Looking for ID of mark on button

Shobiwan

Feb 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this button in the yard of my 150 year old farmhouse in SW Pennsylvania. It is 1-3/8" in diameter and has a faint design. It is made of a metal that does not attract a magnet. When I first dug it up, I didn't notice the design. It appears to be a flower with the bloom hanging towards the ground. I'm not sure if that's the makers mark or the design on the button.
I would love any information anyone can give me on it, or any good resources to check.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 62

Samuel Bellamy

Greenie
Jun 21, 2016
San Francisco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I contacted an acquaintance of mine who collects buttons to see if she could help identify. I'll keep you posted when I hear from her. I sent your images to her as well.

Sam

Upvote 0

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert, but it sure looks way older than 150 years. Bear in mind, older things were brought with people that built a home in a new area, as well as the land was certainly travelled before a home was ever there.

I'd guess it may be pewter? But really old brass alloys in my acid soils, give a color like pewter/lead, but it often is a very thick layer of corrosions of the metals in the different alloys of "brass". More zinc mixed into brass can do that.

brass is copper mixed with zinc and other metals, and can read different than other mixes/ratios of metal in the alloy. These different mixes of alloys can corrode with many different appearances here in my area.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it was a "dandy" button. A flat button, with an engraved face. Widely used during the 1800s.

Most likely a brass alloy, that was gold gilt or sliver plated, a long time ago.

Upvote 0

Samuel Bellamy

Greenie
Jun 21, 2016
San Francisco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Other
well, my friend contacted her friends and they feel that the decoration because it's floral certainly came from a women's dress, non-military. ( I know but I had to say it). They both felt the decoration was created with a pin or needle to poke holes in the button to form the flower? because it wasn't attracted by a magnet and the condition they found no other designs like it in any of their combined books or research. (they run a button club and have published a couple books between them) on the collecting of antique buttons. So her best guess was that they may be one-offs for a fancy dress? Sorry couldn't help much more.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread