be hunting. Ground (fields, parks etc.) or the beach, sand (wet and dry) or even the water.
Garrett has a new AT out so you may want to check them out since you're familiar with the Garrett already.
If you don't need waterproof then check out First Texas' website where you can get a great deal on the Omega 8500 with their coupon.
Other than swinging the coil over a silver coin, detectors by most manufactures, will pick it up if they'll hit 6 to 10" deep.
Good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your budget? What can you spend comfortably? :skullflag:

OP
OP
I

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really have a limit in mind, but I also don't want to spend excessively if the benefit isn't there if that makes sense. I will use it mostly in dirt than in sand.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You started with the Garrett bell tone, do you favor that sound over other brands? If you like the bell tone then you might want to stay with Garrett, if you can adapt to other tones easily, the Teknetics Patriot is a great machine for the price, especially if you can get $50 off. I like seeing target ID numbers on the screen and run in 3 tones. I swing an F75LTD.

Good Luck in which ever you choose. Most of the major manufacturers have detectors that will help you better ID a target. I use the kellyco site to compare the specs of 3 detectors at a time. I recommend when you see a couple that tickle your fancy that you watch some videos of them.

By the way the Patriot can only be bought from Teknetics, it's the same as the Fisher F70. Digger27 has plenty of posts that may assist you if you choose the Patriot.

Check out this video https://youtu.be/LB2P6fB1O6Q

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really have a limit in mind, but I also don't want to spend excessively if the benefit isn't there if that makes sense. I will use it mostly in dirt than in sand.

OK In, but in future a solid amount is helpful. Minelab CTX 3030 $2,499.00; Whites V3i $1,400.00; Fisher F75 $600.00; Garrett AT Max w/Z-link $730.00; Tesoro Cibola $370.00

Big Gold to you! :skullflag:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro DeLeon. $509 new.
My first MD was a Garrett Ace 200. When I took delivery on my DeLeon less than a month later, I only used the ACE one more time, and that's when I made the decision to sell it.
DeLeon =happiness personified.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread