Looking for any info on Roswell/Lebanon store robbery in the 1880's.

Nov 16, 2022
What I have is a single robber held up a general store in the area of present-day Norcross St. and present-day Holcomb bridge Rd. I was told 2 to 300 dollars in gold coin was taken. Then the bandit turned north and was eventually caught up with in the now area of Dawsonville a few days later. No money was found on him. All this info I was told from a 90 year old neighbor 30 years ago who said he and his brother use to look for the money because their father told them about the robber and that he came through their property when he was on the run. I believe this story to be true because of some other info he told me that I was able to both confirm and locate on his family's property.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the '80's was by Word of Mouth & unknown whos Memory ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't know if detectorcowboy is joking
or actually is Giving clues (I didn't search Bill Elliott , Never Heard of him) :dontknow: But I would suggest
Shortening & Stretching the Search for leads by at least a Decade , I see a lot of Used to be 's ("present day", "area is Now..")
type Leads :( hard to do a Legit Search in Old Papers on that :(
Sorry !

But Seriously, If they thought it was Real, That would be good Enough to Keep looking in my Book :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Detecting Georgia
Nov 16, 2022
I have searched the papers and talked to several historians in Roswell, Ga. and also their historical society years back and have had no luck other than the location of a few stores in the area. Was hoping someone on this group might have heard the same story of the robbery in Roswell/Lebanon Ga.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread