Looking for ground balance tech info maybe better luck in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
D

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
tmops, there are soils so weak in iron mineralization that they look like air to the detector. Florida limestone soils are like this, so are UK chalk soils (also limestone). Sometimes if you crank the sensitivity to max you might hear start hearing a weak soil and can then do a proper GB. In soils where the GB cannot be heard then it usually doesn't matter where you set it. I say usually because there are some designs whereby the GB setting does have some effect on the target ID.

All detectors have their GB systems calibrated to ferrite, which is considered to have a loss angle close to 0°. But it's not exact, so on a manual GB system the calibration might occur with the GB knob set to 10% or so. This gives you the ability to adjust to a loss angle lower than the ferrite but leaves most of the GB range for higher loss angles, which is where most soils will be. So for neutral soil I would set the GB to minimum or maybe up to 10%. Again, it's more likely than not you will see no difference no matter where you set it.
I forgot to mention about the limestone here. Thanks for picking up on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread