Looking for ANY feedback on these pictures. I can't get this place out of my head!

LJD3

Jul 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so a while back, my husband and I stumbled upon this old looking trail. Of course we followed it into a wash that still had the tiniest stream flowing through it. The trail crept alongside the creek and overgrown vegetation that completely hid all visible signs of water. The further we went, the more the we felt pulled deeper and deeper into the hidden area. There were no trees for quite some time, with the exception of one, and just after passing that tree the trail rounded a large outcropping of stones that could have, at one time, been a waterfall of some kind, perhaps. The whole cliff side started to take on a personality of it's own and it was if something was pulling us around the bend.

And that's when we heard what we thought was puppy whimpering or something. We hardly noticed the pyramid shaped boulder right next to us when out of the cliff across the creek from us appeared an owl. I swear it looked like it crawled out of a hole and the scurried up the rock face to the top.....where it stretched its enormous wings and called out to us. It was beautiful! So....naturally I HAD to try to take it's picture! Lol=). And then from behind me swooped in another, bigger one. I'm assuming they were a mating pair, but that's just my guess. That one was much closer to me and we kind of stared at each other for awhile....me, the whole time, with a gigantic smile on my face and just trying to talk to it so it stays still long enough to get a really good pic...which, big surprise, I didn't really get. But oh well....

While I was obsessing over the owls my husband had continued around the rest of the bend. The area opened up a lot and felt eerie, but not bad eerie. I could almost see and hear the people that used to walk that path. I literally felt like my husband and I were really young and were on our way to the shaman or chief's home to be wed. I could see the flowers and stream flowing beside me as we walked the trail. And as I looked ahead at husband I felt that deep love, excitement and anticipation a new bride feels right before the wedding. I don't know... There is a history to this place. I feel it deep in my bones and I want so badly to learn what its story is. There is a cave house and what loons like some sort of alter. And in the very center of the place is tree with large boulders surrounding the trunk. Both my husband and I swear one of them looks like a giant pot that is laying on it's side.

As we explored the area we started to get an uncomfortable feeling. So, as I took a few more pics the first owl called to the second one (they were watching us the whole time) and then the second owl swooped down off the cliff and flew right over my husbands head and they both were hooting. Obviously they were trying to tell us something.....right? So, we decided to turn around an start heading back to our car.

That's when we noticed the pyramid boulder and the cliff across from it....the cliff that the second owl had been perched on the whole time. The rock formations look incredibly man made. My husband started to walk closer to them, but the owls kept talking and we both got this feeling in the pits of our stomachs that we needed to go.....quickly.

And the second owl stayed with us until we reached the opening of the wash where we had found the trail. He watched until we got into our car!

And we can't get this place out of our heads!

Here are the pics I took......

Oh and I almost forgot...when we got home and were looking at pictures we noticed on the tree trunk. Scratch marks?

What do you all think?
20200424_190926.jpg
20200424_192346.jpg
20200424_191820.jpg
20200424_191625.jpg
20200424_192200.jpg
20200424_192252.jpg
20200424_192308.jpg
20200424_192248.jpg
20200424_192232~2.jpg
20200424_192107~2.jpg
20200424_191921.jpg
20200424_191926.jpg
20200424_191930.jpg
20200424_192217.jpg
20200424_192019.jpg
20200424_192042_resized.jpg
20200424_192042.jpg
20200424_191128.jpg
20200424_190955.jpg
20200424_192946.jpg

Attachments

• 20200424_192120.jpg
    20200424_192120.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • 20200424_192317.jpg
    20200424_192317.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whooooo. The owls were bombing you, because they had a nest nearby, more than likely. They were telling you to leave. It's not unusual to feel something "spiritual", when finding yourself in a beautiful natural setting. I don't think it goes beyond your personal, sensory stimulation. All natural setting, except for the rocks lining the path, and the stacked rocks under the overhang. Both are likely recent activity. As Go-deep asks, is this a park setting?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful place,I wouldn,t worry about anything eerie.As Kray said,owls are quite territorial and protective of their nests.Absolutely fearless too.Wonderful pictures,Thank you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great outing.
Go back , or explore elsewhere. But do it again!

Be safe. Crawling into holes ect , nah.. Why ruin a good outing by inventing a better mouse trap , or finding the wrong spider or something , too late to avoid.

Closer observation should find sign of smaller critters.
The owls eat. And with water and seeds nearby , plus the forbs ect.; other critters eat too.
May be some "owl pellets" coughed up with small mammal bones and jaws with teeth near /below the areas owls perch in too.

Nice pics. Looks like a prime time for the habitat.

Heidi-

Greenie
May 16, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III, Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it's so beautiful and mysterious! I know that gut feeling you were describing, not bad, just erie.... I really like your pictures!

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah holy sh$% there is definitely something going on there, you can absolutely trust your gut. I would explore it more.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful place. I think that's a Great Horned Owl... and they begin nesting here in Texas in December. When you do more exploring, keep aware of the owls... they are territorial, defend their young and have been known to attack humans.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice place. I can see why it would put a spell on you.

the path may be an animal trail.

I agree with the others, if possible take a detector and check the area out.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so a while back, my husband and I stumbled upon this old looking trail. Of course we followed it into a wash that still had the tiniest stream flowing through it. The trail crept alongside the creek and overgrown vegetation that completely hid all visible signs of water. The further we went, the more the we felt pulled deeper and deeper into the hidden area. There were no trees for quite some time, with the exception of one, and just after passing that tree the trail rounded a large outcropping of stones that could have, at one time, been a waterfall of some kind, perhaps. The whole cliff side started to take on a personality of it's own and it was if something was pulling us around the bend.

And that's when we heard what we thought was puppy whimpering or something. We hardly noticed the pyramid shaped boulder right next to us when out of the cliff across the creek from us appeared an owl. I swear it looked like it crawled out of a hole and the scurried up the rock face to the top.....where it stretched its enormous wings and called out to us. It was beautiful! So....naturally I HAD to try to take it's picture! Lol=). And then from behind me swooped in another, bigger one. I'm assuming they were a mating pair, but that's just my guess. That one was much closer to me and we kind of stared at each other for awhile....me, the whole time, with a gigantic smile on my face and just trying to talk to it so it stays still long enough to get a really good pic...which, big surprise, I didn't really get. But oh well....

While I was obsessing over the owls my husband had continued around the rest of the bend. The area opened up a lot and felt eerie, but not bad eerie. I could almost see and hear the people that used to walk that path. I literally felt like my husband and I were really young and were on our way to the shaman or chief's home to be wed. I could see the flowers and stream flowing beside me as we walked the trail. And as I looked ahead at husband I felt that deep love, excitement and anticipation a new bride feels right before the wedding. I don't know... There is a history to this place. I feel it deep in my bones and I want so badly to learn what its story is. There is a cave house and what loons like some sort of alter. And in the very center of the place is tree with large boulders surrounding the trunk. Both my husband and I swear one of them looks like a giant pot that is laying on it's side.

As we explored the area we started to get an uncomfortable feeling. So, as I took a few more pics the first owl called to the second one (they were watching us the whole time) and then the second owl swooped down off the cliff and flew right over my husbands head and they both were hooting. Obviously they were trying to tell us something.....right? So, we decided to turn around an start heading back to our car.

That's when we noticed the pyramid boulder and the cliff across from it....the cliff that the second owl had been perched on the whole time. The rock formations look incredibly man made. My husband started to walk closer to them, but the owls kept talking and we both got this feeling in the pits of our stomachs that we needed to go.....quickly.

And the second owl stayed with us until we reached the opening of the wash where we had found the trail. He watched until we got into our car!

Oh and I almost forgot...when we got home and were looking at pictures we noticed on the tree trunk. Scratch marks?

What do you all think? View attachment 1997093 View attachment 1997094 View attachment 1997100 View attachment 1997097 View attachment 1997105 View attachment 1997091 View attachment 1997088 View attachment 1997087 View attachment 1997085 View attachment 1997083 View attachment 1997096 View attachment 1997098 View attachment 1997104 View attachment 1997084 View attachment 1997099 View attachment 1997101 View attachment 1997086 View attachment 1997095 View attachment 1997092 View attachment 1997090
Very, VERY Special Place ,you have there! 👍

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What do you all think? View attachment 1997093 View attachment 1997094 View attachment 1997100 View attachment 1997097 View attachment 1997105 View attachment 1997091 View attachment 1997088 View attachment 1997087 View attachment 1997085 View attachment 1997083 View attachment 1997096 View attachment 1997098 View attachment 1997104 View attachment 1997084 View attachment 1997099 View attachment 1997101 View attachment 1997086 View attachment 1997095 View attachment 1997092 View attachment 1997090
OK where do i start, Did you mention what state, Time of the year ? Like someone said they think you was close to the owls nest. Bit of ADVICE !!! when climbing around there PLEASE be CAREFUL and WATCH out for SNAKES !!!!! STAY SAFE . Thanks for the WONDERFUL STORY and Let me WELCOME you to a VERY FINE INTERNET FORUM !!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Pictures , Great Story thanks for sharing. Please be careful there . We like talking with you and not ABOUT YOU !!

Whynotme

Greenie
Feb 16, 2022

Very interesting! That's a Great Horned Owl looking at you. The females are 1/3 bigger than the males. It's true for all rapters though I don't know why. I agree that they have a nest nearby. I would go back and see the place again. It's certainly a place that is beautiful so even for just that reason it would be interesting to check it out again.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice pics and great country to explore! Growing up I was taught that owls are a bad sign. I guess that's silly, but I still get the tiniest bit apprehensive when one shows up and I'll avoid them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread