NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching a lot of so called "restoration" videos online lately, many with old pistols that were dug or pulled up with magnets and honestly some of them really annoy me how awful they are. I've had my magnets out at the river and some ponds here hoping to find a good one to make a proper video with but no luck. The couple I do have are way too far gone and won't be any use for a video.

Anyone have one they want to part with? I'm not looking for functional, I'm looking for rusted solid, non working pistols that may be possible to get at least mechanically workable. I'm not looking to make a shooter out of a relic either, and any I do work on will have the barrel or chamber permanently pinned to make sure no one ever tries to load them and loses a finger, safety first. The older the better, because an 1890's revolver is more interesting than a glock as far as video :laughing7:

If you have something, post it here or shoot me a message.

Thanks in advance
NOLA

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
I've been watching a lot of so called "restoration" videos online lately, many with old pistols that were dug or pulled up with magnets and honestly some of them really annoy me how awful they are. I've had my magnets out at the river and some ponds here hoping to find a good one to make a proper video with but no luck. The couple I do have are way too far gone and won't be any use for a video.

Anyone have one they want to part with? I'm not looking for functional, I'm looking for rusted solid, non working pistols that may be possible to get at least mechanically workable. I'm not looking to make a shooter out of a relic either, and any I do work on will have the barrel or chamber permanently pinned to make sure no one ever tries to load them and loses a finger, safety first. The older the better, because an 1890's revolver is more interesting than a glock as far as video :laughing7:

If you have something, post it here or shoot me a message.

Thanks in advance
NOLA
Regardless of the condition or functionality, if the frame is still attatched , no one can just give you one.
They are all still Federally regulated and you will still have to do the paperwork and go through a background check.
It's not worth the trouble you could be asking for.

Unless of course you are refering to and asking about black powder guns.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of the condition or functionality, if the frame is still attatched , no one can just give you one.
They are all still Federally regulated and you will still have to do the paperwork and go through a background check.

Depending on the state,if it,s in state he can be given the piece without a background check or any paperwork.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish could help but I've only dug a Locked up Jennings or Braco (pot metal ) .380 , & maybe a Tilt Barrel (Beretta) but not a Beretta ??? But it's Rusted Bad Ill have to look for it .

Actually I was told where a old friend threw a Colt Diamondback.38 in a lake in 1997 (I Think ) , I think ill throw a strong magnet in that area in the Fall , & Ill let you know.

I have dug a 3+ foot Enfield Barrel & a Colt Pocket pistol in .30 Cal Cylinder r with 4 of the 5 holes still loaded. , I really love that find .

Good Luck & like I said ill let you know if I find the Colt .38 SP , I was with him when he threw it in so I have a basic idea where it was . FWIW He threw it in the lake cause he drank too much and about shot someone & himself in a Blackout. .

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
Depending on the state,if it,s in state he can be given the piece without a background check or any paperwork.
Background checks and paperwork are Federal rules.
Exception: In Pa. a handgun can be given to a blood family member by a blood family member.
Otherwise, all Federal rules/laws apply.
We cannot be advocating breaking Federal firearms laws in this forum.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exception: In Pa. a handgun can be given to a blood family member by a blood family member.
In Florida, I can give or sell a firearm to a family member, friend or stranger as long as they are a resident of the state and reached the proper age, 18 for long guns or 21 for pistols, and are not forbidden to own.

Florida State Requirements for Purchasing Firearms​

While Florida follows federal law regarding gun purchases, it also has its own laws. The state does not require a person to have a permit for firearm purchases, but does require dealers to do background checks on buyers. This is not required of private sellers. Additional requirements to purchase a gun in Florida include:
  • Purchaser must be at least 21 years of age, but 18-year-olds can buy long guns as long as they are a law enforcement or correctional officer.
  • Person purchasing a handgun must live in the state of Florida. They can buy long guns in other states as long as the sale follows the laws in that state.
  • Legal permanent resident aliens living in Florida can purchase a firearm, but they must show an alien registration number. Nonresident aliens temporarily in Florida must show a border crossing number, known as an I-94, with a valid exception document.
  • There is a three-day waiting period, excluding weekends and state holidays, between purchasing and delivering any firearm. Counties and municipalities can enact local ordinances that lengthen the waiting period for up to five days.

The state does not limit the number of guns that can be transferred in one transaction. It considers the transaction complete once the buyer fills out and signs A.T.F. Form 4473. Additional transfers require separate background checks, no matter when they occur, even if it has been only a few minutes from the last transaction.

Federal Gun Laws and the Transfer of Firearms​

According to Title 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3), an unlicensed or non-dealer can transfer guns to another unlicensed or non-dealer if they reside in the same state, but it is illegal for them to transport or receive a firearm from a seller living in another state. A private seller cannot sell or deliver a gun to a purchaser who does not live in their state.
In addition, Title 18 states that it is illegal for a private seller to sell a gun to a private buyer if they have reason to believe that an individual cannot possess or receive it under federal or state laws. If private buyers and sellers breach these requirements, the transaction is illegal, and both parties can face severe legal repercussions.

ATF website

"What recordkeeping procedures should be followed when two unlicensed individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?​

When a transaction takes place between unlicensed persons who reside in the same state, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. An unlicensed person may sell a firearm to another unlicensed person in their state of residence and, similarly, an unlicensed person may buy a firearm from another unlicensed person who resides in the same state. It is not necessary under federal law for a federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same–state” residents.
There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information regarding any such requirements."

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you the rule maker on this matter.
I get your point, but it's not your call.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Florida, I can give or sell a firearm to a family member, friend or stranger as long as they are a resident of the state and reached the proper age, 18 for long guns or 21 for pistols, and are not forbidden to own.

Florida State Requirements for Purchasing Firearms​

While Florida follows federal law regarding gun purchases, it also has its own laws. The state does not require a person to have a permit for firearm purchases, but does require dealers to do background checks on buyers. This is not required of private sellers. Additional requirements to purchase a gun in Florida include:
  • Purchaser must be at least 21 years of age, but 18-year-olds can buy long guns as long as they are a law enforcement or correctional officer.
  • Person purchasing a handgun must live in the state of Florida. They can buy long guns in other states as long as the sale follows the laws in that state.
  • Legal permanent resident aliens living in Florida can purchase a firearm, but they must show an alien registration number. Nonresident aliens temporarily in Florida must show a border crossing number, known as an I-94, with a valid exception document.
  • There is a three-day waiting period, excluding weekends and state holidays, between purchasing and delivering any firearm. Counties and municipalities can enact local ordinances that lengthen the waiting period for up to five days.

The state does not limit the number of guns that can be transferred in one transaction. It considers the transaction complete once the buyer fills out and signs A.T.F. Form 4473. Additional transfers require separate background checks, no matter when they occur, even if it has been only a few minutes from the last transaction.

Federal Gun Laws and the Transfer of Firearms​

According to Title 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3), an unlicensed or non-dealer can transfer guns to another unlicensed or non-dealer if they reside in the same state, but it is illegal for them to transport or receive a firearm from a seller living in another state. A private seller cannot sell or deliver a gun to a purchaser who does not live in their state.
In addition, Title 18 states that it is illegal for a private seller to sell a gun to a private buyer if they have reason to believe that an individual cannot possess or receive it under federal or state laws. If private buyers and sellers breach these requirements, the transaction is illegal, and both parties can face severe legal repercussions.

ATF website

"What recordkeeping procedures should be followed when two unlicensed individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?​

When a transaction takes place between unlicensed persons who reside in the same state, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. An unlicensed person may sell a firearm to another unlicensed person in their state of residence and, similarly, an unlicensed person may buy a firearm from another unlicensed person who resides in the same state. It is not necessary under federal law for a federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same–state” residents.
There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information regarding any such requirements."

Same in TX and AR💪

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well except class xxx (I forget the numbers) weapons, aka full auto,sbr,suppressors,dd.
But we can still trade those semi fully auto thingies with the infinity self reloading exploding peace keepers🤣😂🤣😂🤣

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal rules do not apply to in state transfers,unless required by state law.Did you not read my post? I said clearly,depending on the state,depending on the state.Read the appropriate parts of the GCA68. No one is advocating breaking laws,don,t assume that they are,don,t assume you,re the final arbiter of in state transfers either. Treasure_Hunter quoted you the facts as per ATF above,read and file away for future reference,look before you leap.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's please try to keep comments and thread cordial....thanks....

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm looking for pre 1898 antiques, as they are not regulated and do not have to go through an FFL to be shipped. Also black powder guns of any age will work as well.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, come to NYC they litterally litter the shoreline here in places. I don't take them, just call the cops and they take them, they're as common as sea shells in some places. People don't believe me sometimes when I tell them stuff like this so I took a picture, this is three of them in situ, my boot prints next to them:
20220721_020740.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread