Looking For Advice about Numbers/Letters carved on Stone

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
I was looking for some help deciphering a stone with some letters/numbers/symbols carved into it. It was found at one end of an elongated oval of rocks oriented north/south, approximately 8 or so feet long and maybe a foot or two wide. At the center of the oval of rocks, buried beneath the surface was a fist size chunk of bright white quartz with what appears to be a large pulley wheel with the spokes broken out placed around the quartz. The rock with the carvings is on the north end of the oval of rocks and is the only stone that forms the north end.
IMG_20220101_163110474~2.jpg
IMG_20220101_163150893.jpg
IMG_20220101_163222062~2.jpg
IMG_20220104_180722395.jpg
IMG_20220104_180744362.jpg
IMG_20220104_180655650~2.jpg
IMG_20220104_180714569.jpg
IMG_20220101_163058970.jpg

IMG_20220101_163110474~4.jpg
What do you think? I would love to hear any ideas or input from you guys! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_180722395~2.jpg
    IMG_20220104_180722395~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20220104-203541.png
    Screenshot_20220104-203541.png
    527.4 KB · Views: 103

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting indeed.:occasion14:And it was found in what region of the world ?

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Very interesting indeed.:occasion14:And it was found in what region of the world ?
Located in a once remote part of Central Arkansas. It is near a rock pile about 5 feet high and the pile continues deep into the ground made from huge flat rocks . There is an old stone lined well that has collapsed a couple hundred feet away, and numerous other oddities nearby. The area has recently come under new ownership and is being cleared and destroyed by heavy machinery. If the rock carvings or surrounding areas have any significance or treasure clues then they will soon disappear forever! So any interpretations you all can offer would be appreciated very much

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Located in a once remote part of Central Arkansas. It is near a rock pile about 5 feet high and the pile continues deep into the ground made from huge flat rocks . There is an old stone lined well that has collapsed a couple hundred feet away, and numerous other oddities nearby. The area has recently come under new ownership and is being cleared and destroyed by heavy machinery. If the rock carvings or surrounding areas have any significance or treasure clues then they will soon disappear forever! So any interpretations you all can offer would be appreciated very much
I'm sure someone here will have ideas on the carvings :)

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I would guess that your place is not treasure related but the 193 caught my attention. The numbers add up to 13 and I've seen that number, many times, at the one site that I've studied. Is this site more than 15 miles from Center Point. There's a place called Wildcat Bluff that has a KGC legend associated with it.
If you're in a big hurry, Sandy1 has a thread, A Guide to Vault Treasure Hunting condensed, that describes a technique where an aura of light can be caught in a photograph. I've never used it but some guys have and they have had some luck capturing an aura.
If you have some time, you can do some measuring with a cloth tape measure. The oval could indicate an eye. Measure the outside of the oval and see how it compares with the numbers 193. For example, you said the oval was about 8 feet long, 8x12=96, 96x2=192, 192 is one off 193. Get good measurements and compare them. Measure all the carvings on each rock and look for similarities.
Give us more information about the terrain, is there high ground to the west, are you close to a river or creek. Also, is there any reason that you might think there is anything of value there.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Something else, work your way out about 200 yards all the way around your oval and look for a heart shaped boulder or a heart carving, might be to the west, but check all the way around. You might have to be standing right on top of a boulder, looking down, to see the outline of the heart.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
It is more than 15 miles from center point. At first I thought the stone was a headstone. But the haphazard content of the carving was kind of messy and ambiguous for a funeral monument. I'll try some precise measurements and see if anything interesting jumps out at me. The location is at the foot of a series of steep ridges that run east/west and a very old wagon road runs parallel with the ridges at it's foot. There is a powerful wet weather creek that runs perpendicular to the ridges through the only gap in the ridges for miles. The site is a black walnut Grove with huge black walnut trees that produce nuts prolifically. The rock pile I mentioned, i was always told, was the homestead of a wheel wright and Confederate officer who homesteaded in 1850s and purchased the land with cash in early 1860 (which I have confirmed with BLM records.) The tall rock pile I mentioned, I was told,was what remains of the foundation that was pushed into the hole left by the root cellar or basement with a tractor in modern times. There are remains of numerous stacked rock structures in the general area. I find many barrel bands, hangforged tools, wagon remains, bottles, ECT and once a Confederate officers button while metal detecting nearby. Down stream from the site, there are remains of a rock structure that might have straddled the creek and was washed away long ago. Amongst it's remains I've found a hand forged hitching post ring. When I was a child on two different occasions, years apart, two different mysterious old men showed up and claimed that there was tresure hidden on the property and wanted to walk around to look for clues. My parents weren't interested in their stories and ran them off, unfortunately. But I have never been able to forget them. The property once belonged to my family but was lost to the bank and sold to new owners last year. While walking around reminiscing before the landscape is changed forever, I happened upon the stone with the carvings and my jaw dropped. It could be nothing, but I would never be able to forgive myself if I didn't investigate it while I still had the chance. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As an aside from the topic of carved/worked stone , I'd be tempted to sniff around with a detector and try to hear under the bases of the walnut trees.
Good place for me to make a cache. Not saying it was so for a prior resident.
Other places too , but the manipulation of the site won't help find previous spots I'd be after.

High natural vantage points in the immediate area might be worth peeking at for more sign.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
As an aside from the topic of carved/worked stone , I'd be tempted to sniff around with a detector and try to hear under the bases of the walnut trees.
Good place for me to make a cache. Not saying it was so for a prior resident.
Other places too , but the manipulation of the site won't help find previous spots I'd be after.

High natural vantage points in the immediate area might be worth peeking at for more sign.
Oh, I've sniffed and poked around the area with a detector off and on since I got my first detector on my 13th birthday long ago. And I have found lots of interesting relics over the years. Nothing of real value as far as caches, stashes, or vaults. But I have found a very rare Deere plow wrench that was appraised by a collector for $300 and later sold for $250. I'm not sure the age of the walnut trees, but I kind of always assumed that they were planted by the resident who homesteaded the area. Hopefully the rain will let up at some point today and allow me to get some measurements and take a look at things from a higher vantage point.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Does the gap in the bluff go to the top of the bluff or out to the prairie. The rock is on the north end of the oval, is it pointing to the bluff.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Does the gap in the bluff go to the top of the bluff or out to the prairie. The rock is on the north end of the oval, is it pointing to the bluff?
The stones location is at the foot of the ridges that run east/west. The steep ridge( I assume is what you mean by bluff?) is to the south of the stone and the first in a series of parallell ridges. To the east is the gap in the ridges. The creek runs north perpendicular to the ridge and has eroded the ridge line over millions of years and formed the gap which is level with the flat pasture or "prarie" (I guess?)type of landscape to the north of the ridges. the collapsed well is also north and is the beginning of flatish pasture land for a mile or so...

If that makes sense?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I was looking for some help deciphering a stone with some letters/numbers/symbols carved into it. It was found at one end of an elongated oval of rocks oriented north/south, approximately 8 or so feet long and maybe a foot or two wide. At the center of the oval of rocks, buried beneath the surface was a fist size chunk of bright white quartz with what appears to be a large pulley wheel with the spokes broken out placed around the quartz. The rock with the carvings is on the north end of the oval of rocks and is the only stone that forms the north end. View attachment 2001566 View attachment 2001567 View attachment 2001568 View attachment 2001572 View attachment 2001571 View attachment 2001573 View attachment 2001574 View attachment 2001575
View attachment 2001576 What do you think? I would love to hear any ideas or input from you guys! Thanks
I've been looking at this last picture. I want to mention that if you ask a hundred people what their interpretation of these letters and numbers might be, you're going to get a hundred different answers. I'm giving you my thoughts, maybe some will be useful, maybe not. Remember I told you the rock oval could indicate an eye. First look at the numbers 193 and a 3 sideways. Add the 1,9 and 3 up and you get 13. You don't add the second 3 because it's on its side and different from the other numbers. Next, the I,E,Y, could indicate EYE, maybe a bad speller, maybe not. Give the I,E and Y their numerical value in the alphabet and add them together, 9+5+25=39. Here's where the sideways 3 comes in, 1+9+3=13 and 13x3=39, so you have a numerical link between the numbers and the letters and the eye. It could be coincidental or part of an engineered site.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old survey marker. Back when they were first surveying the county and townships, they used anything handy, including marking tree trunks and stones which were later replaced by formal markers.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure about how the stone was prior to you finding it.
Look at it upside down.
I think there is a tunnel/shaft, with 2 items at the end on either side. The numbers tell you how far and where. There may be 2 tunnels or one with 2 entrances.
Use some geometry if all else fails.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like an old survey marker. Back when they were first surveying the county and townships, they used anything handy, including marking tree trunks and stones which were later replaced by formal markers.
That was my first gut reaction too. Carved stones or concrete blocks, iron pipes, etc. were the legal monuments used by land surveyors in the 1800s. Obtaining the original plat for the property might provide information that tallies with the carved rock that was found. To my eye, I read "SE" (vertically carved alignment) for the lower right carving, and "IE" (horizontal) for the upper left.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
I thought that might be the case also. But I have found the original plat/survey maps and there doesn't appear to be any surveyor's dividing lines or markers nearby according to the survey maps.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the closest compass bearing on the crackline running thru it? like 330/150 ? 300/120? 240/60? 270/180? If rock hasn't been moved.

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
Are you sure about how the stone was prior to you finding it.
Look at it upside down.
I think there is a tunnel/shaft, with 2 items at the end on either side. The numbers tell you how far and where. There may be 2 tunnels or one with 2 entrances.
Use some geometry if all else fails.
Interesting stuff. I'm new to this kind of thing, are there formulas or geometry that you might suggest?

OP
OP
TriEye

TriEye

Jan 7, 2022
What's the closest compass bearing on the crackline running thru it? like 330/150 ? 300/120? 240/60? 270/180? If rock hasn't been moved.
I will be checking the compass headings of the crack the next chance I get....

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting