Looking For Advice on Wetsuit Purchase

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get a wetsuit, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on it (until the kid is done with college). What I'm looking for is something that will lengthen my water hunting season here in Western NY. I've seen some on Craigslist, but I don't know how good they are. I also don't know how to size one. Normally, I go in the water with a swim suit, t-shirt, and old gym shoes. That's enough when it's warm (mid June through mid September), but I'd like to get out before the docks are out, if possible.

Thank you,
Scott

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fit is the most important factor when purchasing a wetsuit. You must try on the wetsuit, as every wetsuit manufacturer's size chart is different. Thickness is also important. The thicker the suit, the warmer. 'Smoothie' neoprene stretches better and is warmer in windy conditions. Seams are also important. The types of seams used in a wetsuit differ greatly.

An "Overlock" seam is found on inexpensive suits. This type of stitch lasts forever but it is not watertight, and can cause skin irritation or a rash as it protrudes against the skin.

A "Flatlock" seam is a flat stitch that does not push into your skin like the overlock. It is not watertight, but does not cause as much of a rash or chaffing problem.

The "Blindstitch," is a flat stitch that does not penetrate all the way through the neoprene, so there are no stitch holes. It is watertight which makes a tremendous difference. Blindstich seams are found only on more expensive wetsuits.

Last but not least, wetsuit zippers - or closures, are extremely important. "Back-zip" suits are the most common type. Look for a sturdy metal zipper (rather than plastic), and thick flaps behind the zipper to prevent water flushes. You would look for the same qualities in a "Shoulder-zip" suit.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is only my advice from personal experience but I say go into a local surf shop and buy a surfing wetsuit if you want something that's going to be durable and designed not to irritate with constant movement.

sexton

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a budget go to the thrift store goodwill big savings. wash before you wear

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry knows wet suits. Your going to have to go to a dive shop to try them on an and don't buy used or online till you get experience. Get long sleeves and not to loose as the idea is to have your body warm the water in the suit and not lose it flushing in and out. On a side note you can pee in the suit. My brother in law had to exit the water and drive to a rest room to pee. What a Weenie. Get a 2 piece shorty in 1/4 inch for best warmth and just wear the jacket in the summer. You might want a hood if its windy. :coffee2:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for a 2 piece farmer john
minimum of 5mm - I use a 7mm in New England waters= warm gloves and boots are especially important

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Your that far north I would say drysuit... How long do you want to extent your season? For less then 300 dollars you can get a nice one off of ebay under Military

Mustang Survival Tactical Operations Dry Suit MSD575 NV Sz XLarge Regular XL R | eBay

Mine I can hunt any temp waters with clammer gloves and a drysuit, unless it is frozen. I have a couple friends that hunt with me right now that are wearing wetsuits, the water here is in the low 40's now and they are just about at the limited at how long they can handle the chilly water. And if you go drysuit, goes as big as possible, much easier to get in and out.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your that far north I would say drysuit... How long do you want to extent your season? For less then 300 dollars you can get a nice one off of ebay under Military

Mustang Survival Tactical Operations Dry Suit MSD575 NV Sz XLarge Regular XL R | eBay

Mine I can hunt any temp waters with clammer gloves and a drysuit, unless it is frozen. I have a couple friends that hunt with me right now that are wearing wetsuits, the water here is in the low 40's now and they are just about at the limited at how long they can handle the chilly water. And if you go drysuit, goes as big as possible, much easier to get in and out.

I am with OBN. In your latitude, go with a drysuit. First off, they are easier to size than a wetsuit. A drysuit does not have to be form fitting like a wetsuit does. I recently bought a very nice OS systems drysuit with Polar Boots on Ebay for $125.00. It had hardly ever been worn, but the latex wrist and neck seal had to be replaced. This is no big deal. The old seals will generally peel off with a hairdryer. Get yourself a good fleece undergarment and you will never look back.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Jolly M check out these gloves..SI Tech..

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use some gold to pay for a dry suit.... im in Fl and still feel like im freezing my butt off after 6 to 8 hours in the water in a 5 mm shortie. Now Joe..... about peeing in a dry suit? Cold water and ole men ya know.....

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use some gold to pay for a dry suit.... im in Fl and still feel like im freezing my butt off after 6 to 8 hours in the water in a 5 mm shortie. Now Joe..... about peeing in a dry suit? Cold water and ole men ya know.....

I'm new to treasure hunting, but know a little about SCUBA, and drysuits. Enough to say don't pee in one...

However, just in case you're serious, dry suit accessory makers do offer 'pee valves'. When you put the suit on you have to put a catheter on your... self. The catheter has a tube that connects to a one-way valve in the suit.

Yes, really. Look it up.

However, notice I'm talking about SCUBA drysuits. I don't know much about non-diving drysuits like used by kayakers and others. They may have other options.

WRT the SI Tech gloves posted above, there are two general types of gloves used by drysuit divers. Some drysuits have wrist seals, and are used with regular 'wet' neoprene gloves. The ones pictured above are 'dry' type, and warmer. However, for treasure hunting I would think you would want neoprene gloves for the increased dexterity. The dry gloves are loose-fitting to be worn over cotton or fleece liner gloves.

For the budget-minded, there is a DIY approach to the dry gloves. More info on request.

And for the OP: There are basically two types of drysuits, shell suits and neoprene suits. Neoprene suits have built-in insulation (the neoprene), whereas a shell suit is basically just a thin nylon coverall to keep your insulating garments dry. I would think you would want to look at shell suits, since you have greater control over the insulation (vary the undergarments to suit the season). Plus a neoprene suit is almost always black, and they get really warm in the sun. Working in the surf zone it seems you would have more trouble with your torso sweating while your hands and feet are freezing.

Oh, and WRT the original question, I would also advise looking into a drysuit. I have a heavy neoprene farmer john and jacket that I use for cold-water diving. While it can be warm enough, and avoids issues of drysuit diving, it is really restrictive. That's OK with recreational diving where you don't do much with your hands anyway, but for this hobby, I think a drysuit would be the way to go.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been using a Ice Water Rescue suit for many years. I bought mine used. It has outlasted all many waders, but I do not use it as frequently as waders. I only use it in rougher waters and to get out that extra 2-3 inches in depth, especially on super low tides during the winter. The set I have has the gloves and bootfoot attached. Cost was around 150 and I have never had one leak. I wish waders would last as long.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm looking to get a wetsuit, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on it (until the kid is done with college). What I'm looking for is something that will lengthen my water hunting season here in Western NY. I've seen some on Craigslist, but I don't know how good they are. I also don't know how to size one. Normally, I go in the water with a swim suit, t-shirt, and old gym shoes. That's enough when it's warm (mid June through mid September), but I'd like to get out before the docks are out, if possible.
Thank you,
Scott

Scott, do not buy a wetsuit without trying it on. They are not like clothes, you cannot go by the size. Even two wetsuits of the same size from the same manufacturer will fit a little different. A correct fit will be snug, but not so tight that it restricts your movement. Put the wetsuit on and take a deep breath - you should feel a gentle tightness around your chest with your lungs full, but none when you exhale.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Dew

Dew, I use a drysuit even when it is fairly warm (70) because the bay is so contaminated, I have a lite weight that is perfect. And as far as peeing, I stay away from the ones with relief zippers, just another place to leak. I just make sure I go before I get in and I'm good for 4 to 5 hours, after that I'll just do the walk to the shore and leave if needed.
lite weight drysuit..

And one thing, Like Jolly Molly and Water Walker...Boot foot is best for winter, I have one boot foot which I love and my feet can handle 4 plus hours of low 30's degree water and stay very warm, but the other drysuits I have use the stocking foot, if I keep moving in the cold water they are ok, but your moving slow in low 30 water and your feet will get chilled or cold.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
WRT the SI Tech gloves posted above, there are two general types of gloves used by drysuit divers. Some drysuits have wrist seals, and are used with regular 'wet' neoprene gloves. The ones pictured above are 'dry' type, and warmer. However, for treasure hunting I would think you would want neoprene gloves for the increased dexterity. The dry gloves are loose-fitting to be worn over cotton or fleece liner gloves.

Amazing these have better grip on small items then the neoprenes..

when I use the 5mm neoprenes I can't even pick up a dime..then put it in the pouch and not lose it...blue smurfs are much better

Last year I made a set of long arm gloves and tested the dexterity of the Blue Smurfs...now they are used with the Si tech kit ..check out the small stuff..

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pair of insulated waders, only if I am going no deeper then knee deep. They are dangerous in the surf, one fall and basically you will be visiting the coroner.

A two piece farmer john, 3mil bottom with attached boots and 4mil top, worn complete that's 7mil over your chest to keep u warm.

The best, is a dry suit, you can layer on under it for really cold water work or taper off as the water warms. Plus it is so easy to get into and out of, imagine trying to change outside into wet suit when its 30 degrees and the wind is howling, almost makes you change your mind about going, dang gives me goose bumps just remembering those days.

Even if the water is warm enough to swim in, due to the fact we are wading and not generating a lot of body heat a thin dry suit during the early or late summer works good.

One important lesson to know, unless you have some meat on your bones and even then this helps.
Press the air release valve after you enter the water so you won't be so buoyant, a good dry suit will make you feel like the michelin tire man out there with all the air trapped in it.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would advise you to get a rash guard shirt because the first time I rented a wetsuit, my nipples were so sore they got infected and I had a discharge which scared me. Had a mammogram and the whole nine yards for nothing. bought a rash guard long sleeve shirt for about 50 bucks and it works great. If you're moving around a lot in a wetsuit this can happen swinging your detector coil and working your scoop. I watched a video of someone getting the air out of a drysuit by squatting down several times to purge the air. I bought my wetsuit last month at the dive shop and they will make sure it fits and it needs to fit snug to keep you warm. I wear 2.0 under armor under my wetsuit and the rash guard shirt under the under armor. I have the two piece farmer john and that gives me 3mm from the waist down and 6 mm from the waist up. I also use under armor gloves that are not waterproof, but insulate your hands kind of like the wetsuit warms up the water next to your skin. GL & HH.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
Go for a drysuit. I just got a tropical one this year on eBay for $175 in nearly new condition. Craigslist is another option for dry or wetsuits and you could try on before buying to make sure it fits. Salvation Army and Goodwill will also sometimes have them, but that is like playing roulette trying to find what you want much less in your size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread