Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 1977 I was in New Orleans living on the street and hanging out for the Mardi Gras . An artist named Walter Dawley rented me a spot on his living room floor to roll out my sleeping bag, Me and a girl I met stayed there about 3 weeks. To pay him I did tracings of pictures projected onto a canvass from a slide projector which he would paint over with watercolors, and then he would sell these to tourists, he set up on the fence in Jackson Square. Anyway, I’d like to buy a painting or two of his, hopefully one of the ones I did the layout on. Most of the ones I did were of Pirates Alley, the Cabildo, Jackson Square and would date to February/March of 1977. Anyone on here familiar with Walter W. Dawley or his work ? He would most certainly be dead by now, probably died in New Orleans but I believe he was from Santa Fe, New Mexico.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1977 I was in New Orleans living on the street and hanging out for the Mardi Gras . An artist named Walter Dawley rented me a spot on his living room floor to roll out my sleeping bag, Me and a girl I met stayed there about 3 weeks. To pay him I did tracings of pictures projected onto a canvass from a slide projector which he would paint over with watercolors, and then he would sell these to tourists, he set up on the fence in Jackson Square. Anyway, I’d like to buy a painting or two of his, hopefully one of the ones I did the layout on. Most of the ones I did were of Pirates Alley, the Cabildo, Jackson Square and would date to February/March of 1977. Anyone on here familiar with Walter W. Dawley or his work ? He would most certainly be dead by now, probably died in New Orleans but I believe he was from Santa Fe, New Mexico.
I did a search for this artist, it appears he died in 1980.

I could only find where 2 of his paintings were sold in auction in 2012, they were auctioned at Crescent City Auction Gallery which is in New Orleans, maybe you can contact them and see if they can help you locate some of his pieces.

https://www.crescentcityauctiongallery.com/

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found another one of his paintings that sold in 2021.

watercolor-painting-of-st-louis-cathedral-1972

Also I think this is a photo of him?

OIP.5lsROv3LHe1ZXcnU9m-fKQHaIt

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, that's Walt, I wonder where they buried him. He must've had a dozen of those damn hats ! He's in front of Popeye's on Canal Street back when there was only one.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How did you find a photo of him ? A few years ago I had a link, his son was selling prints of Walt's work, but I lost it.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you find a photo of him ? A few years ago I had a link, his son was selling prints of Walt's work, but I lost it.
I just happened upon the photo when searching for photos/links to his art work, the link for where the photo came from was a link that no longer works, a shame because it seems the link was to a site about his life/career.

Do you remember his son's name, it maybe possible to track him down?

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just happened upon the photo when searching for photos/links to his art work, the link for where the photo came from was a link that no longer works, a shame because it seems the link was to a site about his life/career.

Do you remember his son's name, it maybe possible to track him down?
I don't remember his son's name but somebody on treasure net gave me the link in a conversation I participated in or maybe even started, if I can figure out how to get back through all my posts and such maybe I can find it. I met Walt through the girl I was seeing, she was his niece or something and was staying with him for Mardi Gras. Her name was Madeline, don't remember her last name, she was from Santa Fe also. We were having a little Mardi Gras romance, she went home a day after Mardi Gras and I left about a week later. Now that I think about it, that was definitely 1976 because I went down there again in 77 with my new girlfriend and visited Walt for a couple days. I know this because we got married shortly after and my daughter was born in February of 78 and we never went anywhere after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread