Looking for a working mine hoist

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
My friend is looking to find a used, working mine hoist. Here are the approximate requirements:
  • Minimum lifting capacity of 1,000 lbs, maximum of around 5,000 lbs
  • 500' wire rope capacity for 1/4 rope (or appropriate for the capacity of the hoist)
  • There is no electric power available, so it needs to run either mechanically or hydraulic
  • Sized such that it can be mounted on a trailer
  • Should have forward/reverse/drum brake
Thanks for any tips to find one. 8-)

Joanne

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
My friend is looking to find a used, working mine hoist. Here are the approximate requirements:
  • Minimum lifting capacity of 1,000 lbs, maximum of around 5,000 lbs
  • 500' wire rope capacity for 1/4 rope (or appropriate for the capacity of the hoist)
  • There is no electric power available, so it needs to run either mechanically or hydraulic
  • Sized such that it can be mounted on a trailer
  • Should have forward/reverse/drum brake
Thanks for any tips to find one. 8-)

Joanne
Plan on inspecting the 1/4" wire often if you use the winch a lot. 3/8" wire will hold up better.
Try putting out a craigs list add and see what shows up.
I found a WWII landing craft winch that has what you are looking for on Craigs list. Be prepared to have someone weld / machine a manual handle or better some type of gear so you can add a gas / electric engine / motor to it.
Have you looked at a zip line set up with a smaller winch to move the load?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may also find some real hand winches with a spool that can handle around 600 - 800 lbs. used. I would put new cable on them as a general rule and use the used cable as a backup. You can't put 500' of cable on most hand spool winches.
A used small hydraulic motor can be used with some winches. Usually machining work is needed.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a number of makes of 2.5 ton winches out there to choose from. I went with 5 ton (10,000 lb) for extra safety / load use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread