Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this a long time ago. It was advertised as dug in great Britain, bronze arrowhead. I’m not too worried if it’s fake or not I didn’t pay much. Assuming it is real, what can you tell me about it? Looking for things like rough age, maybe there’s a name for the style, anything about the people that made it and so on. I’m working on a catalog of my stuff and I’d like to add a better description than “Celtic arrowhead dug in Great Britain by unknown person”

It’s roughly a couple inches long and it’s way out of my general area of expertise the rest of my arrowheads are the North American stone variety. So any help would be appreciated
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585992056.762149.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585992073.602420.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's unlikely that your bronze arrowhead was actually detected in England, that was and is a popular false selling point used by many shady UK based dealers of material they bought from detectorists in Eastern Europe and the Balkans on the cheap. Artifacts claiming a UK origin always fetch top dollar so one must be careful. Based on my experience I think it's a Black Sea region or lower Danube River basin area early(er) Iron Age bilobate arrowhead of the Cimmerians, Scythians, or adjacent Greek or Celtic/Thracian peoples, however that general style was extremely widespread and popular over a wide area so pinpointing an age and culture may not be possible. Given where those "UK-found" dealers get stuff though it's probably from Bulgaria, Ukraine or Russia and from the 8th-6th centuries BC. Those earlier bilobate pieces are nicer and more substantial than the more common later trilobate arrowheads so it's a nice piece regardless of any dealer deception.

You may find this broad overview and attempt at identifying European and Near Eastern arrowhead styles interesting: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Ancient%20Metal%20Arrowheads

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and direction I know I may be a little late but I thought after a while with no takers the thread was dead then forgot about it all together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread