Looking for a new pair of headphones

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if this is the section of the forum for this, but I am looking for a new pair of headphones. The ones I currently use are Treasure Wise, and they have worked out well for me for the past few years, but the sound balance has gotten messed up, I think because I detected too many times in the rain and they aren't water proof, also the cord has developed a crack in the plastic coating. I am looking for a new pair because I don't want my current headphones to crap out on me while I'm in the field.

My detector takes a 1/4" headphone jack. I am looking for something on the less-expensive side. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

VTColonialDigger

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at a pair of Gray Ghost headphones with a 1/4 inch jack, they were a bit pricey, but as I understand, they are well made. Would the Gray Ghost headphones be worth the money?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grey Ghost headphones are fantastic, I have multiple pairs. I also have other brands that are also very good. :icon_thumleft:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Grey Ghost. The are an excellent phone set and I would consider them in the medium weight class.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve used about every brand out there. I like the Killer Bs and Sun Ray Gold HPs, but much head is wide and they are a little tight and I hurt after a few hours. I thoroughly like the Detector Pro brand (Gray Ghosts, Nugget Busters, Black Widow). I don’t think you can go wrong with the treasure wise but I haven’t extensively used them. I have a set of Vanco headphones which are cheap but I’ve not used them so I cannot attest to their quality. I would also suggest that you look at purchasing a set of used headphones. I’ve bought many used ones and haven’t made a bad purchase. Right now I’m using a set of Gray Ghost NDTs which I picked up from a dealer for $90 and they are good quality, more than a standard set of Gray Ghosts. May look at getting an older set of Garretts or Koss UR30s although on the Koss headphones the build quality is weak but the sound is decent.

Last edited:

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using an old pair of Sennheiser HD280PRO. They're not as rugged as some but the sound is excellent and you'll hear even the most faint signals. About 99 bucks on Amazon. h280pro.jpg

Trinder

Jul 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can advice you to get yourself a SONNY NW-WS413MN. i have a pair and i can say it serves me well. its waterproof form factor: In-ear IPX8, rate MP3 player/headphone combo, Headband design and 12 hours of juice (4GB). it has impressive battery dynamics and compatible with file types. hope this helps you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread