TheStoryTeller

Greenie
Jan 10, 2022
Hey everyone!

I joined this forum in the hopes that someone out there could help me with some research I'm doing into the late treasure hunter, Olin Frick. In the 1970s, Frick and his business partner, John Gasque, owned a company called Caribbean Ventures in the Florida Keys. The company was embroiled in several controversies, including a legal battle against Mel Fisher's company, Treasure Salvors Inc., over salvaging rights to the Atocha in 1980. Frick died in an accident in 1982. Aside from a legal document outlining the court case between Frick, Gasque, and Fisher, the only other notable thing I have uncovered about Frick is his discovery of the alleged Pinta shipwreck. Everything else I have managed to find out about him has been anecdotal.

My questions are: Are there any treasure hunters on this forum who worked with/for, or were acquainted with Olin Frick and John Gasque? Does anyone have any memories of these two men in the Keys, and does anyone have more information regarding their business practices? Was Caribbean Ventures ever subcontracted by Treasure Salvors Inc. to raise canons and other artifacts? What other wrecks did Caribbean Ventures work on? If you have any information, please respond here or you can email me at [email protected].

Thank you!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site,I can,t help with your request but I,m sure somebody will be along that can. There,s another forum for shipwrecks a little furthur down the page,you might try looking thru the old posts there and see if you can find a lead.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s a guy on here goes by BlakBart.He does a lot of metal detecting in the Keys and seems to know a lot about treasure hunting too.He might could help.You can find him a lot in the Random Chat Thread forum.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm doing research for a potential article about Caribbean Ventures.
Conflicts among salvors can make it an unpleasant topic. More so , unbalanced when you get information laced with bias. Which is hard to avoid in such company / companies..
How do you know a source is not biased? Like /dislike or neutral about someone you knew /know in the pursuit of what is underwater , then ask/find ;why?

OP
OP
TheStoryTeller

TheStoryTeller

Greenie
Jan 10, 2022
Conflicts among salvors can make it an unpleasant topic. More so , unbalanced when you get information laced with bias. Which is hard to avoid in such company / companies..
How do you know a source is not biased? Like /dislike or neutral about someone you knew /know in the pursuit of what is underwater , then ask/find ;why?

I found those two articles already, but thank you! Also, that's why I'm doing research. I have heard from one person who worked for Frick, I have read a few anecdotal things about Frick, and I am trying to get more information so that I can create a better profile of the man that isn't biased.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread