Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off I would like to say hello to all, I've been detecting for 10 or so years now, and I own a Whites Classic 3 machine.

A friend at work that I never knew was an avid metal detecting hobbyist, and he uses an MXT. Well this weekend we got together and he let me use his machine and I was just blown away at how it hits on nickles with a vdi reading of 18. Talk about skipping over all those pull tabs. (And if I where president I would outlaw pull tabs and fine anyone that drops one)

So is there another machine on the market that can do the same thing for less money?

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

I know the DFX, the XLT and the MXT (Whit's top 3) all use the vdi #s. Anything below them, I don't know.

Let me know when you run for pres. I just might vote for you.

Welcome to the forum.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Cache Crazy said:
I know the DFX, the XLT and the MXT (Whit's top 3) all use the vdi #s. Anything below them, I don't know.

Let me know when you run for pres. I just might vote for you.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't forget the M6, it's the fraternal twin of the MXT. It also uses VDI numbers.

I have to say, that the M6 is typically spot-on with nickels with the VDI (between 18 and 20), but I do dig some pulltabs and canslaw that register as 18-20 on a regular basis. Also, keep in mind that depth can alter the VDI of a nickel. Deeper nickels may not necessarily be an 18 or 20. And some claim Jeffersons, war nickels, buffs, V's, and shields all register slightly differently. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of variables.

Joe

BTW...welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not so much looking for a number read out machine but one that has a digital display that indicates a nickle and it's accurate or as accurate as can be.

I was also looking in the $300 range.

With my Classic 3 if it's a trashy area I turn up the disc knob and miss a lot of stuff. I would like to have a visual display also to help determine if I should dig.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I don't think your going to find what you are looking for in the $300. range. Try to find a used Minelab X-Terra 70. They give good soild VDI's on nickels at about 12. Pull tabs sound far different than a nickel and are pretty easy to distinguish.

Good hunting, John K

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
I'm not a big fan of the Fisher F2 but the one thing that really impresses me about it is it's ability to ID nickels and gold rings from pulltabs. Not the greatest depth on high conductors like silver, but it really hits the nickels well.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can pass tabs all day long, and elect instead to dig nickels all day long, with any variety of current VLF/TID discriminators on the market. The MXT has no exclusive niche in this department :icon_scratch: But this will only be shallow nickels, as deeper ones, and deeper tabs, have skewed TIDs (depth and halo's skew TID's). And you will soon see that lots of junk reads in the nickel range too (beaver tails off tabs, etc....). If you're hunting a relicky older site, probably best to just dig all.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I bet I can find more nickles with my GB2 than any other machine. Nickles sceem on the GB-2, that's the ticket. I've posted threads that I've found 20 nickles in one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions